Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2015, 09:28 AM   #1

First time winterizing tips?

Hi all, This will be out first winter with an HTT that needs to be winterized and I'm not sure how to go about it. Our old pup didn't need anything other than making sure the water tank was empty, but now with all the fancy new systems.... I have seen ads for a blow out plug? It looks like you screw it onto the city water intake and then use a compressor to blow air through the system. But I don't have a compressor. When we bought the unit in spring the water system was filled with pink antifreeze. How do you get the antifreeze through the whole mess of pipes? Is that what the air pressure is to do, push the antifreeze through, or is the air just to dry out the pipes so there is no water to freeze in them? I hate to be ripped off by Camping World for them to winterize, if I can do it myself, but I don't want to have a lot of new problems next spring when we first start out again. Thanks for any tips and advice that you have. oh yeah, we have a Feather x17z if that helps.
secal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:37 AM   #2
Site Team

There are two methods for winterizing, the compressed air only method and using the waterpump to inject antifreeze into the system. Some do both for added peace of mind. Here is a thread dedicated to winterizing with instructions for both methods and a discussion on the topic. Its really not that hard at all, the first time being the hardest since it is a learning experience. According to our poll 87% of our members do their own winterizing.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...12-a-9335.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:46 AM   #3

Thanks for the super quick response. I just glanced through the link and will give it a shot myself. I never noticed the line to pull the antifreeze through using the pump, but then again, I wasn't looking for it yet. That should make life a lot simpler. I'm sorry that this year is over for us, but really looking forward to next season.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by secal48 View Post
Thanks for the super quick response. I just glanced through the link and will give it a shot myself. I never noticed the line to pull the antifreeze through using the pump, but then again, I wasn't looking for it yet. That should make life a lot simpler. I'm sorry that this year is over for us, but really looking forward to next season.
Yes those hoses and valves are part of a "winterizing kit" that are now standard on most units but used to be an option years ago. It also includes the bypass valves for the water heater so you do not fill it up with 6 gallons of anitfreeze. If you have any questions during the process just give us a holler and I`m sure someone will have an answer.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:22 PM   #5

Just make sure you close the valve between the fresh water tank and the pump, and open the winterizing valve.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:53 PM   #6

Well, that was interesting. It actually took longer to put the new cover on than it took to inject the antifreeze. Thanks for the tips.

Tags
htt storage, winterizing