Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-04-2021, 07:37 AM   #1

Front Cap Paint Chalking Solutions?

Hello,
I have a 2018 Eagle 5th Wheel and the front cap is chalking in some places. I tried buffing with Meguiars Cleaner Wax yesterday. It made some areas that were not already sun faded shiny again. It did nothing on the areas that were chalking. I also noticed swirl marks in the shiny areas now. I heard it is futile to polish the cap because it is gelcoat and not paint. So... any advise or things you have tried?
Thank You in Advance.
bmanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 10:33 PM   #2

I’m testing using 303 aerospace protectant, not the spray wax, the straight protectant. I spray it on and DON’T wipe it off.
My boat was heavily oxidized and after a few applications it shows no oxidation and has been good for a couple years now.
Over this last summer, my 2017 began showing that dull oxidation. I applied one coat, took a 2500 mile trip and applied again when I returned a few days ago. It’s dark right now but I’ll check it in the morning and see if it’s improving.
Everyone once else just gets it repainted. Nobody seems to have a good option.
Old 06-15-2022, 12:57 PM   #3

We’ve been experiencing this too, is so frustrating. The Meguiars wax used to work like a charm but not this year. My husband tried to wax it but now the wax is sticking to the oxidized areas. (It was early morning and not hot). I don’t want to have to have it repainted and the sticker details reapplied.
SueAndDenM is offline   Reply With Quote