Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2020, 10:43 AM   #1

DC Power - short between batteries and power center

Just bought our first RV – a 2012 Jay Flight.

The DC power from the batteries to the power center is not working. I ran a wire directly from batteries to power center and confirmed there is a problem with the wiring.
It appears the type of wire leaving the front J-box is a different brand than the one entering the power center.

Does anyone know if there is an in-line fuse or another j-box between the front frame J-box and the power center? I’m really not looking forward to cutting into the trailer’s undercoating to track this short!

Thanks in advance ...
New Guy Stan
AntJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:06 PM   #2

My 2019 has an in-line fuse along the A frame which probably doesn’t help you one bit! Are the crimp fittings at both ends Crimped good and without corrosion? Given there are two different brands of wire I would suspect an inline fuse somewhere along the line.
2001 Dodge 3500 dually
Xboaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:14 PM   #3

Or maybe someone's attempt at fixing?

Welcome to the site, Stan, from SW Michigan!

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntJackson View Post

The DC power from the batteries to the power center is not working. I ran a wire directly from batteries to power center and confirmed there is a problem with the wiring.
It appears the type of wire leaving the front J-box is a different brand than the one entering the power center.

Does anyone know if there is an in-line fuse or another j-box between the front frame J-box and the power center? I’m really not looking forward to cutting into the trailer’s undercoating to track this short!

Thanks in advance ...
New Guy Stan
What are you calling the Power center There is an inline resetable fuse within 6' of the battery. There is 2 40 amp reverse polarity fuses mounted on the fuse panel. If this is a MH there is a battery disconnect switch art the front door.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:45 PM   #5

sturgissteele - Not that I know of ... prior owner stated it was working fine on delivery
Old 08-10-2020, 10:47 PM   #6

Power Center is from owners manual. It is where the power comes into the fuse and CB panels.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:52 PM   #7

Ref: in line fuse. Power is good into J-box at tongue end of frame where wire go into undercarriage. Where the line comes into the top of fuse box - no power. All wires are between undercarriage material and flooring. Thanks
Old 08-10-2020, 11:01 PM   #8

Cavie - we have a pull behind trailer ... do you think the in-line fuse is within 6 feet of the J-box that the DC + power wire comes out of? From the j-box - the wire goes thru the frame and between under-insulation and interior flooring ... I'm using you as a "life-line" for text a friend! Thanks,
Old 08-10-2020, 11:28 PM   #9
Site Team

We have a 2012 Jay Flight also. and there's a rubber blade style fuse holder, with a 30 amp fuse in line at our battery. On ours it's actually inside the battery box, it's that close to the ring terminals. Is there any chance that battery was hooked up backwards, even for a second? That will blow the reverse polarity, and probably the 12 volt main fuses (which are together) in the fuse panel. Those are 30 amp fuses in ours.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 03:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Power Center is from owners manual. It is where the power comes into the fuse and CB panels.
In the future refer to that as your electric panel. That will keep everyone on the same page. Some people call a "information display panel" a "power panel". 2 different things.

Old 08-11-2020, 03:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Cavie - we have a pull behind trailer ... do you think the in-line fuse is within 6 feet of the J-box that the DC + power wire comes out of? From the j-box - the wire goes thru the frame and between under-insulation and interior flooring ... I'm using you as a "life-line" for text a friend! Thanks,
FYI, When you answer questions use the quote button as I did. This is what folks will see and all will know what question you are answering.

The inline fuse you are looking for will be under the tong within 6' of the battery. Between the battery and where it disappears into the trailer. Think Battery to fuse box. I have no idea about a j-box. Also find the 2 "Reverse Polarity fuses" on the fuse panel. Usually 40 amp.

SEE Post #9

Go to your profile page and fill out a signature line. put in your make model and year of your trailer. The information will appear every time you post and you will not have to type it each time. Everyone will see it and know what you have. Note the lines at the bottom of my post where the Red lettering shows up. All that stuff shows up every time.

Old 08-11-2020, 03:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Ref: in line fuse. Power is good into J-box at tongue end of frame where wire go into undercarriage. Where the line comes into the top of fuse box - no power. All wires are between undercarriage material and flooring. Thanks
Look inside that J-box.

Old 08-14-2020, 02:38 PM   #13

Question Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
FYI, When you answer questions use the quote button as I did. This is what folks will see and all will know what question you are answering.

The inline fuse you are looking for will be under the tong within 6' of the battery. Between the battery and where it disappears into the trailer. Think Battery to fuse box. I have no idea about a j-box. Also find the 2 "Reverse Polarity fuses" on the fuse panel. Usually 40 amp.

SEE Post #9

Go to your profile page and fill out a signature line. put in your make model and year of your trailer. The information will appear every time you post and you will not have to type it each time. Everyone will see it and know what you have. Note the lines at the bottom of my post where the Red lettering shows up. All that stuff shows up every time.
I will take another look ... and I did the update as you recommended to the profile ... we'll see if I got it correct ??
Old 08-14-2020, 02:45 PM   #14

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
We have a 2012 Jay Flight also. and there's a rubber blade style fuse holder, with a 30 amp fuse in line at our battery. On ours it's actually inside the battery box, it's that close to the ring terminals. Is there any chance that battery was hooked up backwards, even for a second? That will blow the reverse polarity, and probably the 12 volt main fuses (which are together) in the fuse panel. Those are 30 amp fuses in ours.
I'll head back out the double check these suggestions ... As for "chance" - yes - we heard the father in law attempted a solar panel charger addition - & and my have connected it wrong" ... we learned that after taking delivery (my bad for not following President Reagan: "Trust but verify" )
Old 08-16-2020, 11:46 PM   #15

Wink Thanks to all

Quote:

Thanks in advance ...
New Guy Stan
Based upon your comments - I started following battery wires ... which required my removing the batteries ... and under the base unit was the in-line fuse everyone assured me was there. And - Yes - the 30 amp fuse was blown. Replaced and all is well in the Jay Flight ... as far as I know!
Old 08-16-2020, 11:55 PM   #16
Site Team

Good to hear you're back in business. Thanks for the update.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Based upon your comments - I started following battery wires ... which required my removing the batteries ... and under the base unit was the in-line fuse everyone assured me was there. And - Yes - the 30 amp fuse was blown. Replaced and all is well in the Jay Flight ... as far as I know!
Ah, good! I was hoping it would be an easy fix. Just hope it was a one-off and doesn't happen again.
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote