Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-23-2022, 01:47 AM   #1

Epic Roof Rail Fail

So there’s a good reasons why I don’t let anyone touch my tools or my truck or my camper without me there. My dearly beloved who’s got a heart of gold but TBI wanted to make life easier for me and take down the camper after cleaning. He wanted to surprise me but he didn’t know I was testing out the three way fridge on our 2012 Jayco Sport 12. After saying “TaDah! Look what I did” and the ensuing fight over thanks but never touch my pup again, he proceeded to raise the roof back up, so I could get to the fridge. In anger, he forgot to unlatch one of the four roof latches and proceeded to rip off the corner railing. Rip off extends the whole length of the back and half way down the side. After the firestorm argument that ensued, I’m stuck trying to have to fix this. I took out the twenty roof railing screws and discovered that this must’ve happened before because half the screws were rusty and half were new. My attempts to bend back the roof railing failed, as I have nerve damage in my hands and can only pound on things for so long. So I found a young neighbor willing to help who almost fixed it. But sure as fire in hell, the corner looks impossible to get back to the original curve. Does anyone know, can you safely use a torch to heat that medal and bend it back into position? All I know is if it’s aluminum, I heat will weaken it. I don’t care about the aesthetics of it, as you can always paint stuff.
Should I attempt this or should I take it to the repair shop?
DeeneePop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 02:26 AM   #2

Try an internet search. There are many sites dealing with pup rebuilds. You might find some good ideas and parts sources.

Edit: ... sometimes less expensive to replace than repair. Also, you might find what you need on Craig's List.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote