Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-13-2021, 11:02 AM   #1

Circuit breakers

All the outlets on my eagle HT 28.5 are out. I checked the breakers and I found one breaker that is no good. Of course its The breaker that is marked AUX so I’m assuming that it is just mismarked or wired to the wrong breaker, Anyhow can you tell me how to get the breaker out? As always thanks for the advice,
ceasare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:48 AM   #2

If it is like my breaker panel there should be some screws on the faceplate. Once the front is removed you can pop out the breaker.
Attached Thumbnails
PD5500.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasare View Post
All the outlets on my eagle HT 28.5 are out. I checked the breakers and I found one breaker that is no good. Of course its The breaker that is marked AUX so I’m assuming that it is just mismarked or wired to the wrong breaker, Anyhow can you tell me how to get the breaker out? As always thanks for the advice,
What do you mean by NO GOOD? It is tripped. Did you reset it?? turn it hard off than hard on. Obviously, you didn't check the voltage if you didn't take the cover off.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:00 PM   #4

Like Cavie referred to, that breaker even if bad, should not kill everything. The only breaker(s) that would kill all would be the master breaker. On a 30 amp hookup that would be a 30 amp breaker. On a 50 amp hookup you would have a pair of 50 amp breakers.

You may have a problem elsewhere. If you have a generator, does the problem occur when that is in use?

If all outlets are out I would look upstream. Possibly a bad transfer switch, etc. Without voltage measurements you are just taking guesses.
Attached Thumbnails
Voltmeter.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:02 AM   #5

Hope I'm not barging in here. I have a similar problem with 2018 Greyhawk 29MVP. Circuit breaker marked "Main" 15 amp has tripped & won't reset even with all power removed. It's a GFCI and test button doesn't work either. Microwave & TVs (x2) still work as well as outlets in bedroom & overhead bunk. Only effect is outlets in bathroom, over sofa & end of kitchen counter inop. How can a 15 amp CB be "main" when the RV is 30 amp? Any thoughts? Thanks very much for the help
CW5AVRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:18 AM   #6
Site Team

I'll attempt to answer part of your questions here. You have 30 amps going into the breaker/fuse panel, but the breakers only supply 15 amps to their designated circuit. Just like your house that has, for example, a 200 amp breaker panel, but all the breakers are 15, 20, or 50 amps each. Same principle on your RV.

If the GFCI you're referring to is an outlet, it has to have power to it in order to test/reset.

To reset a breaker switch, you have to flip it to the off position first, then flip it to the on position to restore power to that circuit.

I believe you'll get some more replies on this, but it may be later this morning. I hope this helps.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW5AVRet View Post
Hope I'm not barging in here. I have a similar problem with 2018 Greyhawk 29MVP. Circuit breaker marked "Main" 15 amp has tripped & won't reset even with all power removed. It's a GFCI and test button doesn't work either. Microwave & TVs (x2) still work as well as outlets in bedroom & overhead bunk. Only effect is outlets in bathroom, over sofa & end of kitchen counter inop. How can a 15 amp CB be "main" when the RV is 30 amp? Any thoughts? Thanks very much for the help
1st 15 amp is not "main". The Main is either single-pole 30 amp or double pole 50 amp. If the bathroom GFI outlet is tripped. Push button to reset. It must have the power to reset. If it is a GFI Breaker in the panel it will have a yellow button on it. If that is the 15 amp breaker that you say won't reset. To reset the breaker you must turn it Hard off then Hard on.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasare View Post
The breaker is tripped. No need to take it out. Turn it off then on to reset. That's how it works. I can tell you have not checked the breaker for voltage as you do not know how to remove the cover.

Old 01-20-2021, 04:15 AM   #9

Thanks JFlightRisk & Cavie. I should have remembered power must be applied to reset the CB. However I will say the chart in the door does indeed say "Main" for this 15a CB. I get that the panel will have the highest amperage upstream. In my case it would appear that higher-rated CBs are downstream so the 15a is protecting 20a & 30a CBs. This can't be right. The CB is stamped 15a (Murray Type MP-GT2) so the chart label "Main" must be wrong. Either that or I'm misunderstanding what "Main" means here.
Attached Thumbnails
Murray Type MP-GT2 CB 15a-Main.jpg  
Old 01-21-2021, 10:21 AM   #10

Ok, I'm not a sparky.....
My understanding is a gfic will not reset without power or if they are bad. Yes they go bad.
Check for power(using a meter) and proceed. If you have power to breaker and it won't reset I'd say bad breaker. Listen to Cavie.
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:24 AM   #11

As an electrician of 38 years I can say we find the term "sparky" not very endearing. And yes, a GFCI breaker or receptacle needs to have power to reset.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:43 AM   #12
RPR

If there is another leg down stream from the GFCI and GFCI will not reset please check that out. Power to GFCI and will not reset I disconnect the down stream and see if it will reset before saying bad GFCI.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
As an electrician of 38 years I can say we find the term "sparky" not very endearing. And yes, a GFCI breaker or receptacle needs to have power to reset.
Get over being so PC...
I was a painting contractor for over 15 years and was considered a drunk(stereotyped).
I just ignored those comments. I live in the south, born up north called a "yankey" all the time, ignore that too.
Ok, off my rant!
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:35 PM   #14

Military avionics techs answer to "sparkchaser"--it's all good-natured. As for my GFCI problem, I should mention, I plugged a Costco multi-outlet block into each of the three outlets that are protected by this CB. I wanted the extra USB slots. Could they have caused the early demise of the CB? Just wondering how come an off the shelf CB would need replacing after only 4 years or so. Thanks for all the great advice
Old 01-21-2021, 11:47 PM   #15

I have seen many people reporting these Murray GFCI breakers going bad lately.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:40 AM   #16
Site Team

HD is phasing that brand out up here, and replacing it with a Siemens QF115ANP. Might be a better alternative if you're going to replace that breaker.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Siemens-...2276206?NCNI-5

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Thanks JFlightRisk & Cavie. I should have remembered power must be applied to reset the CB. However I will say the chart in the door does indeed say "Main" for this 15a CB. I get that the panel will have the highest amperage upstream. In my case it would appear that higher-rated CBs are downstream so the 15a is protecting 20a & 30a CBs. This can't be right. The CB is stamped 15a (Murray Type MP-GT2) so the chart label "Main" must be wrong. Either that or I'm misunderstanding what "Main" means here.
If you have a single-pole 30 in the panel, that is the main. If you have a 2 pole 50, that is the main. 50 amps is 240 volts. 30 amps is 120 volts. Since you have a GFI breaker in the panel I can only assume that you have a 50 amp 240 volt main. It seams they are only installed in MH's. 15 amps can not protect the 20's and 30's. If the 50 is in the center of the panel you can not access 240 volts. If the 50 is on the left end of the panel you can access 240 volts. Does this help?

Old 01-22-2021, 04:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Military avionics techs answer to "sparkchaser"--it's all good-natured. As for my GFCI problem, I should mention, I plugged a Costco multi-outlet block into each of the three outlets that are protected by this CB. I wanted the extra USB slots. Could they have caused the early demise of the CB? Just wondering how come an off the shelf CB would need replacing after only 4 years or so. Thanks for all the great advice
the multi-outlet block did no damage and the circuit breaker should have lasted much longer.

Old 01-23-2021, 10:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
HD is phasing that brand out up here, and replacing it with a Siemens QF115ANP. Might be a better alternative if you're going to replace that breaker.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Siemens-...2276206?NCNI-5
Hard to go wrong with Siemens or Square D.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:22 PM   #20
RPR

For you master electricians out there, what is your opinion of the screw in breakers for the old fuse panels? Our daughter and son in law’s place they purchase couple of years ago has been added on over the years. Original part of house has old screw in fuse panel rest of house has modern breaker panels.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote