Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-27-2014, 09:38 AM   #1

Cap Paint Fading

A friend's year old Eagle has an otherwise attractive brown front cap that is fading just below the roof line. He's not a computer guy, so I'm writing for him. A repairman told me this was not an uncommon problem when he worked for a Jayco dealer. Is it worth it for my friend to take it to the dealer, or would the repaint be temporary also? He and his wife use it as full timers, so going to the dealer is not a no-brainer.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:00 PM   #2

I would take it in and have them re-shoot it and put a good clear over it. The clear will take all the abuse and not fade. It might cost a little more unless Jayco steps up.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #3

I would contact Jayco first, possibly with pictures, and lay it on them for a decision.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:25 PM   #4

We had a 2012 that faded here. Jayco authorized a local painter to re-shoot and clear coat. I would contact your local dealer or Jayco.
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:08 PM   #5
Site Team

Our 2013 Eagle 284BHS with the dark front started fading/hazing a month after we purchased it. I noticed it on the top of the front cap and each month it was spreading across the top and then down the front of the cap. Nothing we did would stop the fading/hazing. Finally in December I contacted Jayco and sent them pictures of the fading/glazing front and they said I would need to take it into an authorized dealer/service center and they will assess the problem. The dealer took one look at it and said that Jayco would either replace the front cap or repaint it. The issue with gel coat is that has to be removed down to the fiberglass ($$$) in order for a paint job to last. The Eagle and I made the return trip home (120miles) and waited for the dealer to call back. Within 4 days the dealer called and said that Jayco was going to pay for the paint job. Since, the cap was going to be repainted, my wife and I agreed that we wanted repainted WHITE (a shade that would match the side of the Eagle). The dealer/service center agreed that they would repaint it in the color we requested as our 2 year warranty is about to expire anyway and extended warranties do not cover the exterior of the TT. The paint job is warranted for 5 years at the dealer. They did a GREAT job and we are EXTREMELY happy with the finished product, as you can see in the pictures below. First benefit is that the exterior cap temperature does not go over 200 degrees (like the dark front) in the direct sun, the max cap temperature so far with the white front has been 128 degrees in the direct sun light.
One thing I learned through this experience is that after talking to a few body shops about the fading/hazing, clear coat is not recommended to be used on a gel coat, unless you use the best product on the market (somewhere around $130 a gallon), the cheaper ones and gel-coat do not get along. They have had a number of the dark front TT's (multi-brands) with the same issue and had to repaint them, and they are expecting to get a LOT more as time goes on. I am very happy that Jayco followed through with correcting the problem.
Don
Click image for larger version

Name:	EAGLE 284BHS New Front.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	11072
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:16 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Dealer did a great job there!
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:05 PM   #7

Thanks, Mustang, I'll read this to my friend.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:10 AM   #8

Good choice going with the white color.
In past years, I had a Hobie Cat sailboat, which have the gelcoat finish. I was very active with the regional fleet events. The only boat color that looked any good after a couple years, was white. The dark ones always looked like crap after a couple years in the sun. You could extend that time by always keeping it covered, but the sun always wins in the end. Gelcoat is NOT paint. Don't fool yourself on this point.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:00 PM   #9

Subscribed

DW,DS,DD and Riley (Goldendoodle)
dan222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:15 PM   #10

As nice as the darker colors are (appearance wise), I'll never own anything but white or very light colors now, for reasons mentioned above. Heat. Had a majority metallic black Tiffin a few years back, and in the south in the summer, geez.

Pretty much been covered, but I'd vote for a repaint. Had to repaint the cap on our Cedar Creek. It was for cracking issues, but I did notice a lot of others with the fading of the cap, so it was just a matter of time.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:27 PM   #11

My 2013 334RBTS Cap began fading at the roof line and cracking around the clearance lights at the end of last year. Took the rig back to my local dealer who contacted Jayco, they took care of repairing and repainting the entire cap. I bought a Jayco due to the quality of the rig at a nice price. They have my business on the 5th wheel we are buying in 2016 due the outstanding customer support. I will give up some nice features other manufactures have just to have piece of mind that we were treated with utmost respect. Thanks Jayco for supporting your product!
Firefighter78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:48 PM   #12

well mine has what looks like a couple of stress cracks up top and two faded spots that look almost grey but I have been waxing the thing and couldn't get anything to make it look good until today ... I bought some meguires synthetic polymer wax paste and it shined super and didn't streak
Attached Thumbnails
front waxed.jpg   wax.jpg   front and side.jpg  
Old 08-29-2015, 10:43 PM   #13

My 2014 White Hawk 27 RBOK cap is fading and appearing to oxidize. I wrote to Jayco describing the problem - just waiting for a response. I suspect Jayco will make good and repaint it.
WhiteHawk is offline   Reply With Quote