Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2020, 10:29 AM   #1

Caulking Questions

I have a couple of questions as I start to go over the trailer post winter. The trailer is not quite a couple of years old (new in October 2018 when we picked it up), and I noticed the seal around the fridge vent a little scalloped (pictures below), and most of the caulking and sealing that I have seen is less than ideal (see the mess they left behind in the picture).

I'm not overly concerned with the messy job (just a little cranky); however, the cracking/scalloping of the caulk is what I am concerned about. I think this should be cleaned up; however, should I just seal on top of that, or do I need to remove it first? I've got some OSI Quad on order (nothing is open around us to go and pick up), would that be the right stuff to use, and if I need to remove the old stuff, how should I go about doing that?

The other question is around the windows. It doesn't look like any sealant has been used around them, just what looks to be a seal that is built in. Is this enough, or should they be sealed also? I like the clean look; however, if it's a potential leak location, then I want to make sure that is maintained correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1957 (Large).jpg   IMG_1955 (Large) (2).jpg   IMG_1956 (Large) (2).jpg   IMG_1958 (Large) (2).jpg  

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:37 PM   #2

Colby, we have the same trailer, bought at the exact same time. FWIW, the caulking on ours isn’t any neater, but so far I’ve not had any leaks, even during heavy rains. One weird thing, though — the caulking on the top of the fridge vent (and pass-through storage doors) is an opaque yellowish color. Then, on the sides, it seems to change to a grayish caulk with a pebble finish almost like the roof material. I marked the change in the photos. There seems to be plenty of it to the point it oozes all over the place. My thought was to push some non-sag Dicor into any cavities around the edges for good measure. But I’ll be watching here to see what the experts say!
Attached Thumbnails
4D100EE2-4A83-4F9C-AAF8-63D276E012B2.jpg   A7F3F155-E1BD-46EB-AB58-32B97ECE4E91.jpg   A9493BDF-ADE8-46C4-AAEA-CFEDB7A218AE.jpg  
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:45 PM   #3

OSI QUAD is the correct sealant to use, only need to remove any old sealant that is loose otherwise just seal over the old stuff. Windows use a butyl tape between the window and trailer no need to caulk. Get up on the roof and check every six months and look for loose material, you can use Dicor over existing sealant and Eternabond tape over larger seams, around vents, etc.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:57 PM   #4

You should be able to see some of the Butyl tape being pressed out of the window frame. Try using something like a long toothpick and push it in between the window frame and the camper. It should feel like a thick sticky putty IF it’s there. If it’s not there I see a couple options 1) warranty? 2) Caulk the outside of the window, 3) Remove the window add the tape and reinstall the window(s)….
Below is the tape I use …

Dicor BT-1834-1 1/8" x 3/4" x 30' Butyl Seal Tape https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FCB4JS..._2eLNEbXFYGBJ7
Old 04-21-2020, 04:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Colby, we have the same trailer, bought at the exact same time. FWIW, the caulking on ours isn’t any neater, but so far I’ve not had any leaks, even during heavy rains. One weird thing, though — the caulking on the top of the fridge vent (and pass-through storage doors) is an opaque yellowish color. Then, on the sides, it seems to change to a grayish caulk with a pebble finish almost like the roof material. I marked the change in the photos. There seems to be plenty of it to the point it oozes all over the place. My thought was to push some non-sag Dicor into any cavities around the edges for good measure. But I’ll be watching here to see what the experts say!
It looks like the same person did both of our trailers! Glad to see that you aren't seeing any leaks. It's certainly not pretty...

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Old 04-21-2020, 04:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
You should be able to see some of the Butyl tape being pressed out of the window frame. Try using something like a long toothpick and push it in between the window frame and the camper. It should feel like a thick sticky putty IF it’s there. If it’s not there I see a couple options 1) warranty? 2) Caulk the outside of the window, 3) Remove the window add the tape and reinstall the window(s)….
Below is the tape I use …

Dicor BT-1834-1 1/8" x 3/4" x 30' Butyl Seal Tape https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FCB4JS..._2eLNEbXFYGBJ7
Thanks Colorado, I can see the black tape in behind the window frames, so I think all is well there, I was concerned that it wasn't enough, especially since all of the other side openings were sealed like there was a sale on caulking and it was going to expire!

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Old 04-21-2020, 04:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
OSI QUAD is the correct sealant to use, only need to remove any old sealant that is loose otherwise just seal over the old stuff. Windows use a butyl tape between the window and trailer no need to caulk. Get up on the roof and check every six months and look for loose material, you can use Dicor over existing sealant and Eternabond tape over larger seams, around vents, etc.
Thanks Sundancer, I was up on the roof and all looks good there, I need to give it a good scrub though, it's a little dirty. I had the OSI delivered yesterday, so just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit (still dropped below freezing last night) in order to clean up those seals.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Old 04-21-2020, 10:46 AM   #8

I have the opposite problem — have to tackle it before it hits 90* later this week. Ugh.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:49 PM   #9

Just for kicks, I called Jayco support to see what they originally used to caulk the outside vents and hatches on my model. She said Geocel (Proflex), but quickly added they can’t recommend a specific brand.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Just for kicks, I called Jayco support to see what they originally used to caulk the outside vents and hatches on my model. She said Geocel (Proflex), but quickly added they can’t recommend a specific brand.
This is what I got when I sent in a request through the customer service form asking what color my roof was and what types of sealants that they recommend (my roof doesn't look white to me, or it's really dirty...):

Thank you for contacting Jayco Customer Service. Below is what I have listed for your roof membrane material.

ROOF,DIFLEXII 102" BY RUNNING
FOOT WHITE NON-FLEECE TPO

For the roof items you will want to use the self leveling sealant.

All other items/components a silicone based exterior sealant will work.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Old 04-21-2020, 05:34 PM   #11

Did the same back in March and was also told TPO, but no color. I’ve touched up a couple spots around the gutter-corner trim with Dicor self-leveling caulk, but I don’t think I would use a “silicone-based” sealant on the sides based on what other JOFers have said. OSI or Proflex RV seem the way to go.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:54 PM   #12

On my front window on my 195rb I had a leak when I drove in the rain onto the bed. Finally traced it down and the sealant tape they use had a gap 1/4 wide that I could literately see out through the frame. After finding that I went over every window, door, hatch, light and supposedly sealed opening and re-caulked them with OSI Quad seal. Instant bond, almost 0 work time, soapy finger only tool that works.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:20 PM   #13

Interesting caulking job around the edges. I think the guy got paid by the tube of caulking. This is on all four corners...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1970.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	58114

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Old 04-25-2020, 10:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by colby View Post
Interesting caulking job around the edges. I think the guy got paid by the tube of caulking. This is on all four corners...

Attachment 58114
I think I can top you! Must be a 212QB thing.
Attached Thumbnails
3C2D3621-1E0D-46C6-94A9-61B81D67B151.jpg  
Old 04-26-2020, 07:07 AM   #15

I think they either by it by the barrel or have a pipeline to the manufacturer. LOL
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:47 PM   #16

Oh my , those are some pretty shabby caulking jobs. Must have needed to get it done before the lunch bell sounded.
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:49 PM   #17

Or it was after somebody drank their lunch.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:36 AM   #18

212qb

I also have the same trailer, same year. My front end leaked when I drove through rain storms. Dealer here said it was fine. Two summers later I finally convince Jayco to let me take it to independent RV service centre. They took front panels off and yes I had damage! Corner piece of wood had to be replaced. All from that same corner of iffy caulking! Water in belly too. Whoever did caulking on those models was not careful.

Just a heads up to keep your eye open on the front passenger corner. I know of another with same model and year and leaked the same as mine.
Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy View Post
I also have the same trailer, same year. My front end leaked when I drove through rain storms. Dealer here said it was fine. Two summers later I finally convince Jayco to let me take it to independent RV service centre. They took front panels off and yes I had damage! Corner piece of wood had to be replaced. All from that same corner of iffy caulking! Water in belly too. Whoever did caulking on those models was not careful.

Just a heads up to keep your eye open on the front passenger corner. I know of another with same model and year and leaked the same as mine.
Good to know, thank you so much!

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Old 04-30-2020, 11:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy View Post

Your travails, and others’, convinced me to do some preventative caulking on ours this past week. Filled all the edges and gaps along the corner trim, cargo doors, lights and front seams with clear Proflex. Helps me sleep better!
Attached Thumbnails
B959033A-916A-4E04-B04D-0411FF0009A3.jpg