Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-04-2017, 08:52 AM   #1

Carbon Monoxide and propane detector?

We own a 2012 HT 26.5 RLS and this winter, while it is stored next to our house the detector started beeping all the time, we keep the FW plugged in all winter. Took a look at it and the printing on the front says it should be replaced after five years from date of retail sale. So, pulled it out and ordered a new one from Camping World, which, has now been backordered, surprise, surprise. We used to gripe about "built-in obselesence" in our cars a long time ago, but this seems to be another matter. Is there some sensor in this device that has a life-spam of exactly five years. We bought the FW in January of 2012 and in January of 2017, it started beeping. Just wondering, not really a big deal, except for the pretty large cost for such a small item. With shipping, if I ever get it, about $90 from Camping World but if I got to the company site, the price is $125 plus shipping. Seems like a bit of a rip-off, any ideas of where to buy it for less?
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:58 AM   #2

There's several on Amazon that are cheaper.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jal0710 View Post
Just wondering, not really a big deal, except for the pretty large cost for such a small item. With shipping, if I ever get it, about $90 from Camping World but if I got to the company site, the price is $125 plus shipping. Seems like a bit of a rip-off, any ideas of where to buy it for less?
I have a 2012 trailer and fortunately haven't heard a peep out of mine. When it needs replacing, I'll probably get it here.
MTI SAFE-T-ALERT RV CO/LP Carbon Monoxide Propane Gas Alarm White 35-742-WT | eBay
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:05 PM   #4

Mine has a 5 year recommendation but that is from date of manufacture. One I looked at had a 6 year life recommendation.

Either way safer to replace it.

You may want to clean the sensor port if you haven't as that may be what causes the beeping. Gently vacuuming or a little computer duster spray may clean out any dust buildup.

Some have battery backup power supplies that may need a new battery.

Stay safe!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:36 PM   #5

5 year recommendation to change it out is for one's own safety.

Mine started going off every couple of days usually real early in the morning.

5 years was right on!!!

$102.05 on Amazon with Prime 2 day shipping.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:48 PM   #6

I tried to find it on Amazon and was unable to do so. Guess I looked in the wrong place but mine was about $90+ from Camping World. Didn't go to eBay. Thanks for the comments.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:26 PM   #7

I got mine from Ebay also for around the $80 shown in TCNashville's post. I got the brown and it looks better (in my opinion).

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:47 PM   #8

I haven't looked into it yet because we don't have our new camper but I have read where some people have replaced the CO detector with ones that have a 10 year sealed lithium battery. One of the complaints with the OEM ones is that they pull 12V from the camper so it is a constant parasitic draw where one with an internal battery like this is going to be fine.

The only issue is the one that I saw mentioned once may not detect propane. Though if you have a sense of smell, I don't know how big of a deal that is. Also there is the issue of setting off propane detectors as your tank gets low and the smell gets stronger. Maybe that is another reason to go with a CO detector which doesn't have propane if you are comfortable with your nose and any inherent risk.

The CO detector is very important as it is odorless. As far as a shelf life of a detector, that is nothing new. Even if you look at CO and/or smoke detectors in your house they should be replaced every 5-10 years depending on the internals.

https://www.amazon.com/Kidde-Worry-F.../dp/B00FHW7PBS
Old 03-04-2017, 02:09 PM   #9
Site Team

I would not be the one suggesting you eliminate the lp detector. I would not be trusting my nose to my or my families life.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I would not be the one suggesting you eliminate the lp detector. I would not be trusting my nose to my or my families life.
Like I said I plan on using the OEM detector for now until the 5 year life (or whatever it is rated to) is up.

At that point I will evaluate my comfort level on what the replacement will be.

I have read of a lot of people getting false alerts on the LP detection when the tanks are low. This is in campers in general not necessarily with the detectors that Jayco uses or where they place them. The complaint with false positives that I agree with is that the alert is the same for CO and LP.
So when it goes off and you smell something, is it a false alarm that the propane smell is strong because you are near an empty tank or is there actually a CO issue that you wouldn't be able to smell and now assume is just yet another false alarm? I am sure any combined detector worth its weight will actually have some indicator to tell you what it is detected. However people get desensitized to alerts when they go off all the time.

I could see myself looking for a sealed lithium combined detector and if one is available at that point in time going with that over a 12v version. In a quick search I don't see any today. Another option would be to go with a sealed lithium CO detector and separate dedicated 12v LP detector Doesn't really help with the parasitic draw issue but if false alarms are an issue, then it would resolve the issue of not knowing what is wrong when an alarm sounds so one can provide the proper response.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:50 PM   #11
Site Team

Ours is a 2012 TT, but the date code on the back side is Sept. of 2011. It started going off as we were emptying it out last fall, so bought one to replace it this spring. I think it was picking up something from cleaning supplies, drier sheets, the neighbors car running in her driveway, or maybe just low voltage. They put it just inside the door, so it gets whatever is in the air outside. Our last pop up used to go off in the driveway, even when closed up. Very sporadic.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:34 AM   #12

The date code on the back of mine is Aug. 2011 for our 2012 FW. Hadn't looked at any of the battery operated ones, but they are intriguing for the ability to not absorb any 12 volt capacity from the battery. Doesn't look as if FirstAlert, whatever sells the battery operated ones.