Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-13-2015, 02:05 PM   #1

Fixing an old Thetford hand flush toilet

On our last outing of the season, I was filling our FW tank and had the pump on to fill the water heater. Once I started to get water from the hot side, I turned the faucet off. Only to hear the pump still running. So I ran to the bathroom to see why it was still running. The sinks not on, the tubs not on, pop open the toilet seat/cover and find that the toilet is filling. We were having trouble all summer long and the last time out the wife said something about the toilet not always shutting off. Fortunately it did not over flow, so I just turned the pump off and continued to our site.
Once mostly set up, I headed into town to the only RV shop and talked with their people. They advised me to replace the whole unit, but being a mechanic, I figured Id try my luck at the valve, since everything else seemed to be working correctly.
SO, with limited tools (a needle nose pliers and Phillips screw driver is all I needed) I managed to remove the nuts that hold the toilet to the flange. I also was able to get the hose connection loose with it. Once loose, I removed it from the camper and turned it upside down. I removed the screws on the underside to gain access to the valve assembly. Once the cover was off, I removed the screws that hold the valve in and removed the old valve. While apart, I took the time to give the whole unit a good cleaning. I followed the directions on reassembly and put it back in the camper with no other problems. $180 for a new toilet, or $35 for the valve. Seems like a pretty simple choice to me.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:06 PM   #2

Nice job Plowtoy. I just did basically the same thing only we weren't camping. We had water behind the toilet [last trip] so I replaced the valve and vacuum breaker when we got home. 40 bucks from Amazon, problem solved for now. We have the Thetford Style 2 porcelain toilet.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote