Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-21-2019, 09:33 AM   #1

Furnace or propane trouble ?

Hi everyone,

I'm really hoping someone can help me with my problem.

I have a 2016 jayco trailer. Its permanently hooked up on my property to 30amp power and has a full lp gas tank permanently attached too.
Up until yesterday I had no issues with the furnace or lp gas. We've had a few really cold days, waking up to -4 again this morning.
Propane is full and on. I can light the stove, it burns perfect for about 3 minutes and then goes very low and keeps burning like that. If I turn it off a few minutes it does the same thing, burns great and then burns very low but does stay lit.
The furnace blower kicks on but didnt seem to want to heat. Now itll keep running, barely putting out heat, and after running for about 4 or 5 minutes, trips the power for a few seconds before starting over again.
It feels like its blowing slightly warmer than cold air, if that makes sense.
The hot water heater sparks as it's trying to ignite but then the daily fault light comes on and it quite trying.

It seems like the gas isnt flowing properly. Yet everything was working fine a couple of days ago, and nothing has been moved or messed with.

Any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shilo
JayFeatherGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:55 AM   #2

Welcome to the Forum!

The first clue you gave was that the outside temperature was -4 degrees. Propane tanks don't like cold temperatures and sometimes will not allow a proper flow of gas. As temps warm up the flow should improve. Assuming you had the tank turned on prior to this happening. Moisture in the tanks can freeze and cause problems with the pressure regulator.

If you turned on the tank valve and then immediately tried using the appliances a safety check valve may have closed. A sudden flow of gas triggers that. Turn the valve off and light the range and let it burn off the gas pressure that is in the line, be sure to turn it off after the burn off. Go back out and turn the gas valve on by turning it very slowly so not to allow a sudden surge of gas. Wait a little while then go light the range. You should see an increase in the flame. If it's okay try the furnace.
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:28 PM   #3

My guess would be your propane regulator is bad. Have the pressure checked. I believe it should be about 13 - 15 water column inches. Regulators routinely go bad and the cold could have also affected the diaphragm.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:17 PM   #4

With it being that cold try pouring some hot water on the regulator. If that works put a light bulb in there to keep it warm.

Welcome and keep us posted.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:58 PM   #5

Yes on the light bulb 60 watt max....
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by theracqueteer View Post
My guess would be your propane regulator is bad. Have the pressure checked. I believe it should be about 13 - 15 water column inches. Regulators routinely go bad and the cold could have also affected the diaphragm.
10 to 11 inches WC pressure. I don't know if still done but during really cold temps the delivery folks could inject alcohol into the tank to keep flow going. Only saw this in my area back in 1988 when it got to -2 which is way below our normal.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:06 PM   #7

you don't state if the propane tank is full.. if it is not then you are loosing pressure because of the cold.. you have to warm up the propane tank... it can't produce enough pressure when it is cold like that... especially when less than 1/2 full...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, propane