Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-03-2022, 05:08 PM   #1

Blue/Red Valves Leaking

Hi everyone,

I have a 2016 Jayco Jayflight TT. Recently, there's a pair of blue/red valves located on the rear/right side of the trailer that have started leaking.

It's gotten progressively worse where I fill up a 5-gallon bucket a day whenever I have city water connected or when I turn on the water pump.

Can anyone tell me what these are for? They are not from the fresh water holding tank, they are not the drain valves for the fresh water tank, they never had an on/off lever. They're there for a reason but I can't figure it out.

Also, there is some kind of pump at the rear of the trailer under the rear bunk that seems to be connected to those valves.

Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4133.jpg  
MannyECG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 05:19 PM   #2

Those are the low point drains for the hot (red) and cold (blue) water lines.
There should be either release valves on both or at least caps that go over the open ends.
They let accumulated water in the lower lines drain when you winterize, or put your rig up for any length of time.
You should at the least cap them off, but better if you go to Lowes/Home Depot and in plumbing dept get some "shark bite" or "gator" type push on valves. This will allow you to empty the lines by simply turning valves on/off.
2022 Jayco Jay Feather 24RL
Grumpaw374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 05:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyECG View Post
Hi everyone,

I have a 2016 Jayco Jayflight TT. Recently, there's a pair of blue/red valves located on the rear/right side of the trailer that have started leaking.

It's gotten progressively worse where I fill up a 5-gallon bucket a day whenever I have city water connected or when I turn on the water pump.

Can anyone tell me what these are for? They are not from the fresh water holding tank, they are not the drain valves for the fresh water tank, they never had an on/off lever. They're there for a reason but I can't figure it out.

Also, there is some kind of pump at the rear of the trailer under the rear bunk that seems to be connected to those valves.

Thank you in advance.
Typically those are the low-point drains for your trailer’s hot and cold water lines. There usually is a T-valve just inside the trailer for each of those (mine are in the bathroom vanity.) If the handle loosens and pops up, it will leak. Find them and check to make sure they are snapped down tight. They are hard to push down, especially with water in the line, when they are fully closed, you should hear a click.

A lot of us have installed quarter-turn valves on the end of the lines outside the coach. Much easier to deal with.

As for the pump, I’m not sure how that would play into it. You might post your trailer model for others to respond.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 05:21 PM   #4

Those look like low point drains. There should be some kind of a valve those pipes are attached to straight up in side the trailer. I use mine at the end of every trip to drain the pipes, and water heater.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 05:31 PM   #5

Funny, but it depends on the manufacturer as to whether there are valves or just caps.
My new 2022 Jayco has valves, but my prior rig, a 100 grand class c from another maker, only had slip on caps to cover the line ends...no valve which might have cost 3 bucks, but a simple 25 cent cap.
2022 Jayco Jay Feather 24RL
Grumpaw374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 06:00 PM   #6

Check inside your trailer and these pull up valve's should be on the other end. If as shown if these are dripping then they might need to be pushed down about another 1/8to 1/4” and it should stop the drip. If they still leak you might need to replace the “O” rings in each
Attached Thumbnails
23483B51-E5DF-4F89-BBC5-FC7F77F1B706.jpg  
Old 04-03-2022, 06:42 PM   #7
Site Team

If capped you have no way to drain them when winterizing.

The valves above them may need exercising a few times to see if that fixes the leak.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 06:50 PM   #8

As others have already stated; those appear to be typical low point drains for the hot and cold plumbing lines. Go "vertically above" that area of where they are in the RV, be it a storage area, under a bed or couch; whatever; get "above" them and search around for a pair of pull/push valves, mentioned previously. Push and pull these a few time to reseat them. Then set them to closed by pushing them.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 08:35 PM   #9

Thank you everyone for that information.

However, there is a low-point drain towards the front, which you can turn a lever to drain the fresh water tank. Another thing that makes me think it is not a drain valve is that it wasn't leaking before, then it started leaking a few drops, now it's leaking more.

I'll take all of your recommendations and check under the bunk to see if there are any shut-off valves.

In googling this, the most common thing that I kept finding was the low drain valve. Therefore, question...if I do cap them off in any manner, it won't back the water up on those lines where I start getting flooded inside the trailer due to the backup of the water that is currently leaking out?
MannyECG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 10:16 PM   #10

You mentioned that your hooked up to city water so I’m asking if you have installed a pressure regulator. I’m on my second regulator as my trailer is now 12 year’s old. 1st one had what looked like lime deposits. Having too much pressure might possibly make them leak.
Attached Thumbnails
31183843-D41B-49FB-B890-BBC078252C2E.jpg  
Old 04-03-2022, 10:44 PM   #11
Site Team

snip...
Quote:
Therefore, question...if I do cap them off in any manner, it won't back the water up on those lines where I start getting flooded inside the trailer due to the backup of the water that is currently leaking out?
No, water won't back up into the TT, They're there to drain all the plumbing lines inside. I've had one start to drip, and had to relace the o-rings on it. We have T handle valves inside, directly above those tubes. There's a metal spring clip that slides off, then the T handle will lift out. Don't lose that clip! It's small and easily dropped. I do take them apart every year or two to lube the o-rings with plumbers grease so they work freely.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 10:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Thank you everyone for that information.

However, there is a low-point drain towards the front, which you can turn a lever to drain the fresh water tank. Another thing that makes me think it is not a drain valve is that it wasn't leaking before, then it started leaking a few drops, now it's leaking more.

I'll take all of your recommendations and check under the bunk to see if there are any shut-off valves.

In googling this, the most common thing that I kept finding was the low drain valve. Therefore, question...if I do cap them off in any manner, it won't back the water up on those lines where I start getting flooded inside the trailer due to the backup of the water that is currently leaking out?
The white valve/drain is to drain your FW tank when necessary. Totally separate from the blue/red, which allow you to drain the distribution lines to your sinks, shower etc. The water stays in the lines until you open them. No, it won’t cause a backup into your trailer anymore than closing your outside hose bib would cause water to back up into your house.

If you turn off the city connect, at some point the leak should stop. Tunce‘s suggestion about the regulator is a good one. Increased pressure could be exacerbating the leak. If you do find T-valves and shut them, outside quarter-turns are still a benefit. And a lot easier to deal with.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote