Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-01-2018, 04:23 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Nukeneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Northern Nevada
Posts: 277
Blowout!

Traveling this last Thanksgiving, I had a blowout on one of the cheap Rainier tires on my WhiteHawk. The tire caused damage on the fender skirt to where it needs to be replaced. I contacted Jayco to get a replacement and I was advised I had to go through my dealer or another local one. I purchased my TT at a dealership about 2 hours from home so I was referred to a closer dealership. After going to the local dealership's parts and service dept, I was advised Jayco had the part in stock and it was $39.95. So far so good. I was then advised Jayco charges anywhere from $75-$150 freight to have it delivered to the dealership for me to pick up. I about crapped my pants! I was also told that until I placed the order, they could not provide me the cost of shipping. Needless to say I walked out without buying the part.

So my question is: Is this dealership trying to pull a fast one and gouge me out of more cash or is Jayco truly that inefficient that it would cost that much to ship a lightweight plastic part?
__________________
2015 Jayco White Hawk 28dsbh
2014 Ford F150 4x4 w/Ecoboost
H/D tow package

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:36 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
ALJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Sparwood, BC
Posts: 2,800
Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
In a online RV parts store it might be cheaper for the part and shipping. Most RV parts are standard items.
__________________
2014 Ram 1500 CrewCab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 3.92 Rear and Air Lift 1000
2005 Jayco Jay Feather LGT - 29Y GVWR-7000 lbs.
Dexter Axle Lift 4-9/16" - installed with sub-frame.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:01 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Las Cruces
Posts: 1,148
Part of it depends on how fast you want it.

But, now days the postal services (UPS< FedEx and USPS) have started charging a lot more for larger items, no matter how much they weigh. And no, they can't tell how much until they measure the box. Of course, someone could measure it before you decide to buy it, but, that implies some extra work on their part at the risk of you not buying it.
__________________
2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHOK (sold)
2017 Ford Powerstroke 6.7, Crew, 4x4 (sold)
2018 Toyota Highlander
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:09 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: West Central Wisconsin
Posts: 274
When we had one ordered for our TT I was told that there needed to be so much extra packing around the skirt, so it wouldn’t be damaged during shipment, and sometimes the packing weighed more than the skirt itself. Ours was also the victim of a blowout.
__________________
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK
2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty SB CC PSD 4x4
bluie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:12 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Missouri City, The Republic of Texas
Posts: 5,063
The cow has already knocked down the fence and run off, but, TPMS!
__________________
Cheers,
T_

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:57 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
troutslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NW AR (God's Country)
Posts: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukeneck View Post
Traveling this last Thanksgiving, I had a blowout on one of the cheap Rainier tires on my WhiteHawk. The tire caused damage on the fender skirt to where it needs to be replaced. I contacted Jayco to get a replacement and I was advised I had to go through my dealer or another local one. I purchased my TT at a dealership about 2 hours from home so I was referred to a closer dealership. After going to the local dealership's parts and service dept, I was advised Jayco had the part in stock and it was $39.95. So far so good. I was then advised Jayco charges anywhere from $75-$150 freight to have it delivered to the dealership for me to pick up. I about crapped my pants! I was also told that until I placed the order, they could not provide me the cost of shipping. Needless to say I walked out without buying the part.

So my question is: Is this dealership trying to pull a fast one and gouge me out of more cash or is Jayco truly that inefficient that it would cost that much to ship a lightweight plastic part?
I'm guessing the dealer is adding some profit there. There is a website where you can purchase Jayco parts. It may be better for you to order it and replace it yourself. Ill try to locate that website or you can do a search.
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:02 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
troutslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NW AR (God's Country)
Posts: 2,051
Here's the place I was thinking of...may be worth a try.
://www.jaycorvparts.com
__________________
Skip

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:20 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 16,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukeneck View Post
I was then advised Jayco charges anywhere from $75-$150 freight to have it delivered to the dealership for me to pick up.
It might be too big for UPS so it has to go freight. My golf cart top was $125.00. Unfortunately freight companies have minimums.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:37 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
wags999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Surprise
Posts: 2,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It might be too big for UPS so it has to go freight. My golf cart top was $125.00. Unfortunately freight companies have minimums.
X2 Most likely it has to go LTL and it's expensive.
__________________
2011 Toyota Tundra double cab
2015 27RLS


wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:09 PM   #10
Site Team
 
norty1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: James Island, SC
Posts: 22,903
I ordered one years ago and it came packaged in a huge wooden crate. There is a web site I have seen on this forum that will provide skirts for any make of rig.
Maybe someone will remember it.
__________________
Moderator
2011- 351RLTS Eagle, MorRyde suspension/pin box,
2017- F350 6.7 PSD Lariat FX4,SRW, SB,CC
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:18 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dale Hollow Lake Tn/Ky
Posts: 2,525
Don't remember the specifics but did some online research and found the exact replacement for my 2014 White Hawk and it cost right at $100 to my door. I ordered it for the specific model and year and it was an exact replacement.

Screw going thru Jayco unless it is a warrantee item.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:22 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,650
Try this place they should have what your looking for, hopefully cheaper.

Lookup-our-skirts.com | Fenders for RV's | RV Fender Skirt Lookup | RV Fender Skirt Search | RV part diagrams
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:46 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Quantum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: ON
Posts: 831
I have the Rainiers on my 2015 Whitehawk.

Any sign they were wearing out? Did you check PSI regularly?

We're heading to Florida in about 4 weeks, hope my Rainiers are still good for that trip. I keep my trailer on blocks during storage in the winter, so I'm hoping that I've treated my tires well. I was thinking 4-5 years out of them before I order new tires.

On my previous trailer I had GY Marathons that I kept for 5 years. Then I bought new GY Marathons which lasted until I sold it (3 years).

I also plan to keep my speed around 62MPH and aired at 63PSI.
__________________
2015 Jayco WhiteHawk 28BHKS Summit Edition
2021 Ford F-150, 4x4, 3.5L Ecoboost, Max Tow
Quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:14 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Twin Falls
Posts: 930
Most often the guesstimate is much higher than the actual cost, I think you should just purchase it, support your local dealer, it’ll be fixed and you can be ready for your next trip
__________________

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:05 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
bearcat77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Fairfield
Posts: 214
They tried to pull that same thing on me, however I all wanted was the original shower curtain that came in the trailer. You can imagine my reaction to paying $75 to ship a shower curtain. I talked to multiple people at the dealer, they wouldn’t budge. I talked to multiple people at Jayco, they wouldn’t budge. So then I found contact info for the manufacturer of the shower curtain. First I tried to order directly from them. After some debate, they decided they couldn’t sell directly to me. So then I proceeded to tell them how Jayco was trying to gouge me for outrageous shipping on their products. Later that day, I get a call from someone new at Jayco saying they just had one of their parts manufacturers call them wanting to know how an end consumer got their contact information. I think this person wanted the whole situation to go away, so after getting the whole story from me again, called the dealer herself, and worked out a shipping cost of $13 for me. Still a little high in my opinion, but I went with it, and the saga came to a close.

Moral of the story: yes, Jayco and the dealer will try to rip you off if you order through them. But yes, you can get around that if you are willing to fight.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:03 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dale Hollow Lake Tn/Ky
Posts: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
Most often the guesstimate is much higher than the actual cost, I think you should just purchase it, support your local dealer, it’ll be fixed and you can be ready for your next trip
Couldn't disagree any more with that statement!! Dealer quotes etc are based purely on profit and have nothing to do with what it really costs them. You are miles and dollars ahead if and whenever you can get a replacement product direct or even better, upgrade to a better product which I would have done in a minute when replacing a shower curtain.

The matra of support your local dealer is miss guided. That is the same dealer who will gouge you at purchase time and will find ways to put your $$ in their pockets at any opportunity. The fact is that local dealers 99 times out of 100 are not competitive in pricing. That may be a factor of a lot of things [shipping, floorplan costs, but the biggie is "profit". The higher volume dealers, just like in auto sales" can offer a better purchase price. My RV's have been to a dealer for service exactly once over the history of 3 new units over a 40 year history. Sorry but the internet has opened the door to parts, services, and info that make DIY a whole lot easier.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:11 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Jagiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 9,814
Do you know the part number of the skirt yo need? If so, go online do some web searching. I took a generic look at Amazon, most of theirs were around $115-$150 each, some with Prime, so free shipping. There are also a number of online RV part stores for comparisons.
__________________

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:32 AM   #18
Site Team
 
FPM III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fayette Ridges of PA, USA
Posts: 5,254
I replaced both fender skirts on my TT in August of 2016 with ones purchased from Replacement RV Parts & Fender Skirts - AC Shrouds & more - IconDirect.com. They have them for just about any make. I paid $125 for each of them and with shipping the total price out the door was $288.17. They have all the dimensions so you can measure accurately and order the correct one for your RV.

I judged them of better quality than the original Jayco skirts they replaced. The only issues I experienced was that they were not pre-drilled- not even the hole to insert the crank to open/close the slide-out manually (you'll need a hole saw for that one) and some of the places where the screw should go didn't line up exactly with the screw hole on the trailer.

I had a blowout about a month after I put them on. The skirt survived undamaged, just some of the screws pulled out from the trailer (none pulled through the skirt). I screwed them back in and everything was fine.
__________________
MODERATOR

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:52 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
RichR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: NW PA
Posts: 205
Try here: http://tweetys.com/tandem-fender-skirts.aspx?page=2
__________________
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 F150 Ecoboost Crewcab
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:07 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Wireman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Murrieta
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Couldn't disagree any more with that statement!! Dealer quotes etc are based purely on profit and have nothing to do with what it really costs them. You are miles and dollars ahead if and whenever you can get a replacement product direct or even better, upgrade to a better product which I would have done in a minute when replacing a shower curtain.

The matra of support your local dealer is miss guided. That is the same dealer who will gouge you at purchase time and will find ways to put your $$ in their pockets at any opportunity. The fact is that local dealers 99 times out of 100 are not competitive in pricing. That may be a factor of a lot of things [shipping, floorplan costs, but the biggie is "profit". The higher volume dealers, just like in auto sales" can offer a better purchase price. My RV's have been to a dealer for service exactly once over the history of 3 new units over a 40 year history. Sorry but the internet has opened the door to parts, services, and info that make DIY a whole lot easier.
X3 I will pay fair value if my local dealer is close to the internet price. I have negotiated a price based on the part shown on the internet.

They have been willing to match it. Huge markup on these parts from the dealers. I'm not going to bend over and smile just to let them make a sale.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.