Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-28-2020, 07:37 PM   #1

Disintegrating Floor

195 RB, 2015 model.

The wife was going around the bed and noticed that the floor was sagging. I cut the vinyl and found a wet spot about 10" wide and 3 feet long. It covered the entire cavity between the 2 outboard floor joists. The spot was half way between the fresh water tank and the fridge. Obviously, the insulation under the floor was soaking wet.

After cleaning away all of the debris and exposing the black poly after about 6 hours everything started to dry up and there was no evidence of any more water.

I opened up the bed to view the water tank. The floor was solid at the tank and the insulation where the water line was exposed was also dry.

I opened up the outside vents to the fridge and everything that was visible was also bone dry.

Obviously, this has been going on for a long time. Water leak, or Fridge condensation?

Where do I start?
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:21 PM   #2

I just posted to one of your other questions!

Well water flows down hill. At 5 years old, your caulking should be failing. Most water leaks start at the roof. When was the last time you checked your caulking up top? I also recommend looking at the marker lights and side walls. For the marker lights, pull the cover, remove a screw, if the screw is rusty, water has been there. Another spot to look at is any penetrations in the siding such as windows and cargo holds. I had a bad cargo hold seal, and had water entering during rains storms.

My favorite way to track water leaks is with toilet paper (TP) squares. When the paper gets wet, it get wrinkly and stays wrinkly even when it dries out. So you know if it has been wet, even when it is dry. So do not go crazy and cover the entire floor with TP. Place a number of squares in logical spots. Even place a few wraps around questionable areas in your plumbing.

You mentioned your FW tank is under the bed. Fill it! Use it like normal. Add a few squares of TP near the tank and plumbing. Maybe under certain situations it is leaking.

Also look at your TT's level, water tends to flow down hill, but will wick up hill.

If I was a betting man and you told me you have not checked the caulking around roof and windows since you bought the TT, I would say you have a water leak that is going down a wall. Hits the floor, and slipping under the flooring. Question I would ask, roof or window??

By chance do you have an IR camera or know some who does? IR cameras do a great job showing water leaks. For example after it rains, look at the walls (from the inside), if you see a cool spot or a streak, that is a sign of where the water is at.

Good luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:22 AM   #3

All good suggestions.

We boondock 100%. The fresh water tank is always kept full except in Winter. The area near the tank is dusty and cruddy with construction debris and shows no signs of water.

The discharge line from the tank to the pump is about 18" off the wall and comes out at the pump in the same distance. That would put the route of travel between the second and third joist, which is also dry. The water is in the first cavity between the first and second joist. There is nothing else in that cavity except insulation.

As a matter of fact I inspect every inch of the roof every Spring and Fall. Just up there yesterday. The membrane and caulking is all tight as a drum.

I pounded on all the walls and there is no indication of a problem anywhere. All of the "wallpaper" and matching tape over the joints is firmly bonded. When new I cut up carpet remnants and basically installed wall-to-wall carpeting in the entire trailer. No evidence of any moisture on any of the carpet backers.

Is it possible for a refrigerator to emit condensation?
Old 09-29-2020, 11:10 AM   #4

If you have an electric awning check on top where motor wire goes through upper siding.
I had a leak I couldn't find until on top examining every inch for where water can enter..
The wiring for the awning has caulk around it and mine had wallered an open hole!!! Have caulked it with non hardening lexel caulk. A place easily overlooked. I was checking lags holding awning from top to bottom when I found it.

PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:14 AM   #5

Manual awning, plus its on the opposite side.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post

Is it possible for a refrigerator to emit condensation?
Only condensation I have seen from the Frig comes out the condensate drain and dumps into the small pan. If I recall in an earlier post, you said it was all dry behind the frig, so I would say not likely.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 09-29-2020, 12:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Only condensation I have seen from the Frig comes out the condensate drain and dumps into the small pan. If I recall in an earlier post, you said it was all dry behind the frig, so I would say not likely.
What was visible thru the 2 outside fridge vents was dry, but I really couldn't see the floor.

Where would I find this pan? Is it accessible from the outside?
Old 09-29-2020, 12:09 PM   #8

Quote:
What was visible thru the 2 outside fridge vents was dry, but I really couldn't see the floor.

Where would I find this pan? Is it accessible from the outside?
Just open the lower access panel, and it will be right there in front. On my TT, it is on the right hand side near the chimney. But you may have a different brand or model frig.

Many people extend the condensate line out of the access panel so it will drip on the ground, verses on to the pan.

If you have never opened the access panel, it is easy, typically you just need a coin or a random key. There are two square like screw heads sticking out of the panel, with a slot in them. Give them a 90 degree turn and they release.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 09-29-2020, 12:30 PM   #9

The access panel is what I called a vent. Yes, been in there before. Now that I know what to look for I'll look again.

Thanks...
Old 09-30-2020, 06:37 AM   #10

The rear wall rot on my 2004 285RKS was due to leaking corner trim (right worse than left) and a poorly sealed right taillight. Apparently different people work on the left and right sides.
The only real way to seal the corners is to completely remove them and after cleanup seal the corner seams with the DICOR corner tape or Eternbond. Then reinstall the corner trim with less screws to minimize the penetrations and be sure to seal the screws.
I am not a fan of butyl tape. I know that is how they build 'em but I have never had any luck with it and in order to get the compression from the trim, a LOT of screws are required.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD
steveb285rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post

Many people extend the condensate line out of the access panel so it will drip on the ground, verses on to the pan.
Just curious, about how much condensate should accumulate over a 3 day weekend?
Old 09-30-2020, 08:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Just curious, about how much condensate should accumulate over a 3 day weekend?
I routed my condensate drain line out through the vent. After shutting down after a weekend trip, I've seen quite a bit of water come spurting out that hose. Perhaps up to a cup of water? Maybe more? Maybe a little less?

It seems it would take a LOT of fridge condensate to create the mess you're talking about. And assuming it is traveling its intended path through the hose, you should be able to see evidence of that much water pretty clearly when you open up that side fridge vent.

Check the hose to make sure it's attached to the drain outlet on the body of the fridge, and is routed to the little "pan" or route it out through the vent like others have done. May as well do it while you're messing around back there.

I'm with Jagiven on this one; unlikely to be fridge condensate...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:37 PM   #13

OK, this has me stumped now. I don't see a pan, nor a hose. I also looked at the installation manual for the fridge. They show where to hook up the propane and electric, yada, yada, but there is no reference to any type of drain.

The unit is a Norcold N300-X and it runs on either electric or propane. Here is a picture looking in the bottom vent.
Attached Thumbnails
PA110009web.jpg  
Old 10-13-2020, 06:48 PM   #14

Quote:

The unit is a Norcold N300-X and it runs on either electric or propane. Here is a picture looking in the bottom vent.
The condensate pan for the 300 does not have a drain.

https://www.rvpartscountry.com/Norco...oaAgy2EALw_wcB
Old 10-13-2020, 06:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The condensate pan for the 300 does not have a drain.

https://www.rvpartscountry.com/Norco...oaAgy2EALw_wcB
I have a condensate pan inside the fridge. Never any condensate in it.

If you follow the posts above, I was lead to believe that there was a pan OUTSIDE, and accessible from the lower access panel (or vent).
Old 10-13-2020, 07:18 PM   #16

Quote:
I have a condensate pan inside the fridge. Never any condensate in it.

If you follow the posts above, I was lead to believe that there was a pan OUTSIDE, and accessible from the lower access panel (or vent).
Only if the condensate pan has a hose attached. That is what you will find on the larger units.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:39 PM   #17

I have the same trailer, same year. I'm pretty sure there isn't any external drain for the fridge. There is an internal tray that fits below the the fins. On our last 3 day trip, it was half full when I dumped it. Are you dumping yours? That water would drain out the door to the floor.
Kozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmo View Post
I have the same trailer, same year. I'm pretty sure there isn't any external drain for the fridge. There is an internal tray that fits below the the fins. On our last 3 day trip, it was half full when I dumped it. Are you dumping yours? That water would drain out the door to the floor.
I "inspect" it but no water ever accumulates.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:17 AM   #19

Wife found water running from her closet, over the vanity, and down to the floor and under the bed during a storm.
After the rain stopped, I checked the roof caulk.
Nothing obvious, but....a single hairline crack where the caulk had dried.
Re-caulked, no problem during next rain.
Two years later I sealed all seams with eternabond.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote