Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-29-2015, 06:42 AM   #1

Expectation on Repairs

Being a new owner of a 2015 264BHW, I would like to know if my recent experience with a repair is normal. This past June we took a trip to South Dakota where our trailer suffered damage from a hail storm. After getting home, we met the insurance adjuster at the dealer where the cost to repair the damage was around $12,500.00. Fortunately the roof did not sustain any damage.

The dealer said that they would order the parts and start repairing the unit in a couple of weeks. After a month, the dealer told me that they were still waiting on the metal siding. After two months, I was told again that getting the siding was the problem.

At this point, I started talking to the owner of the dealership and Jayco to see what could be done to expedite getting the siding. The dealer told me the problems was with Jayco and gave me the order number and said that I could call Jayco. There was nothing they could do. Jayco informed me that they were having issues with siding being delivered damaged or damaged at Jayco during the unloading process and that they were working on fixing the problems. I didn't seem that the dealer was doing much to help.

After another month, we finally got our trailer back but have to again take it back due to lousy workmanship. There was a hole inside the trailer over the top bunk in the back, paint of the A-frame was scratched up where they took off and replaced the gravel guard, butyl tape was used when putting the windows back and was not trimmed and the trim on the corners was wavy or bowed. Basically, except for the siding, the trailer looked worse than how it looked when brought in.

Working with Jayco was enjoyable but I was surprised that they were experiencing damaged metal issues after being in business for so long. Working with the dealer was another story. Is my experience typical of the travel trailer industry?

Thank.

Boris
BorisAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:18 AM   #2

I'm not sure of what to expect on major repairs to RV's... But I have had car collision damage repaired on several occasions.

Other than the (IMO offensive) delays, the workmanship is on a par with body shops.

"Just get the work out-the-door-so-we-can-get-paid." is the general attitude.

No consideration for details or doing a quality job!

Keep in mind that RV's in general are not expected to last very long. (asbestos underwear time) 5-7 years is what they are built for*. So nobody who is paid to fix them really cares for long-term repairs.

---------------------

*Yes, many of us keep our RV's well past the 10 year mark. My last TT was 32 years young when I sold it. But, in general they are not built to last.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
I'm not sure of what to expect on major repairs to RV's... But I have had car collision damage repaired on several occasions.

Other than the (IMO offensive) delays, the workmanship is on a par with body shops.

"Just get the work out-the-door-so-we-can-get-paid." is the general attitude.

No consideration for details or doing a quality job!

Keep in mind that RV's in general are not expected to last very long. (asbestos underwear time) 5-7 years is what they are built for*. So nobody who is paid to fix them really cares for long-term repairs.

---------------------

*Yes, many of us keep our RV's well past the 10 year mark. My last TT was 32 years young when I sold it. But, in general they are not built to last.
You are going to the wrong body shops my friend. Your vehicles should come back looking and driving like new. Mine have the couple of times I've had to have collision work done. My truck just got hit, minor damage but it's going to same shop my HHR was fixed at earlier this year. I expect the same excellent work and service as is the shop's reputation.

Trailers and RVs are no different. If it doesn't come back looking like new, the shop isn't qualified to do the work in the first place. Trouble is that the RV industry isn't held to the same standards as the auto industry and far too many RV shops do shoddy work. And the manufacturers don't hold them accountable.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
You are going to the wrong body shops my friend. Your vehicles should come back looking and driving like new. Mine have the couple of times I've had to have collision work done. My truck just got hit, minor damage but it's going to same shop my HHR was fixed at earlier this year. I expect the same excellent work and service as is the shop's reputation.

Trailers and RVs are no different. If it doesn't come back looking like new, the shop isn't qualified to do the work in the first place. Trouble is that the RV industry isn't held to the same standards as the auto industry and far too many RV shops do shoddy work. And the manufacturers don't hold them accountable.
I would LOVE to find a place that does an excellent job for the amount the insurance company says it should cost.

Close, but still mismatched paint. Paint on the gaskets. Re-used trim that should have been replaced. Finding bits of glass 2 years later. Not all the screws for the wheel wells installed. Doors that align to the fender but not the other door (or vice-versa). The latest: headlamp that can't be aligned properly after a deer strike repair. The worst (sent back): The steering wheel was 45 degrees off (didn't anybody at the shop who moved the car notice THAT one?).

It's unreasonable to expect a 40,000+ mile car to "look and drive like new". In NY, the insurance law calls for something like "pre-collision condition". But, when the attitude of the owner/shop foreperson is get the work done as quickly & inexpensively as possible, they send it out shiny and hope the customer doesn't notice the new flaws.

In my experience, all shops are pretty much stuck with that formula. I try and do all my own maintenance and repairs so that I know where the foul-ups, bleeps and blunders are. Certain things like state inspections, alignments and tires have to be done at professional shops because the equipment is just too darned expensive . I have found two independent shops I can trust to do decent work for those things.

(I'm sorry if I highjacked this thread with my rant.)

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:35 AM   #5

I can't believe they didn't total it - a new one doesn't cost much more than $12,500!

Dealers are going to vary so much from horrible to great - just like any other service, depends on which one you are working with. Unfortunately, unlike body shops and car dealers, there aren't Jayco dealers on every corner to choose from... For something like yours, I would have taken it back to the factory if that is an option.

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:02 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods

This is not an atypical thread or an atypical experience. Mixed results are somewhat dependent on ones ability to be familiar with the industry and be able to inject yourself more into the process than you would for your car due to the complexity.

My understanding is that the RV mfg don't have the leverage over the parts suppliers to the same degree the auto mfgs have.

Also, we need to be our own quality control inspectors when we buy new, but few owners can wear that hat beyond a cursory review, or reviewing with someone else's checklist in hand...which is better but still limited by ones level of RV service skilled knowledge.

These are, after all, entertainment purchases and there is some sense "by those" taking care of your issues that you should be able to afford alternative entertainment options to direct yourself while waiting. For example, while the RV is in shop, you could be talking a vacation to Panama...or if funds are limited, go for a local day hike around your area.

Some owners have up-skilled to the point of doing most of their own warranty work. Also, if you can afford an RV, one should be able to afford going to an independent RV repair or body shop and giving them the work, even if you have to pay for part of it.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:26 AM   #7
Site Team

"There was nothing they could do. Jayco informed me that they were having issues with siding being delivered damaged or damaged at Jayco during the unloading process and that they were working on fixing the problems. I didn't seem that the dealer was doing much to help."

I`m having difficulty understanding this. If their aluminum siding is being delivered damaged or damaged while unloading (WTH?) then all production of aluminum sided units would stop, let alone shipments for warranty purposes. And that would be a bunch of damaged siding. I suppose its possible, but seems unlikely. I wonder if there is a shortage of siding due to the demand in the industry with so many new RV`s being built and the new units are getting priority. Just a thought. BTW welcome to the forum and sorry for your issues.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:57 PM   #8

Thank you all for your responses on this matter. I've learned a lot from the your input.
BorisAF is offline   Reply With Quote