Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-08-2019, 02:18 PM   #1

Cold temps and didnt get the chance to dump tanks

Looking for advice.

My Wife and I used the sinks and toilet in my camper a few times when boondocking without the twins a couple of nights this fall for our 5th anniversary. Thinking we had several more weekends to camp, we would dump the tanks then.

Well... the temperatures dropped unexpectedly for weeks and we never got the chance to get out again with the 18 month old twins.
I was able to drain water heater and fresh water supply, and blew air through the city line and pumped antifreeze through the plumbing.
but i still have some water in grey tank(maybe 1/3rd full at most), and still haven't dumped black tank (maybe 1/3rd full at most).
The campgrounds in my areas pumpstations are closed, but their is a rest area about 25 mins away that we can dump at. Dont know if their is water at the rest area.
i could fill black using the hose from home to ensure it flows. but there isnt much gray to rinse hose.
What would you do in this situation?
Old 11-08-2019, 03:10 PM   #2

I’d fill the black and grey as full as possible if you can and then drive over and dump them. That way you get a good flow out of them and cleaned as possible. Then dump a half gallon of antifreeze down the sink and another down and in the toilet so the dump valves and flush seal and ball are lubed/protected.
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
I’d fill the black and grey as full as possible if you can and then drive over and dump them. That way you get a good flow out of them and cleaned as possible. Then dump a half gallon of antifreeze down the sink and another down and in the toilet so the dump valves and flush seal and ball are lubed/protected.
How would you fill gray? Have already ran the antifreeze through all the faucets/sinks, and shower. I do have more antifreeze and will make sure toilet and drains have some in them.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:49 PM   #4

You can fill the gray tank through the kitchen sink or the shower. Just remember to put the pink stuff in the trap when your done.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Hauler View Post
How would you fill gray? Have already ran the antifreeze through all the faucets/sinks, and shower. I do have more antifreeze and will make sure toilet and drains have some in them.
If the gray has water in it, just drain it. It doesn't have to be 2/3rds or more like the black water tank. Next spring, maybe fill the gray tank and add some digester stuff and drive to dump station and drain. I would just dump a glug or two of anti-freeze into the toilet tank after you drain it, not a half-gallon.

RV Anitifreeze is good to -50 degrees F. The dealer I bought my first travel trailer from told me if diluted 50/50 with water, it's good to -25 degrees F.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:39 PM   #6

If the tanks are less than 1/3rd, if he isn't able to empty, is that really going to be an issue? The tanks are big enough that expansion shouldn't be a problem. We had the same issue one year due to medical issues and our tanks were closer to 2/3rds. When we finally had a chance to empty them in the spring, there were no leaks or any other problems. And yes, we had already winterized the unit.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
If the tanks are less than 1/3rd, if he isn't able to empty, is that really going to be an issue? The tanks are big enough that expansion shouldn't be a problem. We had the same issue one year due to medical issues and our tanks were closer to 2/3rds. When we finally had a chance to empty them in the spring, there were no leaks or any other problems. And yes, we had already winterized the unit.
It can be an issue. Someone with a Thor had their gate valve bust due to ice in the grey tank.

Dump and then cap the hose and clean it later.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
If the gray has water in it, just drain it. It doesn't have to be 2/3rds or more like the black water tank. Next spring, maybe fill the gray tank and add some digester stuff and drive to dump station and drain. I would just dump a glug or two of anti-freeze into the toilet tank after you drain it, not a half-gallon.

RV Anitifreeze is good to -50 degrees F. The dealer I bought my first travel trailer from told me if diluted 50/50 with water, it's good to -25 degrees F.

Murff
I figure he’s going to have to buy a gallon on way or the other so I just said half and half to split it between tanks. Cheap insurance, I’ve had a cracked dump valve from freezing, it sucks.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:29 PM   #9

Quote:
I figure he’s going to have to buy a gallon on way or the other so I just said half and half to split it between tanks. Cheap insurance, I’ve had a cracked dump valve from freezing, it sucks.
We are in agreement there!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Same thought here.
Mike
mikegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
It can be an issue. Someone with a Thor had their gate valve bust due to ice in the grey tank.

Dump and then cap the hose and clean it later.
X2 …

A few years ago on an older RV we camped in our sons driveway. Got good and cold that year. Our gate valve was out in the cold about 12 inches. That left water to freeze in the tube and cracked it. I have since have traded but will always remember the memories of that old RV.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:01 AM   #12

If all else fails there is always the bucket brigade. Take a bucket and fill it with black, carry inside and flush, repeat and repeat. I would also flush it and bucket it into the toilet.

On the gray, if you have grass and can just dump it on the grass it should soak in and no harm done. I would not let kids or pets on that patch for a few days.
Don't leave any water in black or gray tanks or the dump valve could freeze and burst!

Not my preference but it may be what you have to do.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post

Murff
Antifreeze is cheap enough, don't mess with diluting it!
kdduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:40 PM   #14

depends on temperature in your area, Winter?? Always best to maker the effort and flush and add the antifreeze straight up! A gallon of antifreeze is far cheaper than an expensive repair job! Maybe 1/2 work vs having your rv in the shop for days, weeks or months! Expensive repair job!
Old 11-09-2019, 04:16 PM   #15

Years ago I bought a used TT in the spring when I got it home I found black and gray tanks were both half full.. no damage to either and it had been -40 over the winter.. (When I complained to the dealer he said they had no way to empty tanks )
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:22 PM   #16

If it was me, I would fill a 5 gallon bucket, with about 3 + gallons, and dump it down a house toilet.

As for Murf, 50/50 water and antifreeze does not change the protection level to -25.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:06 AM   #17

If you have a cleanout access in the sewer line at your house why not just hook up to it and dump the tank there. When we leave the campgrounds, if the dump station is crowded I just dump the Black tank and not take the time to clean the system then go home. At home we have a cleanout access in our sewer line. I hook my dump hose to it and clean the black tank out and prep it for the next trip. Or in your case Winterize the system.
US Army
VN.71-72
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:47 PM   #18

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
If it was me, I would fill a 5 gallon bucket, with about 3 + gallons, and dump it down a house toilet.

As for Murf, 50/50 water and antifreeze does not change the protection level to -25.
Agree! Lots of dumping stations around and just need to be thinking about winter nearing and having RV antifreeze on hand! I bought out of season and save! Have lots and hand when on sale! Never had an issues, as I am always thinking ahead!
Old 11-10-2019, 12:54 PM   #19

Avoid that RV dealer in the future! Pure laziness on their part. Bring it in indoors and put the heat to it for a few days. I purchased my unit with the heat pads for insurance! Never had to use them, but nice to have.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:42 AM   #20

Thanks for discussion and advice folks!
I took BobbyB 's suggestion and filled the tanks with my garden hose at home. we had a warmer day, Saturday and I was able to take it to The dump station at I-80 Rest Stop Tiffin, Ia, and it had a water spigot so i was able to dump and get the tank cleaned out.
And i had a little over a gallon of Antifreeze left and made sure to put some in traps and toilet and black and grey tanks/ valves.