Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-02-2017, 02:55 PM   #1

fuse blowing

I have searched and this still eludes me.. so before I go to far maybe someone can help out.

New to me 2011 Octane.. PO added a second battery which is connected correctly.. The batteries are 12.50v and 12.48V at rest

When plugged in to shore or generator power and the fuse is not blown 13.89V so they are being charged.

If I disconnect the shore power and start the generator the fuse blows. If I stop the generator and add shore power it blows. It is a 15 amp fuse I have tried a 20amp it is an instant blow. Generator running added fuse poof... then later added fuse and it was fine same result for shore power.

If the batteries are no good which I would not discount at this point, could that cause to large of a amp draw when first trying to charge them? seems odd but plausible.

Question what size fuse should this be in the green wire connected to the black wire which goes from Green positive on one battery to a black wire that goes into the trailer? (pic 1)
Attached Thumbnails
fuse problem pic1.jpg   fuse problem pic2.jpg   fuse problem pic3.jpg  
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:31 PM   #2

Generally speaking, the main fuse is a 30 amp. I would get a more educated opinion than mine, however, considering what is at stake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2017, 04:52 PM   #3

X2 on the 30 Amp fuse. Looked up your TT and can't believe battery fuse would be that small. Check output from battery to assure you have no short in wiring.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:28 PM   #4

Mine also has a 30amp. I actually swapped mine out with a breaker (that says to be waterproof) like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-CB28...ircuit+breaker

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
I have searched and this still eludes me.. so before I go to far maybe someone can help out.

New to me 2011 Octane.. PO added a second battery which is connected correctly.. The batteries are 12.50v and 12.48V at rest

When plugged in to shore or generator power and the fuse is not blown 13.89V so they are being charged.

If I disconnect the shore power and start the generator the fuse blows. If I stop the generator and add shore power it blows. It is a 15 amp fuse I have tried a 20amp it is an instant blow. Generator running added fuse poof... then later added fuse and it was fine same result for shore power.

If the batteries are no good which I would not discount at this point, could that cause to large of a amp draw when first trying to charge them? seems odd but plausible.

Question what size fuse should this be in the green wire connected to the black wire which goes from Green positive on one battery to a black wire that goes into the trailer? (pic 1)
30 amp fuse is the normal size fuse for this location.

A couple questions, is the generator an on board unit, or a free standing unit?

Shore power, 50 amp or 30 amp (120Vac)? If you only have one AC you usually have a 30 amp 120V system, and if you have two ACs you have a 50 amp system 120 V AC power feed)l.

Next, The photos it looks like you have two different type of batteries, is that correct? All your batteries, should be of one manufacturer and of the same age, idealy, from the same lot.

Double check, if not connected to any 120 volt ac source, the fuse does not blow, is that correct?

Added thought, it's hard to tell in the photos, but I suspect your batteries might be wire up wrong. Can you sketch up where all the wires go. Simple line diagram should work. Then snap a picture of it and post it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:43 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies...

I just wanted to make sure it was a 30amp fuse out the get go. I am going to replace it with a 30amp Bussman...

30 amp service shore power, onboard onan 4kw, everything works so far as it should except for this little item. My guess is he was unable to locate a 30amp fuse...

Yes the batteries are in need of some love. One is the original from when he bought it so going on 7 years the other is around 4 years old... credit they work but no it is not done correctly.. 2 new batteries next spring and a new Blue Sea battery switch like on my boat...

one last question what is the orange/black wire for?

I am in MN as well...
Old 10-03-2017, 08:19 AM   #7

It is hard to tell in that picture. It is best to contact Jayco with your Vin number and ask for the wiring diagram(s), there are probably 3 of them. The 12V wiring is all done by color, so it is easy to track a wire.

I suspect the orange/black wire is emergency brake power feed. If I am correct you should be able to track it back to the controller/switch. If you have an electric nose jack, it could be the power feed for that device.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:21 PM   #8

Thanks for all the reply's appreciated.. I put in a 30amp and all is good to go...
Old 10-05-2017, 11:49 AM   #9

Great to hear! Have fun out there now!!!!

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote