Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2024, 06:00 PM   #1

Fixing a Hole

I showed pics in another thread of a tree dropping on my buddy's RV. We now have the tree branches cleared. So far the only damage is on the front cap just above the front window. There is a hole in the outside aluminum siding about 6" long and an inch wide, positioned horizontally.

We used duct tape as a temporary expedient to seal out rain water that was expected in a few days. No time to do a professional job.

My first thought was to use overlapping laps of Eternabond. Good or bad idea? What would be the preferred permanent repair?
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 12:02 PM   #2

How about a new piece of aluminum? Or an aluminum patch with butyl behind it and screwed to original, then painted.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 12:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cooper View Post
How about a new piece of aluminum? Or an aluminum patch with butyl behind it and screwed to original, then painted.
That was one thought of mine.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 04:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cooper View Post
I was thinking it would need a new piece of aluminum but I had the combined thought of butyl AND Eternabond. I guess it all depends on how pretty he wants it to look.

Both are probably overkill, but it's sure not to leak.
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 08:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKyle View Post
I was thinking it would need a new piece of aluminum but I had the combined thought of butyl AND Eternabond. I guess it all depends on how pretty he wants it to look.

Both are probably overkill, but it's sure not to leak.
Unless the strip is completely replaced, everything else is a bandaid.
I’m not sure why his friend would not call his insurance company and get it fixed correctly.
My son was looking for a used RV. The ad said had roof leak but it was repaired. The 1” x 6” split between the wall and the roof was repaired indeed. With at least 3 tubes of silicone caulk. Looked sealed to me as we drove away quickly.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote