Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2018, 03:40 PM   #1

Faucets from the Big Box Store

I've read about replacing the sink or bath faucet in my Greyhawk with one from Lowes or the such. In trying this I have run into connection problems with the water lines. My MH water lines are rigid plastic without any give to mate up with the faucet connections. Regular water supply hoses are Female to Female while I need male to female types which I've not found.

How does One accomplish this installation? I'm probably overlooking something very simple, or at least I hope so!

Jump

Jerry Mary and Daisy the Beagle
2022 Alante 29S
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:46 PM   #2

Do they sell adapters at Lowes and such?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump View Post
I've read about replacing the sink or bath faucet in my Greyhawk with one from Lowes or the such. In trying this I have run into connection problems with the water lines. My MH water lines are rigid plastic without any give to mate up with the faucet connections. Regular water supply hoses are Female to Female while I need male to female types which I've not found.

How does One accomplish this installation? I'm probably overlooking something very simple, or at least I hope so!

Jump
Most likely you have Pex lines in your RV. Easy way is to get SharkBite values which do come with a threaded end for the line to your faucet. No special tools required.

Good luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:17 PM   #4

I had no problem when i replaced mine with a faucet from lowes, my line are pex, and I had no problem finding male/female hoses connecting hoses also at lowes. maybe you lowes was just out of stock
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump View Post

Jump
I would suggest looking around for other sources, Both HD and Lowes carry faucets which typically have plastic values and look the same as the standard faucets from companies that typically use brass valves. As with most everything you get what you pay for.

Good Luck.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:56 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies.

I'll see what Lowes has in the way of hoses.

I've heard of the Shark bite fittings but have not used one. May give that a try.

Jump

2022 Alante 29S
Old 02-15-2018, 06:58 PM   #7

The quest continues...

I purchased two of these valves at Lowes. 3/8 and 1/2 threaded ends on it. Everything screws together so I think this will work.

Jump
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0011.jpg  

2022 Alante 29S
Old 02-15-2018, 08:06 PM   #8

SharkBite UC120LFA Threaded Male Adapter, 1/2-Inch by 1/2-Inch

Copy this into Amazon search, if your female is 1/2 inch, give this a look for sliding into the pex and connecting the faucet.

I would add a hose clamp to the pex end.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:53 PM   #9

The easiest way is use this Sharkbite straight stop valve, just push it on the Pex and you can then connect the female to female supply from the Sharkbite to the faucet. You can buy them at Home Depot or Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/SharkBite-230...rkbite+fitting
Attached Thumbnails
shark.jpg  
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:16 AM   #10

Yeah Guys, I wish I had gone with the Sharkbite connector.

What I bought had fine threads versus coarse threads. Wouldn't tighten. Finally bought the right fitting and it works.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Jump

2022 Alante 29S
Old 02-16-2018, 12:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabirch View Post
SharkBite UC120LFA Threaded Male Adapter, 1/2-Inch by 1/2-Inch

Copy this into Amazon search, if your female is 1/2 inch, give this a look for sliding into the pex and connecting the faucet.

I would add a hose clamp to the pex end.
A hose clamp will not work on PEX you can't nearly enough pressure with a clamp. You need either the solid ring or the pinch clip for pex...Actually there is another style but it used with a different type of PEX, you expand that pex and it relaxes onto the pex fitting.

Good Luck.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:20 PM   #12

Sharkbites made me look absolutely brilliant when I replaced the kitchen and bath faucets on cool and dreary day last week. Well worth the additional few bucks.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
A hose clamp will not work on PEX you can't nearly enough pressure with a clamp. You need either the solid ring or the pinch clip for pex...Actually there is another style but it used with a different type of PEX, you expand that pex and it relaxes onto the pex fitting.

Good Luck.
Appreciate that tip, will add some to tool box.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabirch View Post
Appreciate that tip, will add some to tool box.
To use either of those clamps, you will need to purchase a special tool, Cost anywhere from $35 to $90. This is why sharkbite fittings are used, they require no special tools. The sharkbite fittings cost more, but unless your going to install a bit of Pex they may be less expensive than purchasing the tool. I carry the tool and assorted pex fittings, but also used pex when installing a new bath with double vanity, dual shower etc..

If I was only concerned about my RV I would purchase a few fittings in case of emergency. Perhaps a cutting tool (makes sq cuts on the pex, inexpensive) straight connectors to join a pex pipe you cut to eliminate a crimp etc, and a couple of caps....just to cap off a line till you can get somewhere to make the repair.

Good Luck.

PS I would also carry some "rescue" tape, that's a brand name, but tape you can wrap a drain pipe to stop a leak again till you can make a permanent repair.

Along with all the typical items, fuses etc.