Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 01:11 AM   #1
S7G

Did I just buy a Junker?

I have a new 2016 Jayco North Point.
so for the amount of stuff that has broken is getting out of hand.
First up is the awning was not attached in the front three feet to the trailer at the factory. I was told by the dealer that Jayco did not have the parts to fix it In stock yet. So I have been unable to use it.
then we lost a months worth of food because the reefer was bad. It had a hole in the coils. It was replaced and the new one would not cool past 50 degrees for two weeks. It was set on the highest setting.Now everything in it and the freezer will not get cold enough to freeze Ice cream. It is also making lots of noises.
Tonight my 6 point leveling system will not work.
We have had to have slides adj several times. They will not go all the way in or out at different times.
yesterday one slide stated leaking from between the trip in a steady 2 foot wide water fall into a brand new computer.
The entry door will not shut unless it is forced to.
One of the gates on my swear drain will not close and makes a mess when I go to hook it up.
My back Crain and valance fell off and destroy the trim of the cabinet it was hung on. It only had one small screw holding it up and it went between the cabinet and trim. Basic no support.
Front AC keeps tripping the breaker in the panel.
Back AC has no flow. It Barely keeps a 3 degree temp difference. When it was 83 out it was 80 inside.
multiple cabinet doors,drawers etc the will not stay shut going down the road.
Latch for the closet door broken.
USB charger outlets that do not work.
Bubbles in the stickers that trim the outside.
Generator over heating issues.
Screens that are to small for the windows.
Toliet set to close to the wall. The lid will not open with out being forced sideways and then slides into the toliet when you sit on it. There is a three foot area they could have mounted it in and did it to close to the wall.
Bubbles in the Floor.
Trim that has fallen off and trim that had to be secured.
There is more but I am beyond ******.
I use to sell Jayco and never once had a customer have so much wrong with a trailer.
We have already lost several days on our trip because of broken items.
Tomorrow a call is being made and if answers are not forthcoming I will not be the owner of a Jayco any longer or ever again.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:30 AM   #2
Site Team

Man, sure am sorry you having so many issues. They can overwhelm a body! You must have one of the first of those made, sure hope it can be resolved but I know there is no logical reason for one to be sold in that condition.

Please keep us posted on how it is handled.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 07-15-2015, 05:04 AM   #3

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Are any of the items on the list things that were found during the initial walk-thru, sounds like several may have been caught then?
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
Old 07-15-2015, 06:21 AM   #4
bap

I don't know where you are located, but sounds like "Lemon Law" might apply here if your location has one.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:05 AM   #5

I'd suggest starting a dialog directly with Jayco and drop it off at the dealer planning to leave it until it's all fixed or replaced. Some of the items sound like lazy service guys and some serious manufacturing flaws.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
Old 07-15-2015, 07:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I'd suggest starting a dialog directly with Jayco and drop it off at the dealer planning to leave it until it's all fixed or replaced. Some of the items sound like lazy service guys and some serious manufacturing flaws.
I generally agree, but the number and severity of the issues with this unit practically call for total replacement.

Then Jayco installing it in the factory as an example of how NOT to build an RV! Maybe punish sloppy workmanship by having the offender live in the trailer for a couple of days?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
Old 07-15-2015, 11:04 AM   #7
S7G

Yes a bunch where caught in our walk through.
The dealership has been fantastic. But I have already had to turn around and drive 600 miles back once.
If I have to go back again I am now three states away from them.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:11 AM   #8
S7G

I spoke with the dealer today. They want me to bring in the trailer to fix it. I am three states away.
I guess so much for the Idea we where gonna do this full time.
I am trying to track down a number to Jayco to see what they will do.
one of the other big problems I have is the fact that I can see light through my floor where it meets the walk on the right side. The gap is big enough I can almost put my pinky in it in places. Lots of dirt and outside air gets through that.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
I generally agree, but the number and severity of the issues with this unit practically call for total replacement.

Then Jayco installing it in the factory as an example of how NOT to build an RV! Maybe punish sloppy workmanship by having the offender live in the trailer for a couple of days?
I have to agree. Hopefully you have a Lemon Law in your state.

I wouldn't even bother with the dealer. Just call Jayco directly and demand something be done. You paid good money - and are probably making monthly payments for something you cannot use. Buying a a brand new uninhabitable house would not be acceptable anywhere. Nor should this be.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Old 07-15-2015, 11:34 AM   #10

Have the dealer call Jayco on your behalf letting them know it's headed back. Jayco will listen to you but the dealer was their customer and will be able to get things done quicker. The dealer should have rejected the unit based on some of the early warning signs so I don't know they are looking out for you as much as they are protecting the dealer relationship with Jayco. If they resist making the call for you, you'll know how they're motivated.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Old 07-15-2015, 12:47 PM   #11

All are legitimate concerns as far as I am concerned, however, I am guessing that the people who built the unit had no clue it would be sold to a former sales rep. NOT saying that has anything to do with anything, but I know as a mechanic, when I go to purchase a vehicle, I nit pick a bit more than the average joe.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Old 07-15-2015, 12:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowtoy View Post
...snip... but I know as a mechanic, when I go to purchase a vehicle, I nit pick a bit more than the average joe.
You shoulda been there with the earful the dealer got from me over my (now ex-)wife's brand new Honda CR-V! Never liked that car. All 175,000 miles and 12 years of it.

And proud of it!
Old 07-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #13

Why don't you take it to a dealer local to where you are? It's all warranty work anyway.
Call Jayco and tell them you will expensing a hotel too!
Old 07-15-2015, 01:28 PM   #14

The only question I have is, being a former salesmen of Jayco why did you except a trailer in such bad condition? When we bought our last trailer it took the dealer three times to get it right. First trailer had issues I would not accept, secound one had a few things he had to fix before we signed the dotted line.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:27 AM   #15

I was told of jayco build quality prior to buying a new 3914 seismic . Took delivery Nov. 2014 . Sad to say I was mislead . Numerous lack of quality issues related to original construction . There must be no quality control to catch issues at point of build . They must be having labor issues , that would explain the lack of quality iI see in the build of my coach . No worker with any pride would put out such sloppy work . Then there is outside vendor components . Six point leveling , fuel tank and dispencing system , slide issues , main electrical switch box , and more . Now aapproaching end of 2 year warranty . If they would give my money backI i would take it in a heartbeat . I have zero confidence in this coach , that had a msrp of over 100,000 . Now am looking to get out from underneath this poorly built coach , it will literally cost me tens of thousands of dollars . Thanks jayco.
2013 Can am commander 1000 cc camo xt. 2003 Harley Davidson road king
Old 07-16-2015, 05:41 AM   #16

The 'lemon law' for states that have them applies to motor vehicles, not towable RV's. Even if OP's rig was a motorhome, the lemon law would only apply to the vehicle chassis and powertrain, not what was built on it. Seen this discussed on other forums, got curious and researched and found what I write to be the case. And that is a shame, because it sounds like the OP certainly has a lemon..............
Old 07-16-2015, 07:22 AM   #17

I would take it back and leave it there, and take a new one home,
Old 07-16-2015, 08:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Maybe punish sloppy workmanship by having the offender live in the trailer for a couple of days?
??? just fire his lazy A$$
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Old 07-16-2015, 08:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
??? just fire his (or her) lazy A$$
Not that easy. The worker will have to be replaced. A fresh hire must be trained - Zero or worse productivity for the first few weeks. Plus management time lost sifting through the candidates... Throw in the hit on the company's unemployment insurance record.

Usually, it is much more effective to keep the people you have.

It's just a matter of keeping them focused on what The Company needs rather than what is going on in the worker's own head at the moment. That is what line managers and QC staff are for!

If The Company is really well run, the co-workers on the line will be poking one another to fix the problem when they see a foul-up.

But, this is The U.S. of A. Most line workers just want to do the least possible to get paid. Any screwing over of Management is bonus.

And proud of it!
Old 07-16-2015, 09:03 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmnile View Post
The 'lemon law' for states that have them applies to motor vehicles, not towable RV's......snip
I wouldn't rule out a towable, I would consult an attorney for the State in question.

I ran across the following statement:

"The federal RV Lemon Law was designed to protect your rights when your new RV turns sour and the manufacturer's dealer is unable to fix it within reasonable number of attempts or a reasonable amount of time. This law applies to motorized RV's including Class A, Class B and Class C motorhomes as well as towable RV's which include Travel Trailers, Toy Haulers, Fifth-Wheel Trailers and Truck Campers."

Source: RV Lemon Law - Recreational Vehicle Lemon Law | Burdge Law Office

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Closed Thread