Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2019, 09:54 PM   #1

Dometic Model 300 Toilet Oddity

I have a 2016 X254 TT with the standard height, all plastic toilet. I've run into an unusual problem since starting up this year's camping season. I seem to have water accumulating in the cavity between the toilet bowl and the outer shell of the toilet. It's not just water, it's "black" water without any chunks.

It started with water spilling onto the floor around the toilet during transit on our first trip in May. I suspected the seal at the base of the toilet allowing black tank liquid to seep through while bouncing on the freeway (I try to keep a few gallons in the black tank to keep solids from drying). I had the dealer replace the seal at the floor. I brought it home from the dealer and discovered that I had the same problem when I got home (140 miles from the dealer). It never leaks when used or sitting at the campsite, only in transit.

I even drained the black tank as best while parked in my driveway. I opened the discharge valve, put a 5-gallon bucket under it and then cranked the tongue jack up and down to empty all I could. The next trip, I had water on the floor again.

Still unaware I had water in this hidden cavity, I bought my own floor seal and decided to do it myself. This would allow me to inspect all the components. I removed the toilet and discovered the cavity between the bowl and outer shell had 1-2 quarts of water in it. It was cloudy with the typical black tank odor. The odor ruled out a possible leak at the fresh water supply fittings at the back of the toilet. It also seemed highly unlikely that black tank water could flow upwards and fill that cavity (no path to do so).

The cavity is open at the back of the toilet by design. I put a gallon of water into the inner bowl and marked the level of it. I'm letting it set for a few days to see if the level drops to see if I have an undetectable hairline crack in the inner bowl that may be filling that cavity over time. I don't know what else to consider.

Has anyone else ever had this happen to them or have any ideas that I'm not considering? Thanks!

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:58 PM   #2

Great, something else to have RV nightmares about! I think if I were you the second time I’d seen and issue with the toilet leaking again I’d have replaced it with an upgraded porcelain one. That’s the one thing I like about both my campers, the porcelain seems much more sturdy.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:23 AM   #3
Site Team

Never heard that one but I do favor Dometic over Thetford. It's not just a preference but a opinion based on having many of both over the years. That said, I make haste to change out a plastic potty quickly to Porcelain, as soon as possible if there is a direct replacement.

Please keep us posted on your progress finding this one. It sounds like you are on the right track.

Maybe a call to Dometic customer service about your theory and maybe they will step up. A loo should not be a throwaway item after 3 years IMO.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:46 AM   #4

Dometic was having that same problem with the model 320 toilets.I wound up getting two of them and they finally replaced a third one with the one that was repaired or re-designed since then it worked fine. Not sure about the model 300

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:59 AM   #5

UPDATE:
I tested the bowl of the toilet by putting one gallon of water in and putting a piece of painters tape at the top level of the water. After 36 hours, there was some water loss but I'm unsure as to how much was related to evaporation. I did not take the toilet off to see if there was any water that may have accumulated in the cavity after my test.

If I had more time, I would remove the toilet, fill the bowl, cover the water surface with Saran wrap to minimize evaporation and let it set in the garage for two weeks. I can't though since we're in the middle of camping season.

I bought the camper new in February of 2018 as a leftover 2016 model so I still have seven months left on the 2-year Jayco warranty. I called the dealer and explained the continuing problem I had (since they had already replaced the floor seal twice trying to fix the problem). I took the camper into the dealer last Friday after the July 4th holiday. I called today and they said they contacted Dometic. They said they were getting a new toilet for me. Unfortunately, I was not allowed to pay the difference to upgrade to a porcelain toilet. They can only do an even trade under warranty. I guess I can only hope this new one lasts for awhile.

One last observation that I failed to mention. I would completely empty the toilet to travel. Once I parked the trailer, I would find nearly an inch of yellow-gray water had accumulated back in the toilet bowl over the flush valve I asked the kids if they used the toilet. It happened several times (with the accompanying odor). I guess this supports the fact that the water that had accumulated in the cavity was now reversing direction when the actual toilet bowl was empty.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote