Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-20-2015, 07:16 PM   #1

Dinette and sofa pulling away from slide out wall

Hello all,
Got out this past weekend with some great springlike weather in Mo! We noticed when we were out that the dinette and sofa are pulling loose from the wall and one of the metal brackets has actually punctured through the wall board. Out of warranty by 8 months and Jayco thinks it's a slide out alignment issue. Any advice on this and possible costs of repair?
http://s374.photobucket.com/user/chr...65c0c.jpg.html
edwardsfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:29 AM   #2

I had a little problem with my couch last year after a long trip in that a screw in the outer wall of the slide came out and the couch kinda moved a bit into the living area. Was worried about a major repair, but was able to fix it quickly by using a toggle bolt in the wall area to secure the brace for the couch. However, my problem wasn't near as drastic as yours with that hole in the wall. You may end up having to replace some or all of the wall, but if Jayco thinks it might be a misalignment of the slide out wall, it might be a bit more complicated. Sorry to see that.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:21 PM   #3

Well the dinette and sofa are not actually pulling out from the rear wall.What does happen is when the slideout is pulled all the way in that floor is up about 2" off the main floor. The weight of the dinette and sofa makes the floor of the slide out sag in the center and pull that dinette partition past that aluminum bracket. When you load all your stuff under the sofa or your dinette if one side is to heavy it pulls that partition one way or the other while your on the road. When you extend the slideout if it's off say 1/8-3/16" that partition will will come in contact with that bracket and do what yours did every time.
My salesman at Campworld showed me this before I purchased my TT and said they all have the potential of doing this and the way to prevent it fron doing this is when you pull the slideout in is to place say a 1x6 about a foot long on the floor directly in front of the carpet on the main floor directly in line of that partition. This prevents the the slideout floor from saging that partition past that wall bracket.
Another solution would be to replace that bracket with a larger angle bracket say a2x2 or 2-1/2 x 2" just enough to keep that partition from pulling out past the end of the bracket.
My booklet from Jayco says" don't over load your slideout" and I think that's what most of us do not blaming you we all do it.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:18 PM   #4

Thanks guys, we did in fact have our bags placed in the dinette for easy removal once we got home. Tunce, do you have a picture of what you described as far as placing a board there for support?
Old 01-21-2015, 07:25 PM   #5

Just snapped a pic for ya, hope it helps. As you can see I place it directly at the edge of the floor carpet also directly in line with the dinette partition. The slide-in floor just glides over the board and in 2 years it has never caused a problem or damage to the underside of the slide- in floor. That board is a 1x6x18" long. Now to test it to see if it's doing it's job, when the slide out is in just step on the floor in front of the dinette and if the partition is still set inside the aluminum wall bracket your good to go. If not you might need a thicker board.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 01-21-2015, 09:51 PM   #6

Awesome thanks a bunch. Hopefully a bigger bracket can cover the hole in my wall!
Old 01-22-2015, 01:03 AM   #7

Tunce - Luckily, we don't have this problem, but that is an ingenious solution that you have.
Dual 6V Deep Cycle Interstate Batteries
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:15 AM   #8

Thanks, but my salesman put me on to this saging problem that almost all floor slideouts have. Now this is a36" slide that I have. Don't overload those storege compartments in the slideouts! And when you store your TT it might be a good idea to support that area just in case. Remember the board costs nothing.