Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2014, 08:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman1911 View Post
I have 2006, 24 octane, and I have had problems in the same area you are. have no idea who made the frame but the sheet metal front structure has cracked in every place that they put a weld exctpt for where it met the I beams. We found the issue when in whitehorse YK on holidays. I put a temp patch on the main A frame where it cracked but the damage was done. the front structure is finished as is the the 2x6 .125 HSS tube.
Agree totally with our crappy roads! With all the freezing & thawing we experience it destroys them! We have 2 seasons... 1) Winter 2) Road Construction.

I solved my problem... Took it in for warranty and left it there, traded it in and left with a new unit for a different manufacturer. With the money I lost I consider it again since I'm sure I'd be dumping it back into the trailer within a few years anyways.

RobAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:15 PM   #12

That 1st video makes me nervous. I think cancelling your trip was the right move. Please let us know what they did to fix the issue.

Added note,
I just went out and looked at my frame. Yours looks similar to mine. It is riveted further back with 8 rivets per side. Check those riveted connections. If they look good you should be fine. The A frame is acting as a long moment arm as it is not fully supported with the bad brace and is flexing. What appears to be happening is the front wall is bouncing on the broken brace. If this is the case you should be fine, but the bouncing on the front wall would bother me as it could cause additional internal damage

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:08 AM   #13

There is no way that I would tow that anywhere. That's an accident just looking for a place to happen.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
That 1st video makes me nervous. I think cancelling your trip was the right move. Please let us know what they did to fix the issue.

Added note,
I just went out and looked at my frame. Yours looks similar to mine. It is riveted further back with 8 rivets per side. Check those riveted connections. If they look good you should be fine. The A frame is acting as a long moment arm as it is not fully supported with the bad brace and is flexing. What appears to be happening is the front wall is bouncing on the broken brace. If this is the case you should be fine, but the bouncing on the front wall would bother me as it could cause additional internal damage
Hi Jagiven,

You're exactly correct with the A-Frame and the front wall bouncing. My fear was that the wood in the curve is broken and may have set the stage for further delimitation up higher if I interpreted the construction properly from the shop foreman.

I actually traded the trailer in last week for a new unit so unfortunately I won't know what the do to fix it, I'll try to inquire down the road to keep you posted.

I think the video made the problem look a lot worse than it is. Upon further inspection the frame is not actually flexing, it is just that broken brace on the front wall between the A-Frame.
RobAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:31 PM   #15

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAllen View Post
Hi Jagiven,

I actually traded the trailer in last week for a new unit so unfortunately I won't know what the do to fix it, I'll try to inquire down the road to keep you posted.
Way to go! I think that was the smart thing to do.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAllen View Post
Hi Jagiven,

You may not have to inquire if you watch the news and the dealer resells it. I hope any potential new owners look it over very well.
Or maybe the dealer will repair it before putting it on the lot.
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:41 PM   #17

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I found this old tread and wonder if this was the first generation Norco BAL frame or the Next generation? There where only a few readings in other forums. It must have been a few isolated incidents otherwise there would have been a lot more stories. And seems there are no recalls on this Frame.

The first generation has a weak front cross member as the have to many holes in them where the A-Frame sticks through. The easy fix was installing 2" square steal tubing under them.

Many RV manufactures used the Torflex axles on them so they where having a very low profile. Special the backend was easy to damage with short inclines. I installed heavy duty swing casters in place of the factory skids to lessen the force on the frame.

Jayco had a recall in 2007/2008 Jay Feathers on the Torflex axles because of low clearance between tire and fender. Torflex axles that's all they use in Europe on RV and Utility trailers.

So has any one had any problems with their Norco BAL Frames (First or Next generation)?

Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power

ALJO 'Forever Young @ Heart' provide on their travels Music Entertainment to Senior Care Homes
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
221, bal, norco