Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-03-2021, 03:34 PM   #1

Caulk Removal

Any suggestions for removing what appears to be silicone caulking on the slide where the end trim meets the body? I want to re-caulk it and the existing caulk is all black from road grime. Also the trim is starting to pull away very slightly leaving a tiny gap where the caulking was.
Attached Thumbnails
Caulking Dining Slide.jpg  
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 03:59 PM   #2

This tool works good from Lowe’s. Be sure to check all those joints all the way around the slide trim. They call that slide window trim molding. All 3 of my slides were leaking in that joint causing me lots of headaches. That piece moves when the slide goes in and out and breaks the joint loose. I keep a close eye on mine now. This is me removing the silicone. I cleaned it good with acetone and replaced with Geocell. Much better caulk. Tape it off for a professional look.
Attached Thumbnails
B3A86883-852D-490B-819F-94A6D99B18EC.jpg   F1027782-1BBE-443B-8137-BC5913833E0A.jpg  
Old 12-03-2021, 03:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Any suggestions for removing what appears to be silicone caulking on the slide where the end trim meets the body? I want to re-caulk it and the existing caulk is all black from road grime. Also the trim is starting to pull away very slightly leaving a tiny gap where the caulking was.
I don't know, but I'm getting ready to do the same thing now, so want to see responses. One thing I believe, if it's factory, it probably isn't silicone. That's a good thing. They say never use silicone.
Old 12-03-2021, 04:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
This tool works good from Lowe’s. Be sure to check all those joints all the way around the slide trim. They call that slide window trim molding. All 3 of my slides were leaking in that joint causing me lots of headaches. That piece moves when the slide goes in and out and breaks the joint loose. I keep a close eye on mine now. This is me removing the silicone. I cleaned it good with acetone and replaced with Geocell. Much better caulk. Tape it off for a professional look.
Thanks Parrott! About two months ago I was parked next to a camper that had a beautiful 44' Mobile Suites and he was having the same problem. He used stainless self tapping screws about 10" apart to keep that trim snug against the body and it looked really nice and solved the problem. He used 1" screws so they would go into the aluminum frame. I'm going to do the same thing but I spray painted the heads of the screws the same color as the body on my Pinnacle. I'll post pictures when I get around to doing the project. Just want to remove as much of the old caulking out as I can. Do you need to be careful with acetone around the decals?
Attached Thumbnails
Painted Trim Screws.jpg  
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 12-03-2021, 06:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Thanks Parrott! About two months ago I was parked next to a camper that had a beautiful 44' Mobile Suites and he was having the same problem. He used stainless self tapping screws about 10" apart to keep that trim snug against the body and it looked really nice and solved the problem. He used 1" screws so they would go into the aluminum frame. I'm going to do the same thing but I spray painted the heads of the screws the same color as the body on my Pinnacle. I'll post pictures when I get around to doing the project. Just want to remove as much of the old caulking out as I can. Do you need to be careful with acetone around the decals?
Yes. Be careful on the decals. I only used acetone because the previous owner used silicone.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:00 PM   #6

If it is silicone, mineral spirits work well on removing silicone and isn’t as harsh.
jhogue46140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:42 PM   #7

I had the factory "stuff" starting to squeeze out of the end/side trim, and other areas. I used a razor blade up against the trim to score the stuff and then the sharp side of the blade to get under it from the side and it peeled right off. I'm as anal as Parrott and used painters tape and re sealed it with almond color so it blends right in. My old timer neighbor came over to see what I was up to and told me I was doing it all wrong. Yeah, like what does he know, right?? He takes the gun from me and runs a bead pushing the sealant instead of pulling it. He had to stop a few times to get a better grip on the gun and a full trigger again,... seamless. You can't even tell where he stopped and started again. Perfect. Good thing he caught up with me early in that project otherwise I'd be taking it all off and doing it over again.
(Handy) Old people are cool!! Lol!!
Old 12-04-2021, 06:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Looks similar to my '21 Pinnacle. Dealer had the same issue with his, he took the trim off and added longer screws, and no more isssues. my problem is that I have the paint package, and he mentioned i should be very careful in removing the trim piece or I could chip the paint. I am just going to add a little clear caulk to keep moisture out and save it for the dealer to fix. Unfortunately, he is over 300 miles away, so have to plan for it.
Attached Thumbnails
20211028_171319[1].jpg   20211031_153352[2].jpg  
Old 12-04-2021, 08:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhogue46140 View Post
If it is silicone, mineral spirits work well on removing silicone and isn’t as harsh.
It's what the factory uses, whatever that is. What removes the factory stuff?
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 12-25-2021, 01:26 PM   #10

Sadly, my manufacturer did use silicone. Nothing sticks to silicone, not even more silicone. Thoroughly clean off whatever was used. Then choose one of the quality RV caulks. Whatever you do, don't use silicone. You'll do this job again some day. So use a good caulk that's easier than silicone to remove.
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 08:43 AM   #11

I use a plastic putty knife to remove. Then use either mineral spirits or paint thinner to clean.
Sunlight destroys silicone!
saarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 05:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
Similarly, I've had good luck with a plastic "putty knife" scraper.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote