Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2012, 04:51 AM   #1

couch/ airbed

new Eagle Super Lite HT 23.5 getting ready for long trip and noticed the couch is (was) fastened to the wall with 2 screws. I thought the couch was a bit wobbly and notice both screws are completely ripped off the wall. No time for warranty run now so I re-fastened them in same holes. 1 was ok but the other one won't screw, just turns and turns. Not a big deal but it's a pretty poor way to fasten a couch I tell you!
Thankful for 2 years warranty
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:54 AM   #2

Kitchen match sticks will help for awhile on the one that is turning. You can also dip in white/wood glue to help some also. Just push the stick end in the hole and break it off flush with the wall.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:39 AM   #3

I had that problem with a curtain rod, I used a molly and it's secure now.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #4

Our trailer has a couch/airbed as well, and I agree with you that two screws into 1/8" luan plywood doesn't do much to restrain the couch. In fact, all those brackets/screws are good for is to tear up the wallpaper once they pull out.

I removed the OEM screws and the brackets, and made two special brackets to screw to the floor. The front legs of the couch fit into the brackets, and the brackets screw to the legs.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
Our trailer has a couch/airbed as well, and I agree with you that two screws into 1/8" luan plywood doesn't do much to restrain the couch. In fact, all those brackets/screws are good for is to tear up the wallpaper once they pull out.

I removed the OEM screws and the brackets, and made two special brackets to screw to the floor. The front legs of the couch fit into the brackets, and the brackets screw to the legs.
Picture of this mod? Sounds like a good one!
Old 07-31-2012, 03:06 PM   #6

Sorry, no pictures available. Maybe later in the week when I might have my trailer back from the dealer.

Note: I tried explaining how to so this with without pictures, and found the explanation way too confusing.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #7

I can almost picture it lol
Thanks
Brigitte
Old 07-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #8

I forgot I already took some pictures. Here they are:

Get some 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/8 aluminum angle (Lowes, Home Depot); cut two pieces 6 inches long.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1894.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	4789

Mark a 3/4 x 3/4 cutout on one side of the angle, and cut it out (this makes it possible to bend the aluminum 90 degrees)

Name:	IMG_1895.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	4790

Put the aluminum in a vise at the point of the cutout you made, and bend the intact side of the aluminum 90 degrees by gently and slowly pounding on the aluminum with a hammer in the direction of the desired bend.

Name:	IMG_1896.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	4791

In the side of the bracket that will be attached to the floor, drill two holes on each leg of the bracket. On one side of the bracket that will touch the side of the legs, drill one hole.

Name:	IMG_1897.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	4792 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1898.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	4793

Carefully file off any rough aluminum. Paint with your desired color. I used 3/4 inch long screws to attach the bracket to the floor. Be sure to check the thickness of your floor, especially if you will be attaching the brackets to the floor of a slide. First mark with masking tape where, exactly and carefully, the legs of the sofa are. Move the sofa to get access, and place the brackets carefully where you marked the legs are. Attach with screws. Return the sofa to its place - hopefully the brackets are in the correct place. Use one screw to attach each bracket to it's leg.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
I forgot I already took some pictures. Here they are:

Get some 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/8 aluminum angle (Lowes, Home Depot); cut two pieces 6 inches long.
Attachment 4789

Mark a 3/4 x 3/4 cutout on one side of the angle, and cut it out (this makes it possible to bend the aluminum 90 degrees)
Attachment 4790

Put the aluminum in a vise at the point of the cutout you made, and bend the intact side of the aluminum 90 degrees by gently and slowly pounding on the aluminum with a hammer in the direction of the desired bend.
Attachment 4791

In the side of the bracket that will be attached to the floor, drill two holes on each leg of the bracket. On one side of the bracket that will touch the side of the legs, drill one hole.
Attachment 4792 Attachment 4793

Carefully file off any rough aluminum. Paint with your desired color. I used 3/4 inch long screws to attach the bracket to the floor. Be sure to check the thickness of your floor, especially if you will be attaching the brackets to the floor of a slide. First mark with masking tape where, exactly and carefully, the legs of the sofa are. Move the sofa to get access, and place the brackets carefully where you marked the legs are. Attach with screws. Return the sofa to its place - hopefully the brackets are in the correct place. Use one screw to attach each bracket to it's leg.

Hope this helps.
Wow! Very nice! Thanks for the help
This couch will not move!
Brigitte