Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-15-2021, 04:28 PM   #1

Breaker Circuit Question

Hello All, New to the forums. Found you while researching an electric problem I'm having.

I have a 2020 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 235RKS. It is parked (and plugged into a dedicated 30AMP outlet) at a permanent site at a campground.

When I use the microwave and pretty much anything else at the same time it trips the main breaker in the trailer and I lose all power. I've checked with the folks at the campground, who set me up, and they state it's a problem with the trailer. They used instruments to check to amps coming in and so on. Of course the dealer says it's a problem with the campground. This has been going on since I bought the trailer the summer of 2020.

While taking a closer look at the box I noticed the main breaker says 30 on the breaker listings, but to the right the breaker itself says 15. The one under it says 15 but it's got a 20. The rest of them seem to match. Should the top 2 also match? Maybe the breaker is labeled wrong? I did buy it brand new. I would hope it didn't come from the factory that way. But maybe with COVID they were short 30amp breakers?

Coincidence? Or did I possibly find the issue. If so, is there a quick easy fix? The dealer is over an hour away and the trailer is set up so driving the trailer to the dealer is not an option.

Thank you for any help or direction. Happy Day
Attached Thumbnails
P1030676 (2).jpg  
CCaroleann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 04:41 PM   #2

That top breaker should be 30/15 amps, and not 15/20 amps. Your trailer is where the problem lies. Must have been a manufacturing error if you bought it new.

Send that picture of the breakers to your dealer as proof that there is indeed a problem with the trailer.

Just checked my breakers and the first on is 30/15 amps, just as it should be.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCaroleann View Post
did I possibly find the issue. If so, is there a quick easy fix? The dealer is over an hour away and the trailer is set up so driving the trailer to the dealer is not an option.

Thank you for any help or direction. Happy Day
Yep you got the wrong breaker pair. As mentioned I would take the picture to your dealer and ask them to give you the right breaker. Otherwise just buy one, they aren't that expensive since you would spend more in gas.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:26 PM   #4

The breaker you need will probably be the Eaton BD3015. That is a 30 amp/15 amp model hence the model number. There will be a BD1530 which has the 15 amp breaker on the left and the 30 on the right. You need the 3015 to have the 30 located where you want it.

I looked on Amazon for it but they are out (perish that thought). I previously bought a BD2015 for my rig when I installed a 120 volt water heater and needed a new dedicated circuit.

I agree with Grumpy - just buy one and install it yourself. It is very easy and will save a lot of frustration of having to deal with a service department. Of course if they are willing to do a mobile repair quickly, go that route.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
The breaker you need will probably be the Eaton BD3015. That is a 30 amp/15 amp model hence the model number. There will be a BD1530 which has the 15 amp breaker on the left and the 30 on the right. You need the 3015 to have the 30 located where you want it.
Shouldn't make any difference since it is a single bus and there should be enough wire to go to either side. I've seen both used.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Shouldn't make any difference since it is a single bus and there should be enough wire to go to either side. I've seen both used.
Electrically it won't make a difference as long as the correct wires are on each breaker but it would be nice to have the breaker match the current label.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote