Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-09-2016, 11:47 AM   #1

Angry Electric tongue jack frozen burned motor

My electric jack was frozen when we hooked up to head south recently. Eventually freed it up using a heat gun on the barrel of the jack post, but apparently fried the motor trying to get it to move before bringing out the heat gun. Suspect I'll need to replace the motor any suggestions on where to get a new motor w/o paying Jayco parts prices?

Have a shop at home that rebuilds auto alternators and will check with them to see if they can fix my jack motor. May just need new brushes but don't know anything about that.

In the mean time using my ratchet with 6" extension. Advice: tape the socket to the extension so you don't have to remove screws in plastic top cover to retrieve a run away socket.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
My electric jack was frozen when we hooked up to head south recently. Eventually freed it up using a heat gun on the barrel of the jack post, but apparently fried the motor trying to get it to move before bringing out the heat gun. Suspect I'll need to replace the motor any suggestions on where to get a new motor w/o paying Jayco parts prices?
...snip...
Advice: tape the socket to the extension so you don't have to remove screws in plastic top cover to retrieve a run away socket.
No idea where to get another motor. Sorry. Is replacing the entire jack too expensive?

Another suggestion: Get a small plastic bucket or trash can to put over the jack to keep water out and as a handy place to hang the safety chains.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:39 PM   #3

Isn't there a fuse on electric jacks that pops when the motor is overloaded? Have you checked for one?
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
Isn't there a fuse on electric jacks that pops when the motor is overloaded? Have you checked for one?
X2 - I'd check all of your fuses before spending the money on a new motor
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:15 PM   #5
Site Team

I saw one on a friends rig that had a aftermarket self resetting breaker and a 30a fuse.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:18 PM   #6

Don't know about the fuse, but will put a meter on the leads to see if it is getting power. Not optimistic since it seemed to bind up and then would only work very slowly one way and nothing the other. Will get after it tomorrow.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:51 PM   #7

UPDAGE: Chased the wiring up into the jack control circuits and confirmed power thru the 20amp breaker. Then confirmed power thru the up/down switch. So have power going into the motor. When I was fussing with the wiring and working the switch, the motor started spinning but then stopped when I released. Seems there is a loose terminal where the blue/red hot wires goes into the bottom of the motor. When I gently pull on them I get the motor to spin. Bad news is I couldn't loosen the 2 screws holding the bottom plate on the motor case. Didn't want to booger things up by striping out the screws so just put it back together and will stay manual until I get home and can get some advice on how to best proceed.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:07 AM   #8

Contact the manufacture of the jack... Mine treated me very well when I had a problem.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:01 AM   #9
Site Team

If that one is toast I would look into a Barker. I have the VIP 3000 and I removed it from my previous trailer so it is now at least 7 years old. Never an issue. Made in USA, at least mine was.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:29 PM   #10

Upgrade to a Barker VIP 3000. You can get them on Amazon for around $200.00
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
If that one is toast I would look into a Barker. I have the VIP 3000 and I removed it from my previous trailer so it is now at least 7 years old. Never an issue. Made in USA, at least mine was.
Yep, they are made in the USA. Battle Creek Michigan to be exact. They are not too far from my house.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:24 PM   #12

Yes, there is a 30 amp fuse on the electrical line between the jack and battery. If you overextend the jack, or underextend the jack, it blows the fuse. You then have to manually turn with the socket a couple of turns after replacing the fuse, BEFORE hitting the switch, or it will blow again. I went through 4 fuses in 30 seconds before calling the dealership and getting that info. Here's hoping you get yours fixed for little or no cost.

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.” G.K. Chesterton
navymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:28 PM   #13

Had mine replaced under warranty, they put in a Atwood 3500 and it works way better and faster than the OEM unit.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:05 AM   #14

How do they route the wiring to these things. I have a ground on the outside of the shaft running down to the TT frame, but the red and black coming from the battery seem to appear at the top with the switches and then into the bottom of the motor. Only thing I can figure out is that the wiring is feed inside the tube itself, with the outside tube larger in diameter than the actual leg.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:12 AM   #15

I have a Barker power jack and I had a problem where it acted weird. It would work only sporadically. Finally it quit. So a friend helped me dismantle it and checked the motor, grease fittings, etc. Even checked the in-line fuse and everything checked out. So thinking it was toast and I was going to be buying a new one, I checked the battery connections and it turned out, the positve connection was loose. Once I tightened it, the PJ started to work again.

Needless to say..... I was a happy camper!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by navymommy View Post
Yes, there is a 30 amp fuse on the electrical line between the jack and battery. If you overextend the jack, or underextend the jack, it blows the fuse. You then have to manually turn with the socket a couple of turns after replacing the fuse, BEFORE hitting the switch, or it will blow again. I went through 4 fuses in 30 seconds before calling the dealership and getting that info. Here's hoping you get yours fixed for little or no cost.
On my old Trailer with a Husky Brute 4500# never had a problem with the fuse.

Then I buy my new Jayco with the el-cheapo jack and bang fuse blowing problems.

I installed an inline circuit breaker on mine now all I have to do is reset it if I need to.
http://s365.photobucket.com/user/bgr...ml?sort=3&o=14
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:02 PM   #17

+1 on an upgrade. I replaced mine with a Husky Brute 4500 lb jack when my OEM jack suffered repeated water intrusion and finally kicked the bucket. Not the one with the remote. It came with an auto-reset circuit breaker (instead of a 30A fuse in a semi-weather proof boot) and it works GREAT. I love that it uses a ball bearing drive instead of the standard screw-type drive. It runs SUPER smooth and no problem lifting the truck and trailer to install the WDH bars.

If I were you, instead of working so hard to fix the factory jack (which is a piece of junk anyway, IMO), I would just get a new one. If your trailer is still under warranty, ask if it can be replaced under warranty, and ask if you can pay the difference for an upgrade (no way was I going to let them put the same OEM junk back on, I would rather have paid the entire thing out of pocket).

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
+1 on an upgrade. I replaced mine with a Husky Brute 4500 lb jack when my OEM jack suffered repeated water intrusion and finally kicked the bucket. Not the one with the remote. It came with an auto-reset circuit breaker (instead of a 30A fuse in a semi-weather proof boot) and it works GREAT. I love that it uses a ball bearing drive instead of the standard screw-type drive. It runs SUPER smooth and no problem lifting the truck and trailer to install the WDH bars.

If I were you, instead of working so hard to fix the factory jack (which is a piece of junk anyway, IMO), I would just get a new one. If your trailer is still under warranty, ask if it can be replaced under warranty, and ask if you can pay the difference for an upgrade (no way was I going to let them put the same OEM junk back on, I would rather have paid the entire thing out of pocket).
Will see if I can fix the oem jack when I get home, but ordered a replacement yesterday and it will be there when I get home too. If I get the oem fixed it will be mounted on my pontoon trailer. Would have had it sent to the CG but just don't want to mess with the swap while on vacation.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Will see if I can fix the oem jack when I get home, but ordered a replacement yesterday and it will be there when I get home too. If I get the oem fixed it will be mounted on my pontoon trailer. Would have had it sent to the CG but just don't want to mess with the swap while on vacation.
Good call. Though it's really only a 10 minute job, so even on vacation, not that big an issue. Have a good rest of your trip! And it'll be nice to have an electric jack for the boat trailer!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote