Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2021, 11:54 AM   #1

Electrical Outlet Issue

Hi all, I am new to this form but have an issue with my 2001 Jayco Eagle 296 trailer.

The electrical is working except starting with my TV electrical outlet going towards the master bedroom five of the outlets do not work including one of the lights in the bathroom. Has anyone experienced this and would anyone be able to give me any guidance or tips. The one thing I must add is that I unplugged the stereo and it appears that it is possible around the same time that we had electrical issues. Does it seem to be that maybe the wiring is in a series? If so would I be wise to try bypassing the stereo completely?

Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Gary
garyprimrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 12:47 PM   #2

I assume you reset all circuit breakers as this would be the first and easiest thing to try.

Nothing will be wired in series but they will be daisy chained meaning they will be wired in parallel with one outlet feeding the next. A loose wiring connection at an outlet can affect all other outlets in the string.

The typical wiring of electrical outlets - circuit breaker will feed the first outlet which most likely will be the closest one to the breaker panel. This outlet will be fed 120 volts from the breaker (black wire) plus the common (white wire). An additional black and white wire will connect to the first outlet and feed to the next outlet in the chain. An open in either the hot (black) feed or the common (white) feed will kill the outlet(s).

I would test the power at the first dead outlet with a voltmeter. Test for 120 volts between hot and neutral and between hot and ground. If you don't have it between hot and neutral but do measure 120 volts between hot and ground, you have an open in the neutral (white wire) connection.

Tracing 120 volt electrical problems is not too difficult once you get familiar with a voltmeter. I have attached some documents that should help.

The light that is out is not 120 volts so is not part of this initial problem. It should be 12 volts. The first check is to see if the bulb is burnt out. You can easily measure for 12 volts at the lamp socket. If there, the bulb or socket connection is bad. If not there, the fuse protecting that light may be open or the switch could be bad or???

Give the voltmeter a shot and let us know. We are chock full of suggestions and more than willing to help.
Attached Thumbnails
Voltmeter.JPG  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Quick Multimeter Instructions (ver 1).pdf (376.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: pdf RV Electrical Troubleshooting (ver 2).pdf (2.01 MB, 1 views)

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 02:57 PM   #3

Is it possibly the GFI has been tripped. Check all the outlets that don’t work, one is probably GFI, push the reset button.

All kinds of stuff can be on that circuit, our calling fan is on the GFI circuit.
Old 06-05-2021, 03:31 PM   #4

GFI's go bad too. So check it out too.
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
296, eagle, electrical, jayco, stereo