Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-12-2019, 04:51 PM   #1

Finding & Repairing Roof Leak [Photos]

Hello All,

I have a 29' Jayco and we've recently discovered a small leak in the area of the photo below. I've already resealed the windows directly above but the leak persists.

No damage as of yet because we caught it early but I want to fix this once and for all. I have a feeling it's coming in through the edge roof seam. I rubbed a tree a couple years ago while leaving a campsite as the backend swung out (no external damage) just a squished gutter but I feel it might have compromised that seam as it's pretty much above where we have the leak.

I wanted to reseal the roofing systems using Eternabond but am unsure if it's OK to use the product over the edge seam as it would have to adhere to the plastic gutter trim as pictured? Would this be sufficient?

The water appears to be coming from the top of this compartment, where the luan meets the wood frame in the top of the door frame, it seems like it's the entire length of the door frame. So it's coming from inside the wall, not the compartment outer edge seal.

I want to install 4" eternabond over the entire edge (both sides) and the front back seams too to stop any problems in their tracks. Am I going up the right track? I am unsure if sticking it to that plastic gutter trim will be a good idea.

Any feedback or suggestions?

Thanks!
huntnrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Water travels, so where you hit the tree might be the leak. Storage doors and windows are prone to leaking with the foam-rubber seals, remove them and install butyl tape.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:12 PM   #3

Thank you Aljo, I am pretty sure it's not the seal around the compartment as it's coming from the inside edge along the top of the door frame. There is exposed wood there and it's coming between the luan and the wood frame on the inside edge.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:04 PM   #4

Have you ruled out the windows above the storage door (they look like windows)? I’ve had the main door window leak in the 5th and found a small leak in another window in the previous TT when replacing a broken window. Like the storage door, windows have a thin foam seal that is flimsy and if not installed correctly and given time is prone to leak.

From your pic it looks like the roof fabric goes over the edge and is sealed to the wall under the gutter. The eterna will probably stick to it with no problems and would probably look good if applied carefully (smooth, no wrinkles). I’ve had leaks at the front and rear seams on the 5th and the eterna solved them.
It’s good stuff and the warmer it gets the stickier it seems to become.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:13 AM   #5

As others have said water travels to find it's way out. It could be the light as that is over the door. I would pull the lower window to see if it is wet. If it wet on the top then move up to the upper window. If neither is wet then move up to the roof. Depending on where you find moisture around the windows it will point to possible source. Either way resealing the roof with tape might be good prevention.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:45 AM   #6

Sounds like time for a pressure test.

https://www.sealtechleaktesting.com
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnrig View Post

I wanted to reseal the roofing systems using Eternabond but am unsure if it's OK to use the product over the edge seam as it would have to adhere to the plastic gutter trim as pictured? Would this be sufficient?

I want to install 4" eternabond over the entire edge (both sides) and the front back seams too to stop any problems in their tracks. Am I going up the right track? I am unsure if sticking it to that plastic gutter trim will be a good idea.

Any feedback or suggestions?

Thanks!
I did exactly as you describe, including adhering the Eternabond to the vinyl trim. I can tell you that applying the Eternabond without wrinkles is very difficult; just clean well, remember that Eternabond will not stretch, and work slowly as you peel off the Eternabond backing.

I applied the Eternabond to my roof and roof edges about 8 years ago; it it is still well adhered and looks good. I do have a few small wrinkles in the roof edge Eternabond, but I prefer wrinkles to leaks.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:55 AM   #8

“applying the Eternabond without wrinkles is very difficult;”

I’d say it’s next to impossible [emoji1787]

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
I prefer wrinkles to leaks.
Me too 👍. On the trailer as well as myself 😏

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:06 AM   #10

My roof is set up the same way with the roof material going over the edge and behind the gutter. Very vulnerable to branches. I've thought about proactively doing Eternabond all the way around just in case. Looks tricky though securing it around that small edge.
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:46 PM   #11

Thank you for the replies everyone! It looks like the nearest RV pressure testing place is a few hours away. I might try and run my own pressure test with a shop vac (YouTube Video showing the process). I am a little hesitant to start removing windows but agree that would help me isolate the leak.

Right now I am leaning towards eternabond on all of the roofing seams, is there another option for sealing the edge seams? Not sure if the dicor self leveling would be good for that? The seams have a very fine bead of something, dicor is all over the roof around vents, etc...
Old 02-13-2019, 06:05 PM   #12

I had a Mallard Travel trailer with metal sides developed a leak similar as yours what happened was the factory never trimmed the metal correctly and pulled the roof over to attach the gutter over time the metal wears thru the edge and it leaks
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond, roof leak, roof repair