Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-11-2021, 11:18 AM   #1

Furniture cover fluffing off

Had to have our driver and passenger seats recovered the material was fluffing of as well as the sleeper couch we had in 2010 Jayco Grey hawk. Purchasee a Thomas payne love seat from CW approx 3 years ago and now the pleather is fluffing off and will have to have them recovered. Cheaply made any ideas as to why this happens of has it happened to any body else.

Thank you
FireCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:59 PM   #2

In fact I have had my drivers and passenger seats replaced. I also replaced the sofa with a comfortable cloth fabric dual recliners, and I also removed the table bench seats and went with more comfortable dining table chairs. All of these items used the same pleather and had started to peel.

When I spoke with the dealer for the replacement captains chairs (flexsteel) I was provided with about 20 fabric samples in the color I wanted and I originally didn't want pleather or anything close. After discussing this deeply, I was informed that for many years Jayco (and other mfgrs) had used a cheap pleather and the issue I had (and you) was in fact pretty common, and that the replacement seat material that was similar and their recommendation had gone through a lot of testing where they rub against it thousands and thousands of times and flex it and stretch it, ... I don't really remember all the testing but I was assured the original problems with pleather would not occur and so far that appears to be correct and in fact the seats are very comfortable.

I will add that I was also told that anywhere in my RV that the original pleather exists that if it hasn't already started peeling then it would, just a matter of time. I still have that material on the bulkhead wall behind the driver and passenger seats that is in good condition (likely because it rarely gets touched). I have purchased but not used yet a spray that I was recommended to use (from another rv'r) that should protect that bulkhead wall from peeling in the future. You may want to consider the same, I can't tell you yet how well it works for me and I likely will not spray this until springtime. However I suspect it will help. I purchased the clear coating, (they make this in different colors).

~CA
Attached Thumbnails
dupli-color-clear-VinylandFabric.JPG  
Old 02-11-2021, 04:25 PM   #3

Did you re-cover your seats or replace them entirely? My dual theater recliners are peeling as well. Several estimates for just the cushion behind our head is $250.

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:52 PM   #4
CAG

Sloughing off? I guess I am not sure what it is doing.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 09:49 AM   #5

It's called Bonded Leather. It's basically scrapes of leather combined with other materials to make a leather like material. I've had 2 office chairs with bonded leather that eventually flaked off. One flaked off really bad. From what I had read, it is not uncommon for this to happen with Bonded Leather.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:36 PM   #6

Here, you should see a picture of my recliner today.
Attached Thumbnails
Recliner.jpg  

Old 02-12-2021, 12:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springhook View Post
Here, you should see a picture of my recliner today.
FYI, The spray coating I shared in comment #2 comes in many colors and people in the amazon product comments claim that they have used it for dealing with what you have in your picture, perhaps they have a color that closely matches.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:28 PM   #8

My concern with the spray coating would be when the pleather continues to peel after the coating is applied. Will the spray help to prevent continued peeling? If so, I'd use it in a NY minute.

Old 02-12-2021, 08:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springhook View Post
My concern with the spray coating would be when the pleather continues to peel after the coating is applied. Will the spray help to prevent continued peeling? If so, I'd use it in a NY minute.
I have no idea if it would stop the peeling, I tend to think it would only be a temporary fix if even that. I hope though that it can prevent any peeling that has not occured so I can treat the bulkhead area on my RV before it starts to peel. Some of the comments on Amazon stated that it would stop the peeling, however those comments are (imo) only to be taken with a grain of salt as those people may have not commented with any real time experience in place after they used the spray to know if it was a lasting fix or simply a temporary one. ~CA
Old 02-13-2021, 10:30 AM   #10

Thank you all for the info. Since the love seat is brand and may.out of warranty I will find an upholster and have marine gread material to recover like my buckets seats. I was told cheap material, heat and humidity breaks it down. I live in florida have portable 110 AC unit to try and keep cool and reduce humidity while in storage. Any thoughts on this or ideas.

Thank you

Dan
FireCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:45 AM   #11

I had the same issue pop up just last year with one side of the loveseat in our 2015 Eagle HT 5th wheel. We bought it used in 2018 and it was in excellent condition. We noticed the peeling last year while vacationing in Florida. Let me know if you come up with any other suggestions on how to fix other than going to the expense of reapolstering. Very disappointing!
Col Flag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:40 PM   #12

We just put a slip cover on the FlexSteel sleeper sofa in our 29BHS. It's a 2011 model, so the peeling wasn't going to improve with time. We had a slip cover from an old sofa we weren't using and it fit with a little help from some safety pins so it would fit snugly and move along with the cushions as we convert it from sofa to bed. Our girls like to fold it out into a bed to watch movies.
85vf500rr is offline   Reply With Quote