Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-07-2023, 10:17 PM   #1

Brake adjustment

The brakes on some of the wheels on my 2018 Jayflight 26rls will automatically adjust to the point where the wheel drags. I have adjusted the brakes several times to the point where then wheel turns freely but after a little while it will start to drag again. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and what I need to do to correct the problem?
Mikecorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 08:03 AM   #2

I think a small amount of drag is normal from what I have heard on adjusting brakes manually, (turning the adjustment nut and spin the wheel until it grabs, then back off the nut sightly). As long as the wheel spins freely I think hearing a bit of drag sounds worse than actual physical dragging that may be taking place. If the shoes are abnormally/prematurely worn or the drag stops the spinning wheel then something sounds wrong.

"If everyday is a break-even day, I'm good with that"
2020 JayFlight SLX 287 BHS, UVW 6,180 lbs
2015 RAM 1500, 8spd, 4x4, 5.7L, TowPak, 3.21 ratio, Fastway e2 2-Point Sway, AirLift 1000, GCWR 13,800lbs
1998 Coleman Redwood Pop-up (sold2020)
2000 Ford F-150 SuperCab (sold2018)
JDug66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 01:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDug66 View Post
I think a small amount of drag is normal from what I have heard on adjusting brakes manually, (turning the adjustment nut and spin the wheel until it grabs, then back off the nut sightly). As long as the wheel spins freely I think hearing a bit of drag sounds worse than actual physical dragging that may be taking place. If the shoes are abnormally/prematurely worn or the drag stops the spinning wheel then something sounds wrong.
Thanks for responding. It seems to be occurring on the same wheel, the other three have little to no drag. It doesn't make noise, but there is a noticeable "pull" at lower speeds.
Mikecorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 07:08 PM   #4
jtw

Slight drag on the wheel is fine, if you feel trailer pulling while braking I would pull wheels and drums off for an inspection.
Old 02-22-2023, 05:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtw View Post
Slight drag on the wheel is fine, if you feel trailer pulling while braking I would pull wheels and drums off for an inspection.

I agree. My trailer pulls with no noticeable issues.

I chased this on mine. Even took it to a trailer shop. They checked it all and could’ve had me pay them for some work, however they said it was fine. I had one that seemed to not turn as freely as the others. They even checked to make sure the bearings weren’t too tight, but those were good too. Just old tech that’s imperfect.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes sticking, travel trailer