Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #1

Fiver brake locking up

One brake seems to drag more than the others, especially when I brake more aggressively- The wheel bearings were repacked with new grease seals just before we hit the road- The brakes worked properly until yesterday- Now one brake grabs when activated- Suggestions needed as to what happened and what can I do before going to a garage- We are on a tight schedule because we played too long and hard in Az. The wiring that is visible seems to be ok- No bare wires or missing connectors- Advise needed from the forum- THANX in advance for all replies- DD
Old 04-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #2

Brake problem solved

Had a tech in Deming, NM look at problem-He adjusted all 4 brakes- The 1 that was grabbing was 3 clicks tighter than the others but all were too loose- We have 200 miles on the repair and all is well- DD
Old 05-16-2012, 06:25 AM   #3

It sounds like you "may" have got too much grease in the hub when re-packing and it is now spreading out over your whole brake assy. Might be a good idea to check that area of the hub and see what you have...

Also the brake assy has the same brake adjustment just like a car/truck has using the brake adjustment tool. This might need to be done as well. You know the drill - adjust until you feel drag on the brake shoe and then back off a half a turn.

I suspect the grease from the recent hub re-pack is spreading around the brake assy causing the problem as this is a common thing I read on these forums.
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote