Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-22-2018, 05:04 PM   #1

Electric tongue jack repair

The up/down switch went bad on my 23J tongue jack. Jayco says replace the whole jack, no parts available. I had a momentary DPDT toggle that I wired for use temporarily, covering the top of the jack with a plastic bag to protect the switch that just hung in the open. I found on Ebay an almost exact match switch, a Genssi, Momentary 12V 3 Position DPDT, is how they describe it, with no part numbers but does have a bar code number: 682858532300, made in China of course, just like the original. I used the crimp style slide on terminals, making the wiring as needed to adapt it, instead of soldering like the original was, and a poor soldering job it was at that. I have a terminal crimper that puts a dimple in the backside of the lug assuring solid contact. Simple squeeze crimpers might not be enough. I lost the weather boot that went on the original switch, it may have fit this new one. I put a thin coating of clear RTV around the edges, along with a little 'shed roof' sheet metal screwed above the switches to shed rain.
CALNNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:12 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Switches are available at automotive stores (at least in this great country).
Most Jacks need a cover as they are not waterproof and will ruin switches and seize the motor. Also install a #10 ground directly to the motor and the battery.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:59 AM   #3

The switch is definitely replaceable - I've done it. Very simple to do. Check for the manufacturer's plate on the jack and contact the them for the part. Mine is a Stromberg Carlson. I agree with ALJO - cover it. I just use an old bucket to keep the rain out.
Happy camping!

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:59 AM   #4

Don't know if mine was a switch issue but the OEM tongue jack died when the TT was 1 year out of warrantee. After doing some research and advice from many forum contributers, I replaced and upgraded to a stronger unit for about $120. Has worked great since. OEM componets used by RV manufacturers are not the best, just the cheapest. Spending time and $$ to keep them in service is often not the best decision.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Don't know if mine was a switch issue but the OEM tongue jack died when the TT was 1 year out of warrantee. After doing some research and advice from many forum contributers, I replaced and upgraded to a stronger unit for about $120. Has worked great since. OEM componets used by RV manufacturers are not the best, just the cheapest. Spending time and $$ to keep them in service is often not the best decision.
Got a link to the brand you got?
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:17 PM   #6

Check out this link to Amazon Warehouse deals, there are always several models to choose from, I bought a brand new Barker VIP 3500 jack for $80.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...condition=used
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:00 AM   #7

What do you use to cover it while going down the road? I have a cover supplied when I bought my jack, but I don't trust it to stay on while traveling. When parked, I use the cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
The switch is definitely replaceable - I've done it. Very simple to do. Check for the manufacturer's plate on the jack and contact the them for the part. Mine is a Stromberg Carlson. I agree with ALJO - cover it. I just use an old bucket to keep the rain out.
Happy camping!

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9999 View Post
Got a link to the brand you got?
Purchased on Amazon. Bulldog 500200 model. Has worked great with significantly more power than the OEM.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:59 AM   #9

I agree with replacing the jack with a new one. Especially if the unit is still under warranty. If Jayco is paying for replacement, maybe try to add a few bucks to their cost and replace with something better. That's exactly what I did when my OEM jack bit the dust (water intrusion).

I replaced with a Husky Brute (screw-type ball bearing drive) that had higher capacity, was water proof, came with a breaker instead of a fuse, and worked A LOT smoother than the OEM jack ever did. My only regret was not getting the one with a remote, that would've come in handy a few times...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote