Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-09-2017, 04:12 PM   #1

Capping the Outside Shower Lines

Has anyone capped their outside shower lines. The factory cut our lines too long, so they do not seal up properly on the faucet threads, and they leak. We do not ever use the outside shower and would not have it on the trailer if we had a choice.

I am wondering if I can thread a male schedule 40 PVC cap into female connector that threads onto the faucet. I cannot think of why it would not work - but thought I would check. Thank you!
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:43 PM   #2

I agree that exterior shower is worthless, I doubt many actually use it. I removed the shower head so I have more room for the hose in the box and it has now become the dog water bowl filler.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
Has anyone capped their outside shower lines. The factory cut our lines too long, so they do not seal up properly on the faucet threads, and they leak. We do not ever use the outside shower and would not have it on the trailer if we had a choice.

I am wondering if I can thread a male schedule 40 PVC cap into female connector that threads onto the faucet. I cannot think of why it would not work - but thought I would check. Thank you!
That would be a plug not a cap. If the threads are the same...(not all are) then it should work. Or, you can cut the pex put a plug in it and reseal it if you have the pex tool. I would move the lines inside or they would be subjected to freezing in winter.

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:27 PM   #4

A "shark bit" plug would be the easiest to use if you do not want to buy the rings and tool. Neither are very expensive.

Only thing I use our shower for is to pump water in to our FW tank.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

When I removed my outdoor kitchen this past fall I used two plastic threaded plugs on my cold/hot threaded female connectors. But, what I found in doing so can effect winterizing/de-winterizing...., possibility of trapped water or anti-freeze if your not careful.

In my case I noticed after de-winterizing/flushing my system once in Texas over the following days I could see a very slight tint of 'pink' in my bathroom water....., decided to pull the plugs from the female connectors and both lines still had antifreeze in them! Apparently the antifreeze didn't flush out with the rest of the system but was "gradually" working it's way back into the system.

I ended up removing the plastic plugs and installed two plastic on/off valves, avoids removing the plugs each time I winterize/de-winterize...., just open the valve and drain.

I didn't want to remove the hot/cold PEX water lines in question in the event of re-installing the kitchen should I sell the TT.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:54 AM   #6

If you were to disable the shower, you may get consider removing the TEE in the pex service lines, and replacing with a simple barb-barb through. This way you don’t get any stagnant stubs of water, and never have to worry about a sharkbite possibly failing.

Craig Bailey
New Hampshire
Jayflight 32 BHDS
Chevy 2500HD CC
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
If you were to disable the shower, you may get consider removing the TEE in the pex service lines, and replacing with a simple barb-barb through. This way you don’t get any stagnant stubs of water, and never have to worry about a sharkbite possibly failing.

Craig Bailey
New Hampshire
Jayflight 32 BHDS
Chevy 2500HD CC
I have a life long hatred of plumbing and take on projects like this only as a necessity. In the Spring I am going to investigate possible access to the lines feeding the outdoor shower from under the bathroom sink. Having completed a repair to eliminate a problem vent valve from the tank flush line this summer, I'm thinking that the lines to the outdoor shower might be visible from under the sink [inside]. At 70 and with short arms, reaching into tight spaces is more or less working blind. At present the existence of the outdoor shower only presents a problem when I winterize. After years of reminding myself, it is unlikely that I would forget that important step in the process.

If I did pursue the task, I would cut the lines as near as possible to the hot and cold feed lines and install a ball valve so I could just cut off water flow to the outside shower. That would solve the issue and leave the option of opening back up if a need were to arise down the road.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post

As a couple others have pointed out, if you just cap the lines there's still water in them that you won't be able to get out when you winterize. That could turn into a very nasty "oops" when it freezes. If you're determined to do this, I would recommend that you cut/cap where the lines tee off from the main feed lines. Could be hard to find, so good luck!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is online now   Reply With Quote