Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2018, 09:11 PM   #1

Brand new camper with faulty carbon monoxide/propane detector

Brand new to the forum. Brand new Jayco owner. Unfortunately, not a happy one. This post is largely venting, but maybe someone here will have a new idea we haven't thought of yet.

This saga is is still unfolding so we'll see how Jayco responds and handles matters. I'll do my best to provide an update once we get a resolution.

I bought a 2018 Jayco Jay Flight 145RB from through an rv show about a 6 hour drive from my home. Some of you are probably already thinking - oh man, should have bought local. We do have two RV dealers here in town, but they only deal in very large 20+ foot travel trailers, Airstreams and Sprinters. I was looking for either a tent trailer or a very small travel trailer and I wanted a model that had some off road capabilities.

Last Saturday we drove the camper home without issue. The next day we were moving it in the driveway (weird driveway setup so took some maneuvering). During this the carbon monoxide/propane detector started beeping. Trailer was completely closed. After getting the camper in place we unhooked the truck/tow power and the main battery fuse. We aired out the camper and then plugged the battery fuse back in. The detector would flash green for a while and then start alerting again. Basically, the alert for a carbon dioxide issue.

It is not hooked up to a running truck. The propane tank is off. We have reviewed all of the fuses and reset the breakers. There are no other propane cylinders in the camper. The battery on the camper has a full charge.

The dealer I purchased from is trying to help us get service. Unfortunately, the nearest Jayco dealer to me is 2.5 hours away. They are trying to get a local RV place to assist, but I'd have to pay for the service up front and then submit a claim to Jayco and we need their prior approval to do this. The selling dealer has suggested I contact Jayco directly as it might go faster. The local dealer doesn't even want to work on an RV they didn't sell. I'm waiting to call Jayco tomorrow. I've also sent a customer service email to the manufacturer of the detector.

To replace the detector myself would be less money/hassle than driving to the nearest dealer. But, if that's what I'm told I'd have to do (drive 2.5 hours) then I've come to the realization my warranty is likely worthless.

I'm sure this is going to end up long and thanks for reading if you made it this far. One final note. When I stated that I have a brand new camper that I can't use (because of the constant beeping) the service tech I talked to at our selling dealer (same one who did our pick up checkout/inspection) suggested I just cut the wires to the detector.
Sherri
SherriAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:22 PM   #2

Order a replacement detector from Amazon, install it yourself, and send Jayco corporate the invoice.
If they don't pay, it could be worse, and there are some things just not worth fighting over in life.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:25 PM   #3

a low battery will give the same indication.and if your camper was not plugged in in only takes a few days for it to discharge your battery. and btw it is a carbon monoxide warning
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:26 PM   #4

We checked the battery. Fully charged.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:58 PM   #5

If this is the worse thing that happened count your blessings.. Little over reaction to something which is most likely working properly. Open the windows air the unit out and plug your RV into house electric. Most likely the beeping will stop. Your all upset and haven't even contacted Jayco yet....putting the horse before the wagon to me.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:05 PM   #6

I mentioned in the post that we did air it out. Have also tried that a couple more times. While I personally haven't contacted Jayco my selling dealer has. To get it covered they are stating it has to be tested by a dealer. And again, trying to see if anyone has any ideas I haven't tried. Multi-prong approach to problem solving. Right now I don't have house power close enough to try that. As for working properly - even the dealer suspects it is defective.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:15 AM   #7

It does sound like a defective alarm. I see my 195RB has a Safe T Alert 25-742 propane/carbon monoxide detector. Looks like it would cost $50-60 or more online. I'm only an hour away from my dealer, but I would still try to negotiate with them to exchange a bad detector with a new one without taking my trailer back.
bigironcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:17 AM   #8
Site Team

If the alarm unit is less than 5 years old, date is printed on the back, call the number on the back label for Safe-T-Alert.

They should send you a new one.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:37 AM   #9

Since you are new to the forums, I will firstly welcome you and congratulate you on your purchase. If you spend enough time around here, reading different topics, you will come to find that this is really not even an issue worth venting about considering the nightmares that others have gone through or are going through. The carbon monoxide detector is an easily attainable, easily replaced piece that is considered to be a wear item, much like brakes or tires. They have a life expectancy and require replacing.

Yes, yours is likely faulty, and that will be covered under your warranty. Heck, you may even get the part shipped to your door for free and you just have to do the basic install which involves 2 mounting screws and a wire or two.

Aside from airing it out, making sure you have proper voltage going to it, etc. there is a chance that fumes from the RV antifreeze can set it off. If yours is winterized this may be a consideration - it has happened to me twice and also to others on here.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:10 AM   #10

Ok, you have vented. We all can understand the frustration when faced with a problem on a brand new anything. Something I hope you take away from this thread is that RV'ers quickly learn that it is often cheaper and easier to take care of minor issues themselves rather than dealing with a dealer. Local or 2 1/2 hours away, its way more trouble to drag your RV to get something like this addressed. Buy one online and install it yourself. Keep the original and the receipt and take it to the selling dealer when you have a big enough issue to take it in.

It is unfortunate that the RV industry and quality customer service is most often something you don't find and dealers. Get a hot glue gun, a staple gun, a circuit tester, and some basic hand tools and you can fix 90% of the bad build items on your RV.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:12 AM   #11

Try pulling the fuse

We had this issue a year ago. We tried everything thinking there was a problem. Finally, we just got frustrated and pulled the fuse. (We had open windows and air the fans going due to warm weather and had checked the pilots, and propane appliances. We could smell no propane.) We needed the TV antenna, so in the morning put the fuse back in. The pulling of the fuse seemed to have reset the detector. If there was a problem, it would have started sounding again. It has happened once since, and the same procedure worked.

Check your fuse panel, ours has the fuses labeled. You might check the users manual for a listing of the fuses if it is not labeled. Take the fuse to the detector out and leave it out for a few minutes, then replace it.

Hope this works.
Cindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:14 AM   #12

My DW placed a wet mop cover from a Swifter wet jet on the floor (I'm guessing to close to the alarm sensor). Location seams to be a concern for faulty alarms. I mean propane gas is heavier than oxygen so why is it in the kitchen (or close) with all those cleaning and cooking items. I would prefer it to be in the living room area.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:57 AM   #13

Contact Jayco directly with your Vin #. Many members have stated Jayco has authorized repairs to be done locally, or have Jayco has sent the parts to the owner, who has replace the defective component themselves.

I would rather have a bad CO/gas detector that goes off for no reason, than it failing and not sounding when it should.

It is not a big deal, but I do understand not wanting to drive 2.5 hours each way to get it fixed. You will have other issues, as these things are all hand made, and are a rolling earthquake as you travel.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:47 AM   #14

have you tried vacuuming the inlet port for the detector? Sometimes dust can be an issue. Also, these things often trigger for any kind of vapor in the area. Are there any other chemicals, cleaners, dryer sheets (some people use as mouse repellent) in the vicinity of the detector?

Also, the detector is also a very good low battery detector. Mine always starts beeping as soon as power is a little low. Easy to check this by plugging the trailer into shore power and seeing if the beeping stops in a few minutes.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:53 PM   #15

Making coffee or cooking would set ours off. We pulled the fuse and put it in only at night for safety These little units dont have many cubic feet to disspate vapor.

Yes a low battery sets it singing too.. when it happens boondocking in the middle of the night everyone is awake.

But having it alarm constantly would be annoying.

This to me is worth trying to fix yourself vs a long drive and wait for service.

I love the term "rolling earthquake". Especially in mud season when potholes bloom in abundance. Stuff works loose.. Check the wiring connections.

We participated in an earthquake driving home from FL.. Snow and ice makes rough surfaces. One pot shook the screws out of the handles.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:50 PM   #16

how to test to make sure propane sensor is working

Once you get a handle on this, here is something to keep in mind.

You should test the propane tester at least once a year. But, to get a real test if it is actually detecting a gas leak (as opposed to a test button works), take a butane lighter. Do not light it, but with gas escaping, hold it within a inch or two of the alarm. Butane will trip the alarm. Afterwards, blow into it a few time to clear the sensor.

You want a CO/propane detector that you know works as opposed to a test button that works but a sensor that doesn't.

And these have a 5 year working life after being turned on. It's worth replacing when it reaches it's posted working life.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:09 PM   #17

I would ask the dealer you bought it from to send you a new detector with the promise that you return the bad one. A month or so after we first bought our Greyhawk motorhome, the main house door handle broke. There was a splined pin at the bottom of the handle that would fall out. We were out on a day trip at the beach when we tried opening the door and it wouldn't.

We bought our motorhome 800 miles from home and the nearest Jayco dealer that would work on our RV was 3.5 hours away. I called our salesman the next day and he put me through to the warranty department. They offered to send a new door lock as long as I sent the old one back. I put it in myself and sent the old one back the next day.

If the dealer won't send you a new one, contact the manufacturer of the detector and have them replace it under warranty.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote