Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-29-2018, 08:36 PM   #1

Question Exterior Caulk

I had to pull apart the front bunk on my 19h which included taking the metal frame apart from the actual bunk. The caulk that was there had already failed and water leaked in and rotted the bunk end from the bottom up (about 16"). All of that has been replaced and the door is back together but I ant to make sure I get it sealed up tight. I plan on doing the rear door even though it is not leaking at this time. I figure if one has started the second can't be far behind.

What caulk is recommended for the exterior where the aluminum frame meets the fiberglass exterior? The guy at my local box box gave me an exterior caulk, for houses, that is goof on 'siding' and metal. I'm not home so I don't remember which brand.

THANKS!

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:45 PM   #2

OSI Quad caulk. Very sticky stuff.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
X2 its what Jayco uses.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:39 AM   #4
Site Team

Steer away from big box stores when buying exterior sealing materials. Remember the advice you get is from a new guy who has little or less knowledge of rv's than you.

Get it from rv dealers or online sources that have the goods you need.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:13 AM   #5

Guess I'll be stopping off and getting some OSI on the way home.

I have no doubt that most of the people in the stores aren't very competent when it comes to RV (and many of their products in general) this guy has been there for several years. I think what he gave me would work but I am going to go with the OSI Quad because others here have used it. And caulk is cheap enough that if I just redo it every couple of years, whether it looks bad or not, I should not have this issue again.
The caulk that was on there still looked good and was stuck in most spots around the door - just a couple or spots a few inches long that let in all the water running down the bunk door ruined everything. And just by inspection it looked and felt like it was good.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

Old 10-30-2018, 07:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
X2 its what Jayco uses.
Thanks!!

ROOF REPLACEMENT

Old 10-30-2018, 07:23 AM   #7

X2 on the OSI. My caulk at the front cap shrunk and was letting water in. I use the OSI Quad caulk a year ago and it is still a solid as day one. Read the directions, this is not like using regular caulk; much harder to expel. Also suggest you use blue tape to outline the caulk run as it is a challenge to clean off once it drys.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:42 AM   #8

condensation or water leak?

during the rainy times either with the air conditioner on or heat we"ve seen water all over the place. On walls, windows, and in closets. The dealer did a water pressure test and said everything is just fine. We don't really buy this. Not sure . Called jayco was given the run around. As for the service manager he was cold and couldn't care less. Oh by the way this is 3 months old. To go somewhere else is not practical. And jayco is in Indiana. Anyone else have a experience with moisture inside a jayco 5th wheel? trailer?
dustyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyd View Post
during the rainy times either with the air conditioner on or heat we"ve seen water all over the place. On walls, windows, and in closets. The dealer did a water pressure test and said everything is just fine. We don't really buy this. Not sure . Called jayco was given the run around. As for the service manager he was cold and couldn't care less. Oh by the way this is 3 months old. To go somewhere else is not practical. And jayco is in Indiana. Anyone else have a experience with moisture inside a jayco 5th wheel? trailer?

Condensation. You have to keep the inside of your RV ventilated. Crack a couple of windows and a roof vent. Or don't breath, cook or run water in your RV.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:10 AM   #10

condensation or water leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyd View Post
From your description...
"during the rainy times either with the air conditioner on or heat..water all over the place. On walls, windows, and in closets." and
"The dealer did a water pressure test and said everything is just fine."
... it's likely condensation is the problem.

With high humidity, water vapor will condense on the coldest surfaces. Reducing the interior humidity is the first thing to try: Always use exhaust fans when showering, doing dishes, cooking, etc. Also, leave a ceiling vent open and a window open a small amount. Of course condensation in rainy weather is a challenge because the humidity is near 100% (air fully saturated) both inside and outside.

In some situations in the south, some members on this site have used dehumidifiers because of high humidity.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
Thanks!!
You can buy OSI Quad, at most big box stores.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:13 PM   #12

Quote:

What caulk is recommended for the exterior where the aluminum frame meets the fiberglass exterior? The guy at my local box box gave me an exterior caulk, for houses, that is goof on 'siding' and metal. I'm not home so I don't remember which brand.

THANKS!

Jayco uses OSI QUAD Sealant which you can purchase at Home Depot, Lowes/ Menards, great stuff, dont ever use anything with silicone in it, it wont last and nothing sticks to it, not even silicone
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:54 PM   #13

Quote:
You can buy OSI Quad, at most big box stores.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Jayco uses OSI QUAD Sealant which you can purchase...
Thanks!

Stopped on y way home and grabbed a tube. Opened it up and I guess it's bad, I can't get it to come out of the tube. Stuck a screwdriver in the tube and it came out with just a slight bit of white on it. The tube says 24mo shelf life but I don't have a way to decipher the copes on the tube. UGH!!!
I'll be taking it back and maybe digging into an unopened box.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

Old 10-30-2018, 08:36 PM   #14

Working time on Quad Seal is seconds, not a lot of seconds either!

To work it a trick was posted earlier. Use oil on your finger, keep oiling it every time you spread out or force the caulk in a crack. WD 40 was suggested but I had some motor oil and a few drops in the cap was plenty to help spread it out. Don't get any on where you do want it to stick!!

In fact, clean the area with alcohol, acetone or whatever you have to make the surface absolutely clean so this stuff will stick forever.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:37 AM   #15

Condensation

Thanks very much. I hope it's condensation.but in the closet? Will try.
dustyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:47 AM   #16
Site Team

We have had condensation on inside walls in the past. I attribute it to leaving the rig unvented. Best to get a sanitizer like pinesol in a weak solution and wipe the walls down and let it dry. If it ever gets that stinky mildew smell it can make living it miserable for those with allergies.

When our dehumidifier is not on we always have several roof vents open.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:12 PM   #17

I like the OSI Quad EXCEPT that its consistency is so thick. Maybe I should put it in hot water to warm it up before using. Do any of you have any secrets in using this stuff?

PS: I had a small caulking failure a couple months ago and purchased a tube of E6000 adhesive. It has thinner consistency than OSI Quad but really seems to be the same type of product. After one month of RV use the caulked seem appears perfect. Has anyone else tried this?
Old 11-03-2018, 04:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Thanks!

Stopped on y way home and grabbed a tube. Opened it up and I guess it's bad, I can't get it to come out of the tube. Stuck a screwdriver in the tube and it came out with just a slight bit of white on it. The tube says 24mo shelf life but I don't have a way to decipher the copes on the tube. UGH!!!
I'll be taking it back and maybe digging into an unopened box.
QSI has a date code on the bottom of the tube. First 2 digits are the year, the last 3 numbers are the day of the year. This is the mfg code, it has a shelf life of 24 months.

You can also get QSI Quad at Ace Hardware.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:29 PM   #19

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
QSI has a date code on the bottom of the tube. First 2 digits are the year, the last 3 numbers are the day of the year. This is the mfg code, it has a shelf life of 24 months.

You can also get QSI Quad at Ace Hardware.
Awesome, I'll be checking that when I get home.

Thanks!

ROOF REPLACEMENT

Old 11-08-2018, 07:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
We have had condensation on inside walls in the past. I attribute it to leaving the rig unvented. Best to get a sanitizer like pinesol in a weak solution and wipe the walls down and let it dry. If it ever gets that stinky mildew smell it can make living it miserable for those with allergies.

When our dehumidifier is not on we always have several roof vents open.
Just plain old vinegar works great also. Kills mold, cleans as good as any commercial cleaner. All natural.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote