Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2022, 11:02 AM   #1

Generator issue

I have a QD 8000 that seems to work perfectly at home but on the road it will run for 5-8 minutes then stop flashing a 36 code (engine stop).
I exercise it a couple of times a month and have used it while putting in my solar.
I have 28 hours on it, since it is new, it had a service call when I first bought it (wouldn't start).
I'm on a trip. I'm going to replace the sir and fuel filters, I have over 1/2 tank of fuel, the oil level seems fine.

Any other ideas or tricks I should try?
Thank you!
2019 F-150
Semix-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 12:23 PM   #2

Generator

Had similar problem try fuel pump worked for me easy fix! Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 06:17 PM   #3

So, I was able to get some replacement filters (air, fuel and oil) for the generator from a Cummins dealer.
Unfortunately, they are out of all the filters I wanted for my main engine.
They had some openings for generator service, so I signed up for a diagnostic and repair tomorrow.
We'll see.
2019 F-150
Old 04-22-2022, 07:04 PM   #4

It's amazing what Cummins can do when they have a light day.
I had made an appointment yesterday, sort of first come, first served. They open at 7:00 and I was there at eight. The tech came in, drove the rig to his bay after seeing what I was trying to say about the issues. It had a bad fuel pump and they had one in stock so they replaced it under warranty*. The rig was ready to pick up just after noon. I cannot recommend this branch enough.

*What was very interesting to me was that when we first chose this rig, the generator wasn't working right. The dealer kept it for eight weeks claiming that the Cummins dealer was backed up.
It turns out that you have to register your generator through Onan when getting warranty work done. Guess what? The dealer never took it in to have it repaired. There is no record of this generator ever being worked on.
I will never recommend this RV dealer to anyone. Their work is sub-par and their ethics are horrible.
2019 F-150
Old 04-23-2022, 08:43 AM   #5

Trace your fuel line to the generator and make sure it is not getting crimped by the black holding as it slowly fills up. I found that when I got home and dumped the tanks generator ran perfect. When I left for a trip a couple days into it the black tank would slowly fill and crimp the fuel line. Get home and dump it goes away, back on the road it starts up again. Could not replicate or figure out what was causing it when at home. On the road, once I got under the coached and traced the line and saw it. I dumped the tank, then got under it and was able to move the line as it was ran between the edge of the black tank and the frame.
Old 04-23-2022, 04:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-NM View Post
Trace your fuel line to the generator and make sure it is not getting crimped by the black holding as it slowly fills up. I found that when I got home and dumped the tanks generator ran perfect. When I left for a trip a couple days into it the black tank would slowly fill and crimp the fuel line. Get home and dump it goes away, back on the road it starts up again. Could not replicate or figure out what was causing it when at home. On the road, once I got under the coached and traced the line and saw it. I dumped the tank, then got under it and was able to move the line as it was ran between the edge of the black tank and the frame.
Good to know if this happens again. The fuel pump was bad as it only pumped fuel when it wanted to.
2019 F-150
Old 04-24-2022, 09:25 AM   #7

Glad you got it fixed. I ended up buying a new fuel pump too for a possible fix and it was a no go but put the old one back on once i figured it out and have the new one for future use.