Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2022, 10:57 AM   #1

Do your tank sensors always indicate the tanks aren't empty?

Besides the obvious dirty or broken sensors inside your tanks, there is another reason that you always have sensor lights that never turn off. You might actually have "stuff" or water in your tank that never drains out. I'm not talking about the obvious clogs due to poor maintenance. I'm talking about filling your tanks once, then draining the tank completely, and one sensor indicates that the tank hasn't drained completely.

Here is the reason: When they installed the drain pipes, instead of pointing the pipes "down" so water could flow properly, they pointed them "up", so it becomes impossible for all of the water to drain out.

I had that problem on my bathroom gray tank. It would always indicate 1/4 full no matter what I did when draining the tank. I removed the plastic cover under the trailer and discovered that they installed the drain on that tank so that it pointed up. There was always at least one to 2 inches of water remaining in the tank when I drained it. It wasn't a bad or dirty sensor. It was a bad installation.

To fix it, I had to re-plumb everything to get the proper slopes on the pipes. A real PITA, but less of a PITA and cheaper than trying to get Jayco or the dealer to do it under warranty. Why cheaper if it is a warranty issue? The closest dealer, which is the one I bought it from, is 100 miles away. Diesel cost $5.50 when I tackled the problem. My truck gets 11mpg when towing. That works out to $50 each way, so $100 to drop my trailer off and another $100 to pick it up at some unknown date in the future, then possibly doing it again when they screw up the repair the first time. Then there is the roughly 4 hours I waste dropping it off, and another 4 hours picking it up, plus the wear and tear on my truck and trailer.

It cost less than $100 to fix it myself.
Attached Thumbnails
black grey tank drain pipe problem.jpg  
cmikal is offline   Reply With Quote