Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2021, 06:19 PM   #1

Flush Hot Water Tank

I decided to flush our hot water tank. Went to the hardware store and purchased some pvc pipe and connections so I could fill the hot warmer tank with vinegar. It took 4 1/2 gallons.
It sat overnight and in the morning I drained it. It did have some dirty vinegar come out at first. It worked just fine. I flushed it and everything was wonderful.
I problem is I drained it in the back yard. It killed everything that the vinegar hit. Bush and grass. I just found the perfect weed killer! Do not detain the tank in your yard!
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:16 AM   #2

yep, vinegar is prime product in home made weed/grass killers. even diluted... can't imagine what full strength vinegar would do.
GumbyN28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:30 AM   #3

Will vinegar cause problems with the tank metal?
Old 08-05-2021, 11:42 AM   #4
CAG

Quote:
I just found the perfect weed killer! Do not detain the tank in your yard!

Nope, it does not kill the roots unless you flooded the area but is a good topical.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:45 AM   #5

Vinegar, Dawn Dish Soap and Epsom Salt is a great weed treatment but as CAG said it's only topical...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:56 AM   #6

I think I will try the weed killer. We have everything now to mix. The spot that I drained the tank is dead! The spot is 6’ x 12’ and nothing is trying to grow. The burning bush is dead. 2 weeks nothing growing.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:34 PM   #7

I put epson salt in an oak tree stump and did not do much good, other than killing half of my wife’s azaleas.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:24 PM   #8

I put Eason salt on a stump from a pine tree I removed about 39 years ago. Drilled holes in the stump to help it work with the rotting. It is still there! I treated it about 6 times. Never worked for me. I guess it has to be mixed to work.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:44 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
Will vinegar cause problems with the tank metal?
It won't cause harm if used diluted in water, not ever heated or left in for a long time, and flushed out thoroughly with plain water. Vinegar is acidic, and will even dissolve aluminum foil.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:30 AM   #10

Any need to neutralize with baking soda and water after the flush?
Old 08-06-2021, 09:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Any need to neutralize with baking soda and water after the flush?
I don't. A couple rinses removes enough such that I don't taste it.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:36 AM   #12

We were all over the east coast and we spent a month and a half if Florida. The water in Florida was not good to drink. We used bottled water. You can not make coffee with Florida water. After using the trailer to escape winter I decided to flush the water heater. I am glad I did. When we shower it smells better. Well worth the time to flush the tank.
Old 08-06-2021, 01:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
I don't. A couple rinses removes enough such that I don't taste it.
I would worry about eating away at the tank if not neutralized. I have put metal in vinegar and the next day it was ate up.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:42 PM   #14

Atwood water heaters have aluminum tanks. They don’t need rods. Let the vinegar work for 24 hrs. I had a scope that I use looking down cylinders and the tank was very nice. I will do this every spring for now on.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by campersam9 View Post
Atwood water heaters have aluminum tanks. They don’t need rods. Let the vinegar work for 24 hrs. I had a scope that I use looking down cylinders and the tank was very nice. I will do this every spring for now on.
Yet manufacturers make magnesium anode rods specifically for use with aluminum tanks.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024ECD2I

The aluminum is going to corrode, though at a different rate than a steel tank.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:56 PM   #16

Quote:
I would worry about eating away at the tank if not neutralized. I have put metal in vinegar and the next day it was ate up.
Agree. That's why I rinse it 2 or 3 times. That's more than enough to dilute the acid without having to add baking soda and then rise out the baking soda. YMMV.
Old 08-08-2021, 01:50 PM   #17

Mine has no need for the rod. MFG. told me they don’t have one. Keep the plastic plug it will blow out if too much pressure is in the tank.
Old 08-11-2021, 05:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by campersam9 View Post
I once slipped (say slipped, as I knew better, but..) put a brand new aluminum cookie sheet into the dishwasher and it came out with pencil-sized holes x2. YES< I would worry about Atwood also. Vinegar is recommended in big restaurant commercial dishwashers for removing calcium, but they are stainless w/ brass pipe/ fittings
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 01:25 PM   #19

2013 Seneca

I purchased my 2013 Seneca in August 2020 from a pretty reputable RV dealer in Spokane. I did a pretty thorough pre-delivery inspection. Everything I opened or turned on or tested...worked and was in serviced condition. I walked around the RV with the technician that prepared it in tow. The one thing I did not pull out was the Anode. It looked fresh on the outside and I figured that since everything that I saw so far was good, I would skip that. The previous owner replaced the water heater with a Suburban product. I was told to service the anode at one year. It went a little longer and I just pulled it out. Not only was there just a wire left dangling from the plug, but the tank was encrusted with calcification. I spend about 30 minutes with a coat hangar acting like a dentist and scratching out the plaque. I would estimate that about 3 cups of calcium came out. I have only run soft water through the system for the past year, so I know I inherited that mess. Anyway, it is clean now, maybe I will consider a vinegar or some other flush.

On an interesting note, the Chassis batteries were showing signs of age. I pulled them out and took them in for testing... the date code on the battery was 2013 which meant they came with the RV new. Can't believe they lasted until 2022. Hope I get that service life out of this set.
tpastorini is offline   Reply With Quote