Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2023, 10:57 AM   #1

GFCI dead

Hello to all. I have a question about my GFCI plug and my kitchen plug. They are both dead. I tested voltage to both: 0 VAC.
Breaker from main is good, fridge, kitchen and bathroom are on same breaker they all work. Issue started same time two electrical cooking appliances were plugged in. I assumed it was a breaker but all looks good except GFCI circuit.
Saskman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 11:33 AM   #2
Site Team

Do you know how to test and reset the breaker on the GFCI receptacle?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 11:53 AM   #3

Gfci

I do know how. I also tested the voltage to GFCI and plug. Both read 0vac on voltmeter.
Old 08-20-2023, 12:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskman2010 View Post
I do know how. I also tested the voltage to GFCI and plug. Both read 0vac on voltmeter.
With the main power off, open up the GFCI outlet and pull it out so the wires are exposed. Turn the main power back on, and use your voltmeter to test BOTH pairs of wires connected to the GFCI. One pair should be "hot" - that's your incoming power to the GFCI from the wiring panel.

If neither pair is hot, your problem is before the GFCI, possibly the breaker. If only one pair is hot, but the GFCI won't reset, then the problem is the GFCI. They're fairly easy to replace.

Then it's time to check the breaker. Our RV circuit breakers are sneaky - they look like they're on, even when they have tripped. One of the breakers may have tripped, so turn then all off, then on again, one at a time. Won't surprise me if that fixes the problem.

Good luck!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 01:20 PM   #5

In the thread above I stated both wires are dead..0volts ac using volt meter. I reset main before and breaker to GFCI which also has fridge, bathroom and kitchen circuits in it. Everything works but GFCI and plug.
Old 08-20-2023, 01:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskman2010 View Post
In the thread above I stated both wires are dead..0volts ac using volt meter. I reset main before and breaker to GFCI which also has fridge, bathroom and kitchen circuits in it. Everything works but GFCI and plug.
Many RV'rs have reported in the past that they found a loose connection at the GFCI outlet. I would pull it and check the voltage on the incoming wires. ~CA
Old 08-20-2023, 01:59 PM   #7

If the wires are dead attaching to the outlet;

- Flip the breaker if you haven't already. May look fine, but could be tripped.
- Could have broke the breaker when it tripped, swap one from another spot or just buy another, they are pretty cheap and then you have a spare if it is ok
- Check the wires behind the breaker panel. I think CAG mentioned above there have been instances were they are loose from the factory.

unplug from shore and throw that battery disconnect switch before playing..
Old 08-20-2023, 02:02 PM   #8

oh yea, and easy one. Since you have a volt meter and know how to use it, check the power coming out of the breaker. Pull the front panel out, change to AC mode and put one end in the wire that goes into the breaker and another on the neutral bus bar..

If you didn't already know how to check, perhaps don't do it or watch some videos on how to do it. Don't need to fry stuff from short circuit or electrocute yourself.
Old 08-20-2023, 03:25 PM   #9

If the gfci is on the same breaker as other outlets you could have a loose wire in the outlet in the chain that feeds it. There may be a chain of outlets all connected to each other and if there is a problem with loose wires on one it often kills the next one in the chain. Could be the hot or neutral that is loose.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 04:30 PM   #10

GFCI dead

Thanks. I checked voltage at both plugs, the GFCI and kitchen plug with volt meter and got zero volts. GFCI was replaced not long ago so I pulled it out of wall which allowed acres to terminals zero volts.
I then tested kitchen plug at pins and also got zero volts. I am thinking it may be a loose wire in kitchen outlet. It is original Rv plug where they use the outlet as a junction box. Not easy to see contacts at it is sealed.Iím going to change that plug tomorrow. Hopefully itís a connection in the Rv plug.
Old 08-20-2023, 04:36 PM   #11

The GFCI in our Alante is at the breaker, not a receptacle. But it sounds like a bad connection somewhere. Would suggest you pull the cover off the panel and verify you have voltage coming from the breaker when turned on first though.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 04:47 PM   #12

I gave power from breaker. If I sh u t oh ff breaker I loose,, refrigerator, range hood power and bathroom fan. Breaker indicates the same. I’m replacing outlet in kitchen before I pull out breaker panel. My only complaint is no easy access to panel itself.
Old 08-20-2023, 05:55 PM   #13

Pull and check all the receptacles. You should find the issue. Good luck!
Old 08-20-2023, 06:27 PM   #14

If this is all on the same breaker, sounds like a loose connection on an outlet. If you hit up jayco they can provide a wiring diagram which is very helpful in these cases to see what is connected to what. Ie IF the power from fan then goes to outlets.. you know to check the fan connection next.
Old 08-20-2023, 06:52 PM   #15

Thanks to all who replied. I’ll let you know how I did or didn’t make out.
Old 08-26-2023, 12:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cooper View Post
Pull and check all the receptacles. You should find the issue. Good luck!
I bet this is it. Those RV outlets have steak on connections, coming and going. Iíve replaced a few and found them barely seated in their connections. Absolute crap! But they are for shallow spaces, so a standard receptacle may not fit.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 12:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
I bet this is it. Those RV outlets have steak on connections, coming and going. Iíve replaced a few and found them barely seated in their connections. Absolute crap! But they are for shallow spaces, so a standard receptacle may not fit.
If you want to install real receptacles, I am putting a link for a box that may get you there. Note, this will not work for GFCI receptacles.
Link: Carlon B117RSW Work Outlet Box, 1 Gang, 3.64-Inch Length by 4.07-Inch Width by 2-Inch Depth, Blue
https://a.co/d/ePEhblj
If you do not have 2” from face to opposite wall inside, maybe this one will work.
Carlon B108R-UPC Shallow Outlet Box 8.0 Cu in 3-5/8" Hx2-3/8 Wx1-1/4 D PVC 1 Gang Bulk, 3-5/8" H x 2-3/8" W x 1-1/4"
D https://a.co/d/iVTUg7D
Best wishes, Kevin
Old 08-26-2023, 03:24 PM   #18

I havenít looked at a wiring diagram but I believe the GFCI receptacles are daisy chained. The one closest to breaker panel is probably bad.
Jeff Evans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gfci breaker