Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-30-2018, 08:25 AM   #1

Calgon?

I've seen several people recommend this to help keep black tanks clean. However the only place I can seem to find it is Amazon and it's like $40 for a box which is ridiculous. The only thing I can see in stores now is the liquid Calgon.

Is the liquid just as good or has anyone used it?
OdiN1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:59 AM   #2

I like to put a healthy shot of Dawn in the black tank with 10-ish gallons of water when travelling. Between that and copious flushing when dumping we keep the black tank and sensors working pretty reliably.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:04 AM   #3

Walmart has it.
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:12 AM   #4

We've been using the liquid for over 25 years... get it at Walmart. Works better than soap because it doesn't get all foamy when sloshing around.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:14 AM   #5

Some folks use Borax.

Jump

Jerry Mary and Daisy the Beagle
2022 Alante 29S
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #6

Walmart in 32oz. Bottles
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 04-12-2018, 03:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
We've been using the liquid for over 25 years... get it at Walmart. Works better than soap because it doesn't get all foamy when sloshing around.
Do you use Calgon exclusively .. or in conjunction with a pod? I have heard that Calgon is 1/2 of the "Geo method".

Thanks.
pschriro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pschriro View Post
Do you use Calgon exclusively .. or in conjunction with a pod? I have heard that Calgon is 1/2 of the "Geo method".

Thanks.
The other half I use is Dawn & about 2-3 gal of water in both tanks.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
The other half I use is Dawn & about 2-3 gal of water in both tanks.
So it'd be an either/or thing. I'll refrain from subjecting the black tank for solid waste ... but I do have to me mindful of paper potentially coating sensors. Thanks for the water quantity.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #10

Quote:
So it'd be an either/or thing. I'll refrain from subjecting the black tank for solid waste ... but I do have to me mindful of paper potentially coating sensors. Thanks for the water quantity.
We also refrain from #2 but allow the grandkids to use it when ever they need to.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:05 AM   #11

Why would you not use your black tanks for the purpose it's designed? If you have a black tank rinse, you really don't need to worry about tank sensors getting gunked up. We live in ours about 6 months a year, use the facilities for their designed purposes. I rarely use any chemicals, rinse the tank well after dumping, my sensors work as designed with no issues. Have no odors from either tank, and it really makes no difference if I dump the black tank half empty or full...key is using your black tank rinse properly and a clear section so you can see what is being discharged.

The GEO method works well. You can google it for full details, but, I find it's really not needed on an ongoing situation. I may do it at the end of the season when traveling. The GEO method also is using bleach occasionally to sanitize the tank.

Keys are plenty of water both during use and after dumping.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:43 AM   #12

After years of using the liquid Calgon plus a "pod". I stopped using Calgon and went exclusively with Happy Camper which works just as well (+ lots of water).

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:25 AM   #13

I buy the powder at Wal-Mart. It is near the bath bubbles etc. I also use Happy Camper.
Jblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:51 AM   #14

Normally I just put Pinesol in my tanks after I dump. I tend to use liquid Fabric softener as needed. It works the same.

I do not have a black tank flush, I have never used a wand. If the gauges start to act up, for the next few trips after I dump, after adding my 5 gallons or so of water back into the tank, I add the fabric softener with the Pinesol. Within two or three trips the gauges work properly again. I also periodically will add it to my grey tank too.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Why would you not use your black tanks for the purpose it's designed? If you have a black tank rinse, you really don't need to worry about tank sensors getting gunked up. We live in ours about 6 months a year, use the facilities for their designed purposes. I rarely use any chemicals, rinse the tank well after dumping, my sensors work as designed with no issues. Have no odors from either tank, and it really makes no difference if I dump the black tank half empty or full...key is using your black tank rinse properly and a clear section so you can see what is being discharged.

The GEO method works well. You can google it for full details, but, I find it's really not needed on an ongoing situation. I may do it at the end of the season when traveling. The GEO method also is using bleach occasionally to sanitize the tank.

I agree. Just use it!
Old 04-12-2018, 02:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post

Thanks for your insight. Avoiding solid waste when restrooms are readily available is what I consider preventative maintenance. I do have a clear drain elbow with a flish hose attachment to clear the black tank. A wand may be in order if I feel it's needed down the road.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:39 PM   #17

Have used the GEO method for many years.
Take a dump when I need to. Dump when I have to.
Use lots of water.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:14 AM   #18

What size is your black tank and how much do you put in each time you empty. Your experience is good enough for me. I ordered some today.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Thanks for your insight. Avoiding solid waste when restrooms are readily available is what I consider preventative maintenance. I do have a clear drain elbow with a flish hose attachment to clear the black tank. A wand may be in order if I feel it's needed down the road.
Actually its the paper products that cause much more of an issue. The "human solids" tend to "fall apart" and break down fairly quickly. The paper products is what gets hung up on sensors etc. I have rarely been able to "identify" human solids but paper is very easy to see when dumping.

I would consider adding black tank flush, much more convenient than using a wand.. JMHO..

Happy Camping !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
I agree. Just use it!
I third the motion!
With a family of 5 we use the black tank as needed. Never had any issues.
As said above..... key is lots of water.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote