Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2023, 06:48 AM   #1

Correct Bottle Jack

I was just searching for a bottle jack to keep in the trailer incase I needed to lift a tire high enough to remove it or just spin it so I could repack my bearings and I want to make sure I get one that will work for me. The ones I'm seeing only have a travel length of about 5-6 inches. Even if I started with the top of the jack tight against the frame would this give me enough lift? I have leaf spring suspension. If anyone has a suggestion for a particular jack that they know works, that would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Jeff
jlawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 07:06 AM   #2

I carry 2 Big Red 8 ton double ram bottle Jacks. It's overkill but I prefer to have more than I need. There are other brands with less capacity but I have always had good success with Big Red.

https://www.amazon.com/BIG-RED-Doubl...0-4513d670b6bc

Even with the double rams I still carry extra cribbing with me because you never know what the terrain will be like during a roadside repair.

I also welded a small piece of scrap pipe to a metal plate that I slip over the jack post to spread out the load and provide some stability. I glued a rubber mat to the top of the plate for some added grip as well.
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 07:19 AM   #3

I have one from Lowe's and it should be fine. I do have a couple of small boards to put underneath the jack for stability and added reach
Old 07-28-2023, 11:31 AM   #4
Site Team

I just purchased a 4 ton bottle jack from Harbor Freight and it has already been used to replace my old one that was leaking down.

I carry a selection of 2x6 boards to adjust any space that needs filling under the jack. 6-7 inches is all I have ever needed to lift the axle once the frame is supported.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 01:33 PM   #5
Site Team

I love the double ram jacks like Marcm157 has, but already had an 8 ton single ram from HF that has the screw up top post. Fortunately, I haven't needed to use it on the road yet outside of making sure it fit the bill in the driveway.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 09:38 PM   #6

I bought a 20T bottle jack from HF for its stroke, I also cary many 2x4x16 cribbing pieces to put the jack if I need to lift.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 07:08 PM   #7

Thanks to all who have responded. Do you all feel that 7.89 inches of lift is enough to get the wheel off the ground? That's my concern. That the amount of lift isn't enough.
jlawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 08:13 PM   #8

I would say yes. You can drive the good tire up on some blocks, which will reduce the height you need to jack. I place my jack on blocking too.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 03:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawley View Post
Thanks to all who have responded. Do you all feel that 7.89 inches of lift is enough to get the wheel off the ground? That's my concern. That the amount of lift isn't enough.
I rely on the front landing gear to support the front of the 5th and use a bunch of cribbing to build “towers” to support the rear. A tower on each side just behind the axles with a jack stand on top. Another tower close behind the first set of towers that I move side to side with the bottle jack on top to lift the side. I like to lift about 2-3” at a time to get the rear up 5-6”.
This doesn’t get the tires off the ground. I then lift the axle by jacking under the spring and remove the tire. Lowering that hub will leave it hanging a few inches off the ground. Repeat for the remaining tires and I have easy access to the hubs and suspension. I do this when servicing the bearings and when I installed my wet bolts. I find it very stable and can leave it “in the air” until I finish the job.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4852.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	89474

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 09:45 PM   #10

bottle jack for travel trailer

Place the jack under the axel. Less travel is needed. MOMCAT
MOMCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 10:18 PM   #11

Right, and bend your axles, then wear out your tires! Poor advice, read your owner's manual.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 05:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMCAT View Post
Place the jack under the axel. Less travel is needed. MOMCAT
You never want to raise your trailer from under the axles. You risk causing serious and unrepairable damage.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 08:12 AM   #13

Jackin up

You Right...I Read it...I wrong...MOMCAT
Old 08-17-2023, 09:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
You never want to raise your trailer from under the axles. You risk causing serious and unrepairable damage.
I'm reading through these posts, as I recently acquired a 2020 Eagle 330rsts. I want to inspect the brakes and bearings, this weekend. I don't have access to my manual at the moment, can you tell me where the often recommended jacking location is, if not under the axle? Once I get home, I will review the manual.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
nascarmikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 09:27 AM   #15

While I agree that you should never jack your RV up from the axle itself, as the concern is that you could bend the axle. However, that recommendation doesn't take everything that should be known into account. If you choose to lift the RV from the frame you are introducing stress at a point on the frame that wasn't designed for that purpose and you may have to lift that side of the RV up a lot ~10" more or less which will lean the RV a lot and could cause damage to the suspension on the side of the RV that you are not jacking up and even if no damage, your are definitely putting a twist in the frame.

My suggestion and what I have done, (regardless of the mfg recommendations) is to place the jack under the leaf spring that is attached to the axle and right next to the tire that needs to be lifted and then I use only enough lift to remove the wheel. On trailers with the leaf springs above the axle I use a wood block to spread the load over the 2 U-Bolts that attach the axle to the leaf springs which cradles the axle.

Point being, the concern is when lifting the RV by jacking up the axle which certainly could damage the axle especially the further away you get from the wheel, but when lifting an inch or two from the same location that the leaf springs are attached doesn't mechanically stress the axle anymore than when the trailer is not jacked up. If your leaf springs are under the axle then the springs themselves will cradle the axle, otherwise if the springs are above the axle, use a wood black to distribute the weight across the 2 leaf spring U-Bolts which will also cradle the axle. ~CA
Old 08-17-2023, 09:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarmikeb View Post
I'm reading through these posts, as I recently acquired a 2020 Eagle 330rsts. I want to inspect the brakes and bearings, this weekend. I don't have access to my manual at the moment, can you tell me where the often recommended jacking location is, if not under the axle? Once I get home, I will review the manual.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
My manual says place the jack on the frame near the tire to be changed.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 03:53 PM   #17

bottle jack location

Under the leaf spring plate is where I have lifted alot of trailers over the last 60 years. Never had a problem. Seemed safer to me. I appreciate being told though that my method is wrong. It helps knowlng that someone is looking out for me and my stuff. JUST Wondering....Is it ok to jack a 40' Tiffin A Bus on the rear end housing??? MOMCAT
Old 08-19-2023, 05:57 PM   #18

I use a Powerbuilt for two reasons. First is the piece that holds the TT in place. I don't like the bottle jacks because first time I lifted the TT with one a gust of wind moved the TT and I was lucky it did not slide off the jack. The second reason is that it has a built in "jack stand." I worked too many years in a radiator shop to trust any hydraulic jack without a jack stand. I also like the wide base. I use it every time I change my wheel bearings.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 06:58 AM   #19

Travelingjw.. I looked at the "Powerbuilt". I liked that. I had never seen or heard of one. Will have one soon! Thanks for the info. MOMCAT
Old 08-21-2023, 03:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMCAT View Post
Travelingjw.. I looked at the "Powerbuilt". I liked that. I had never seen or heard of one. Will have one soon! Thanks for the info. MOMCAT
I totally agree!!!!!
The "all in one" jack/stand is an awesome idea.

https://www.amazon.com/Alltrade-6409...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

That would be a handy jack/stand for a lot of applications.
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote