Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-16-2017, 12:32 PM   #1

Fresh water over flow going into gray

Need some ideas on what happen....I just picked my 2017 324 bhts back up from my dealer after they could not get camper to duplicate the problem I thought I had. This past hurricane season my prep was just to fill our freshwater tank and that's when I was filling the tank and notice it was taking forever, then I notice the sink drain in kitchen was bubbling. The reading on fresh never got above 2/3 full and kitchen gray read full, so before our last trip I drained the fresh at home and gray at campground. The problem is I just spent a hour with the tech and we couldn't get same results as I did back in Sept, and DW will not use camper water even with a filter on it to cook or even wash dishes. She will barely use it to shower, and don't even think about using it to brush our teeth. Her reason is if the fresh is connected to gray, black may be too, and the reason for my rambling.....happy wife happy life as they say....any advice or tips much appreciated

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
jklowe48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:31 PM   #2

Do you have a builtin holding tank rinse? Maybe a check valve stuck open.
retiredtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:32 PM   #3

Fresh water overflow/ vent always drains under the trailer with a short section of hose or tubing. For obvious health & code reasons fresh water will never be vented or such to a sanitary system. Sure you did not have a spigot open & it was flowing in one end & right back out the drain ?
o2silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:35 PM   #4

Camper does have the black tank flush, and the couple of times I used it I wasn't impressed with the water flow coming out of tank into sewer hose.

Old 12-16-2017, 01:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2silverado View Post
Fresh water overflow/ vent always drains under the trailer with a short section of hose or tubing. For obvious health & code reasons fresh water will never be vented or such to a sanitary system. Sure you did not have a spigot open & it was flowing in one end & right back out the drain ?
I'm positive pump was not on or any faucet open. Both my wife and I were in and out of camper cleaning and restocking. But if I can't get it to do it again. That's the only logical explanation I can come up with also. Maybe outdoor kitchen faucet was open.????

Old 12-16-2017, 02:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklowe48 View Post
I'm positive pump was not on or any faucet open. Both my wife and I were in and out of camper cleaning and restocking. But if I can't get it to do it again. That's the only logical explanation I can come up with also. Maybe outdoor kitchen faucet was open.????

Agreed. There is no way the tank flush is connected in any way to the gray tanks . Water in water out. Just my best guess.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:30 PM   #7

There is a post on this forum from a couple years ago about a similar problem.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ked-25377.html In this case it was the black water holding tank, and apparently the check valve would fail sometimes.

I'm surprised your dealer didn't just replace your check valve out of caution. Your wife is right to be concerned.
retiredtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtech View Post
There is a post on this forum from a couple years ago about a similar problem.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ked-25377.html In this case it was the black water holding tank, and apparently the check valve would fail sometimes.

I'm surprised your dealer didn't just replace your check valve out of caution. Your wife is right to be concerned.
In no way is the black tank flush connected to the gray tanks! The tank flush is in the black water tank if it overflows it comes over the top of the toilet . Not the kitchen sink! I assure you there is no possible way potable drinking water is connected in any way to sanitary tanks. Except when you run it down the sink or tub drains ! Period !
Old 12-16-2017, 03:13 PM   #9

Quote:
In no way is the black tank flush connected to the gray tanks! The tank flush is in the black water tank if it overflows it comes over the top of the toilet . Not the kitchen sink! I assure you there is no possible way potable drinking water is connected in any way to sanitary tanks. Except when you run it down the sink or tub drains ! Period !

actually if you leave the black tank flush on and forget it, with the discharge valve closed it will come out the vent on the roof. I saw it only once, at a campground I was working in.. The toilet seal is strong enought to not allow water to get past it, either direction and the path of least resistance is the vent pipe.

I do agree that the fresh water tank is not connected in any way to the grey or black waste tanks. The outside faucet is a good possiblity, but the water pump would also have to be on, unless it was being filled through the city water connection and not a separate connection for the fresh water tank.

Im looking at my water and wast system plans (which by the way I got in less than 12 hours from Jayco. I sent an Email last sunday nite about 10ish my time and by 8 my time (arizona) I had all the plans for plumbing, framing, electrical... amazing service.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Or its plumbed wrong at the factory....if there are two fresh water tanks one is filled from the other after the 1st is filled.

Old 12-16-2017, 05:11 PM   #11
Site Team

I would not make any assumptions using the fill gauges. They are notoriously wrong.

Sounds like you have gone off on a tangent to me. No way they could be connected.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I would not make any assumptions using the fill gauges. They are notoriously wrong.

Sounds like you have gone off on a tangent to me. No way they could be connected.
Yeah I guess so....I tend to ramble...sorry about that!

Old 12-17-2017, 02:38 AM   #13

The two fresh water tanks on my 23RB fill equally at the same time. Equally, when I'm draining the fresh water tanks, I can empty both with just one valve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklowe48 View Post
Or its plumbed wrong at the factory....if there are two fresh water tanks one is filled from the other after the 1st is filled.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:07 AM   #14
Site Team

First time I have ever heard of this, and like the others have no explanation since grey and fresh are not connected. OP says pump was not on so that rules out my only thought which is a faucet was on.......
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #15

What about the position of the water valves at the hook ups?? What position s were they in??
jasum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
What about the position of the water valves at the hook ups?? What position s were they in??
Blue lever was flipped up for freshwater tank fill. When I was winterizing there is a valve in with the pump that was not on my 2010 Jayco. A plumbing schematic would be helpful here.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:42 PM   #17

Good evening, I'm new to this forum and looking for some help. I have a 2017 jayco eagle bumper pull and recently while hooked up to city water with fresh water tank Valve closed, my fresh water holding tank filled to the point of flowing out the toilet fill valve and flooded the bathroom. I know it is a bad check valve but I don't know where. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
KCtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCtraveler View Post
Good evening, I'm new to this forum and looking for some help. I have a 2017 jayco eagle bumper pull and recently while hooked up to city water with fresh water tank Valve closed, my fresh water holding tank filled to the point of flowing out the toilet fill valve and flooded the bathroom. I know it is a bad check valve but I don't know where. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Are you sure you didn't connect to the black tank flush ? If you did, once you filled the Black Tank it could overflow the toilet if the seal was not great.
I really believe that may be your issue.

Open your black tank valve and see if the tank is full.

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:05 PM   #19

Pretty sure you were probably connected to the black tank flush instead of the city water connection . This in turn overfilled the black tank.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Are you sure you didn't connect to the black tank flush ? If you did, once you filled the Black Tank it could overflow the toilet if the seal was not great.
I really believe that may be your issue.

Open your black tank valve and see if the tank is full.

Good Luck.
It was not the black tank flush. The water was not from the black tank. It backflowed through the system and came out the water port at the back of the toilet. Then filled the bowl and ran out over the top. The black tank was empty, first thing I checked. I have not used my fresh water holding tank yet. It read full on gauge, I went out looked for overflow drains and found it closed. Opened it, drained the fresh water tank. I was under the impression that the fresh water tank had overflow drains it. Am I wrong?
KCtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote