Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2015, 09:41 PM   #1

gelcoat cracks

Tomorrow I'm taking my 33.5rets to the dealership for some mostly pretty minor warranty work. I've noticed that there are quite a few cracks in the gelcoat on the front nose cone concentrated in the upper passenger side corner. I first noticed these shortly after we purchased it new last July and I don't think they've gotten any worse. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this and if Jayco did anything about it.
mamasmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:27 AM   #2
Site Team

I had a small crack or imperfection in the gel-coat that I noticed a year after delivery. It was not a hole in the front cap but only a gel-coat crack.

My dealer got authorization from Jayco to have it repaired under warranty at a local fiberglass repair shop.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:54 AM   #3

I had a small 1-2" crack on the front cap in the center where it met the roof. Jayco replaced the entire cap.
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:59 AM   #4

Had a crack in our 2012 HT front cap up near the running light and Jayco replaced the whole cap under warranty.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:21 AM   #5

I had this same problem on two other trailers that we had, I don't understand with all the problems Jayco has with the fiberglass trailers, why the keep making them, or better yet, why do people keep buying them? I guess they must make a killing on them, and as long as people keep buying them they will keep making them.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:10 AM   #6
Site Team

A small 2 inch imperfection would not warrant stopping production.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 03-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
A small 2 inch imperfection would not warrant stopping production.
Your Right about that, the thing is, a small 2 inch imperfection is not the only problems they have with the fiberglass trailers.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:36 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch Pin View Post
Your Right about that, the thing is, a small 2 inch imperfection is not the only problems they have with the fiberglass trailers.

I have had 2 fiberglass rigs with zero problems. I prefer the durability over metal any day. Do you have any data to support your claim. I don't. Just what I have seen in mine and others.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 03-11-2015, 03:05 PM   #9

Quote:
I have had 2 fiberglass rigs with zero problems. I prefer the durability over metal any day. Do you have any data to support your claim. I don't. Just what I have seen in mine and others.

At the campgrounds I have worked at I would guess at least 25% of TT and 5ers had issues with the fiberglass. I would guess we had, 4,000 to 5,000 of those units pass through each year. It's why i purchased metal. It is really hard to adhere (glue) two dissimilar materials together, who expand and contract at different rates, and not have issues. Things move, water enters and bam..you have issues. Metal is mechanically adhered and movement is built in to the system.. JMHO I do like the looks of the fiberglass, just not the issues.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
At the campgrounds I have worked at I would guess at least 25% of TT and 5ers had issues with the fiberglass. I would guess we had, 4,000 to 5,000 of those units pass through each year. It's why i purchased metal. It is really hard to adhere (glue) two dissimilar materials together, who expand and contract at different rates, and not have issues. Things move, water enters and bam..you have issues. Metal is mechanically adhered and movement is built in to the system.. JMHO I do like the looks of the fiberglass, just not the issues.
The places around here where we camp, it would be more like 40% like you, we went with metal this time. I've had my fill with the fiberglass.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:11 PM   #11

Quote:
The only data that I need is what I see with my own eyes, and I've seen enough for me to stay away from the fiberglass. I would rather have a little ding here and there, as to have it to come apart.

We had two fiberglass trailers with problems, one was a 2013 and the other one was a 2014. The 2013 cracked real bad in less than a year, the 2014 started coming apart in three places, front side, back side and on the rear this all took place right around when it was a year old.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:27 PM   #12

My last camper, not a Jayco had all kinds of problems with fiberglass. I figured they had it figured out by now.

It got so bad when I towed it in for trade in the side ripped off and insulation went everywhere. Lucky I had some cargo pit tape heh heh. Every vacation I had to go and look for leaks and try to fix them.

Don't get me started on steel wheels lol.

DieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:35 PM   #13

gel coat cracks are typically caused by the gel coat itself being either too thick or too brittle...the fiberglass underneath probably isn't cracked but from aesthetics you hate to leave it that way. tt s and 5th wheels as well as motorhomes all have to give and twist so movement can possibly cause this. I work with fiberglass every day and I still bought a fiberglass sided trailer. each to his own but I like them and will keep it up the best I can so it continues to look good.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:53 PM   #14
Site Team

Perhaps they need to start using hand fiberglass lay up and also start popping them out of molds like boats. I have two fiberglass boats one is 35 years old and one is 9 and they have been worked hard, and of course are constantly exposed to water and pounding ..... I realize this is comparing apples to oranges and the cost would be outrageous but just sayin`
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:43 PM   #15

I think the real problem is, they are adhering the fiberglass panels to metal studs. Metal moves at a different rate than the fiberglass. I assume they are using a urethane adhesive, most likely a moisture cured. These can be touchy at best to use, curing by the moisture in the air. Temperature, humidity etc can all effect the cure time. Once cured the adhesive is somewhat pliable. I can only guess in the field, moisture, heat etc can all have some affect on the panel. I hope to be able to speak with someone when we do the factory tour next month. I've laid up a lot of panels, albeit not fiberglass, and I understand the difficulties in doing so. As others have stated with the movement of the rig that can also affect the bond.

Would be interesting to know how much they build in for warranty issues on fiberglass, bet it's a fair amount of the cost of the upgrade.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
gel coat cracks are typically caused by the gel coat itself being either too thick or too brittle...the fiberglass underneath probably isn't cracked but from aesthetics you hate to leave it that way. tt s and 5th wheels as well as motorhomes all have to give and twist so movement can possibly cause this. I work with fiberglass every day and I still bought a fiberglass sided trailer. each to his own but I like them and will keep it up the best I can so it continues to look good.
I agree. Not that you need my support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
Not that anyone asked...

I've noticed some questions about cracks in fiberglass gelcoat panels. To be sure, if the trailer is under warranty then the problems should be brought to the dealership for repair.

For older units, a few minor cracks may be better put on a watch list to determine whether they are stable or degrading.

The gelcoat serves two basic purposes. First it provides UV and damage protection for the structural fiberglass. It also provides a smooth good looking surface for the panels.

The strength of the panels is in the random or woven resin impregnated fiberglass cloth which is not related to the gelcoat. Properly prepped and impregnated fiberglass is of itself waterproof. Minor cracks in the protective gelcoat don't necessarily mean that the panels will let water penetrate the panels.

Hairline cracks in boat deck gelcoat are fairly common. They often occur in areas of stress or places where the gelcoat thickness is a bit heavy. Most of those hairline cracks in older boats are not repaired with no negative consequence.

My point is that on an older trailer it may not be worth the effort to repair minor gelcoat cracks. Watchful monitoring may be all that is necessary. The cracks may be unsightly but are likely not anything to worry about as to structural or water leak problems.

FWIW vic
On white trailers a bit of Tedlar tape can cover smaller cracks to make them less obvious. I find that cutting the tape with scissors using a bit of radius blends better than leaving square corners on the tape. Tedlar tape is used on plastic pipe insulation coverings and other similar applications. It looks decent and lasts next to forever when applied to clean smooth surfaces.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote