Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-07-2020, 04:26 PM   #1

Changing tires on RV trailer - how to go about it

I know from reading a lot of threads that tires seem to age out around 3-4 years. The RV season starts for me soon and it's going to be the 4th year on the original tires I had on the RV when I bought it new.

So my question is how do people go about changing the tires. Do you order them online, ship them to your house, then get them changed at an RV place by towing your RV trailer there? Or do you jack up the RV, remove the tires (perhaps one side at a time) and get them replaced, then do the other side? Or do you order from the RV place and tow the trailer there to get them changed?
Formulaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:32 PM   #2

I buy my tires online from Amazon (Goodyear Endurance for $99 each) and then take the trailer to a local tire guy and get them swapped out for $10 a tire, including balancing.

https://www.amazon.com/Goodyear-Endu.../dp/B076VNXLD3
Old 02-07-2020, 04:56 PM   #3

I wanted to upgrade to higher pressure tires and was unsure my rims were adequate. I ordered my Goodyears mounted on new rims. When I got them I just jacked up each side (well chocked, had a good support in case the jack failed) and put on the new ones. Then I used my torque wrench on the nuts.

I sold my old tires and rims to a guy who needed tires that would hold air for local use only, I did not hide the age of the tires. Got a bit of my cost back that way and no disposal fee!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:06 PM   #4

“Formulaone “, I think we need you to answer that question for us.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:11 PM   #5

I bought my Goodyear Endurance tires from Discount Tire when they were having a sale, but I did it the hard way.

I jacked up one side at a time and took the tires off myself and then took them to DT for mounting and balancing. Then I reinstalled them myself using a calibrated torque wrench. I didn't want to take the chance of them jacking it up by the axles, plus I am very fussy about getting the nuts torqued correctly. Took a little longer but got it done right the first time.

I have had issues with DT cross threading lug nuts on my pickup. The last time they messed up two on one wheel and then said they could not install new lugs and I would have to go to another shop to have the work done, but they would reimburse me the cost. Wasn't a Happy Camper!
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:45 PM   #6
eow

Changing tires on RV trailer - how to go about it

I drop the front of the trailer, use jacks on both rear spring mounts to raise rear axle, remove both rear tires leaving rear axle supported and take them in to local tire shop with best price for new tires and balancing. Reinstall them in rear, and repeat for front after lifting up the front of the trailer.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
eow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:44 PM   #7

You do it anyway you want. I've jacked up the 5th wheel and take one tire to the tire center. I've had goodyear just replace all of them at once.

It is whatever your ability is.
mboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:02 PM   #8

Ordered my tires from Amazon, removed one tire at a time and had a local tire shop dismount then mount and balance the new tires. Sold the old tires and that covered the mounting and balancing of the new tires. As mentioned earlier, whatever works for you according to your abilities and facilities.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:17 PM   #9

Depending on how you've treated your tires, and which brand they are, I would probably run another season on them.

That said, I was able to remove my 4 yr old Rainiers and sell them on Kijiji for $100 for the set of 4.

I went online to Walmart and got 4x Carlisle Radial HDs for $60 a piece. I paid the local shop to install them on my rims.

To remove my tires, I lowered the front of my trailer, threw 2 jack stands under the rear frame and then lifted the front of my trailer with a 3 ton car jack. Then I used the A-frame jack to take the weight off the car jack. This is how I leave my trailer stored for the winter as well. No weight on the tires and I take them down to 25psi for the winter.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:13 PM   #10

I did kind of the opposite, kept the tires but changed the rims. Supported the 5th on the front landing gear and 2x4x16 cribbing with jack stands on top. I didn’t have to raise the 5th enough to get the tires free of the ground, maybe 4” shy. Then jack each axle at the wheel end enough to remove the wheel and then let the axle sag. Repeat 3 more times and you have the wheels ready to deliver to the tire shop in one trip.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:02 AM   #11

At home, I use a pair of 16,000 lb Rhino auto ramps to lift my trailer......one on each side, pull on, the rear tires on each side are off the ground....back on, the front tires on each side are off the ground. Lets you work on two tires / wheels at a time. No need for jacks, very stable
Old 02-08-2020, 07:28 AM   #12

I guess it depends on what resources you have or can get and your mechanical ability.
If you can/want to do it yourself, SAFETY FIRST! Jack your trailer with a floor jack or a bottle jack that will handle the weight. If you are breaking the lug nuts loose by hand, tire iron, 4 way, socket and ratchet, break the lugs loose before you lift it. When you lift it, lift it off the frame. Do not lift it off the axles, you'll bend them and have even bigger issues. If you decide to take it somewhere, make sure they do the same. Stand out there and watch. Once you get a side off the ground use either a jack stand that will support the weight or block it up with cribbing. You only need the tires off the ground an inch or two. Do the other side the same way. The trailer does not have to be connected to the tow vehicle to do this either. Take the tire and wheels off and head to your favorite tire store. Before you go and do all this, pay them a visit and get the deal done on the tires you want. This way if they dont have them in stock they can get them to the store in a day or two.

My rig is WAY to big to get in at my local Discount Tire store. I've got a LOT of tires from them and never had any issues and always had really good prices. I got Goodyear Endurance tires for my 5th wheel. They had a sale going on about this time of year and I purchased them but didnt take delivery for a couple months later. When it came time, I lifted my 5th wheel off the ground, pulled the tires and wheels off, and went to Discount. I kept my old tires, saved me on tire disposal fees, and sold them to help offset the cost of the new ones. Like previously posted, I didnt hide the fact that they are trailer tires and their age. The guy that bought mine was local and didnt care. He needed something that had tread, held air, and was round. I had Discount mount AND balance my tires. I also told them when they balance them I didnt want a ton of wheel weights in one spot. If it needed it then they were to break it down and move the tire on the wheel 180*. If it still came out the same I was t going to accept that tire and get me another one. I got them all back within an hour or so, got them home and put them back on and torqued the lugs accordingly.

Just the other day it was time for a rotation of the $900 Michelin's I put on my Yukon 10k ago. I could have done it myself, but I got lazy and Discount wasnt busy, so i had them rotate and check the balance. I was in and out in 45 minutes. I'm fortunate that they have a good crew that works there and most of them know me. Customer service is a BIG deal with companies so I always give them a big thumbs up if I get a survey and give good ratings with them on websites, which I think helps with my service on my next visit.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
“Formulaone “, I think we need you to answer that question for us.
LOL I'm just an ex-racer who loves Formula 1 (actually pretty much all racing) and who has a little one who races karts (state champion) and wants to get to Formula 1...I used to race motorcycles, kart, Formula Ford, Formula 2000 and Formula Atlantic way back in another lifetime. Now I tow a Jayco Toyhauler that we use for off road motorcycle riding and as a race trailer for my son's kart racing.
Formulaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulaone View Post
LOL I'm just an ex-racer who loves Formula 1 (actually pretty much all racing) and who has a little one who races karts (state champion) and wants to get to Formula 1...I used to race motorcycles, kart, Formula Ford, Formula 2000 and Formula Atlantic way back in another lifetime. Now I tow a Jayco Toyhauler that we use for off road motorcycle riding and as a race trailer for my son's kart racing.
Well putting the peddle to the metal is my kind of guy. I ordered my tires on line from “Real Deal Tires” and there was no state or fed tax on them ( quite a savings) and the date stamp on the tires was current. Took them to Costco ( 2 @ a time) left side then right and it took only a day. Made an appointment for first thing in the AM, out in 30 min. and back with the other 2 by noon and back home by 1:30 give or take and done for the day.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:48 PM   #15

I tell my son what tires I want and when he get them he pulls my rv to his shop about 200 yards from my house. When he's done he put in back in my storage building. Oh and I get really good discount on tires and service! Easy peasy!!LOL
Old 02-09-2020, 10:41 AM   #16

My tires are 3 years old. I will replace them next year. I've been going to the same tire shop for over 30 years. I will pull my trailer into their lot, have them change and balance the tires. While I can do all of this on my own, I'd rather support a local small business so they are there when I need them.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
My tires are 3 years old. I will replace them next year. I've been going to the same tire shop for over 30 years. I will pull my trailer into their lot, have them change and balance the tires. While I can do all of this on my own, I'd rather support a local small business so they are there when I need them.
X2
When you purchase a product online to save a few dollars and then expect the local business to do the dirty work for a token fee, don't be surprised if the local business is soon gone.
harryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 01:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryjr View Post
X2
When you purchase a product online to save a few dollars and then expect the local business to do the dirty work for a token fee, don't be surprised if the local business is soon gone.
Or...the local business doesn't have the physical space to accommodate 50' of truck and trailer, and their "token" fee makes no distinction between a customer carry-in or drive in. Yep, it's dirty work regardless of who does it.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:18 PM   #19

For Roger R

Where did you order your tires and rims if I may ask? Would you also share the size and cost? Thank You very much
swaggerstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 01:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulaone View Post
I know from reading a lot of threads that tires seem to age out around 3-4 years. The RV season starts for me soon and it's going to be the 4th year on the original tires I had on the RV when I bought it new.

So my question is how do people go about changing the tires. Do you order them online, ship them to your house, then get them changed at an RV place by towing your RV trailer there? Or do you jack up the RV, remove the tires (perhaps one side at a time) and get them replaced, then do the other side? Or do you order from the RV place and tow the trailer there to get them changed?
If you have to ask, take it to Discount Tire and have them do for you. Any reputable shop will know how to lift it and do it right.