Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-27-2016, 11:05 AM   #1

First time DIY winterizing 2016 Jayco Octane 222

Hello, I reviewed some threads but haven't seen any that stick out. Other than reviewing manual for winterization, has anyone found a good youtube video or one made by a manufacturer for winterizing 2016 Jayco Octane 222? We plan to use the RV antifreeze system, not compressed air. We plan to dewinterize it in the spring. Thanks everyone.
jrhawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhawkins View Post
Hello, I reviewed some threads but haven't seen any that stick out. Other than reviewing manual for winterization, has anyone found a good youtube video or one made by a manufacturer for winterizing 2016 Jayco Octane 222? We plan to use the RV antifreeze system, not compressed air. We plan to dewinterize it in the spring. Thanks everyone.
Winterizing doesn't really change much from trailer to trailer.
They are all pretty much the same.

Questions to answer:
Does your Hot Water tank have shutoff valves on it? If yes, then make sure you bypass the HW tank before pumping in antifreeze to your system.

Photo here: This photo shows the bypass valve closed. Before winterizing, turn the bypass valve to open (parallel with the pipe) and turn the CW in and HW out valves to closed (perpendicular to the pipes). Some newer trailers have only two valves instead of 3.

Does your FW pump have a winterization hose along with a shut off on it? If yes, then turn the valve and insert the plastic tube in your gallon of antifreeze. If no, then I strongly suggest you buy one and install it.

Link here: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-36543-P.../dp/B0006JJ588

Do you have an outside shower? If yes, then make sure to turn it on (both H & C faucets) until pink stuff comes through.

Here's a video that covers most of what you need to do.

But don't do what he did to purge the city water intake of water. Notice how the city water intake keeps leaking water out of the trailer? If you depress the anti-backflow valve with the water pump on, the full pressure may dislodge the o-ring on the backflow valve and it will leak. You will have to take the City Water intake apart and re-seat the O-ring. (I know this from experience).
Instead, turn off the pump and open a faucet to decrease the pressure (but not all the pressure). Then go outside and depress the backflow valve and you should be OK.

Also, you should find the low point drains for your plumbing system and open those until you see pink coming from them.

If you have a black tank flush system, then you should winterize that as well. In the past, I've not done anything and it still works OK, but this year, I just used some compressed air to blow out the line going to the BW tank.

And be sure to put enough antifreeze in all of your p-traps to displace the water that is held in those.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote