Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-30-2021, 04:47 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudrockatc View Post
I have ran nothing but Sailun for many years, swear by them, however I run 16 inch G rated tires on a fifth wheel, not sure what smaller sizes they make!!
I don't see any trailer tires listed on their website.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 05:28 PM   #42

In prep for a trip from Tampa Bay to Cloudland Canyon, GA, we checked the bearings and brakes and discovered a thread separation on one of the 4 Maxxis. That was a real surprise.
They are about 6 years old with some 8K miles on them. 225/75R15
I heard about the “5 year rule”😉 but did not really buy into it.😬
I went to the shop in St. Pete who sold me the Maxxis 6 years ago but they could not get any from their various suppliers.
The manager highly recommended the Carlisle trailer tires, E rated.
We replaced the 2 rear Maxxis with the Carlisle and took the good Maxxis as a spare.
While on it, I checked my truck spare and saw that it was 9 years old.
Replaced that one too. With a Cooper.
The 2 Carlisle where $320 out the door . . .
Attached Thumbnails
457C03F0-9F7D-4047-858A-A795973DD5DD.jpg  
Jaycoskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 05:55 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycoskip View Post
In prep for a trip from Tampa Bay to Cloudland Canyon, GA, we checked the bearings and brakes and discovered a thread separation on one of the 4 Maxxis. That was a real surprise.
They are about 6 years old with some 8K miles on them. 225/75R15
I heard about the “5 year rule”😉 but did not really buy into it.😬
I went to the shop in St. Pete who sold me the Maxxis 6 years ago but they could not get any from their various suppliers.
The manager highly recommended the Carlisle trailer tires, E rated.
We replaced the 2 rear Maxxis with the Carlisle and took the good Maxxis as a spare.
While on it, I checked my truck spare and saw that it was 9 years old.
Replaced that one too. With a Cooper.
The 2 Carlisle where $320 out the door . . .
Guess I need to take a close look at my Maxxis tires now.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 06:43 PM   #44

I've had Carlisle HDs on my trailer for 3 years now (this year is season 4) and 20,000km. There in great shape still, with 7/32nds tread depth (they started at 9).

We're heading across the country in a couple of weeks, to the tune of 10,000kms. I'm expecting no issues from the tires, but I will report back if I have an issue. I upgraded from the stock load range D Rainier tires to load range E Carlisle's.

My rims are rated for 80psi, so that's what I run them at.
Old 06-30-2021, 06:51 PM   #45

80 PSI is too much for my taste. Makes the heavy sofa/bed move about a foot and the plates and cups are jumping out of their seats.
I run the front ones at 60 and the rears (the 5th wheel is tilted a little bit backwards) I run at 65. I measure the temps at every stop and they are even with this difference in PSi.
Jaycoskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:14 PM   #46

So the issue is no one and I mean no one makes the OEM tire for the pinnacle or northpoint. 255/85r16. I looked. GY is it... e rated... please tell me I'm wrong. 4080lb load rating. So after being truly pissed that jayco was dumb enough to put owners in a position that we had to stay with goodyear. I have found a long term solution. 245/70r19.5.. yes you have to change the wheels but with that tire size you are less then an inch shorter and less then an inch narrower. The weight capacity is higher and you have about 30 or more manufacturers that make them. Total cost with comparable wheels to oem and 4 okay quality tires its about $1100. But the flip side is if you have an issue on the road it's no problem to replace them and next time you replace your tires they will be cheaper because more then one company makes them. They are a medium duty commercial tire. Any thoughts and this change?
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:19 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad5581 View Post
So the issue is no one and I mean no one makes the OEM tire for the pinnacle or northpoint. 255/85r16. I looked. GY is it... e rated... please tell me I'm wrong. 4080lb load rating. So after being truly pissed that jayco was dumb enough to put owners in a position that we had to stay with goodyear. I have found a long term solution. 245/70r19.5.. yes you have to change the wheels but with that tire size you are less then an inch shorter and less then an inch narrower. The weight capacity is higher and you have about 30 or more manufacturers that make them. Total cost with comparable wheels to oem and 4 okay quality tires its about $1100. But the flip side is if you have an issue on the road it's no problem to replace them and next time you replace your tires they will be cheaper because more then one company makes them. They are a medium duty commercial tire. Any thoughts and this change?
I would be very skeptical about going from a 16" rim to a 19.5" rim. Clearance could be a big problem.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:52 AM   #48
RPR

If you look at the specs on the tires clearance should not be a problem.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 11:59 AM   #49

I had a friend that had a set of 17.5 rims so I put 10R17.5 on my Pinnacle and they fit fine and they are a all steel tire
2020 F-450 Lariat 6.7l CCLB DRW
rkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 12:01 PM   #50

I ran across this new Hankook trailer tire. The TH31 have some extremely impressive specs, particularly the load rating. The regular Trailer tires are just about identical to the GY Endurance.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hankook Vantra.pdf (1.73 MB, 8 views)
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:20 PM   #51

We got Goodyear Endurance tires and it was a great decision. They just look like they’re sturdier than most.
RollTideTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 10:38 AM   #52

Tires

My Toy Hauler came with Goodyear and never had an issue. Bought Maxxis tires when it was time to replace them. I've pulled her on a 6500 mile trip in April and now on the first leg of a 3500 mile trip. No issues so far (knocked wood).
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 01:37 PM   #53

I have a lot of confidence in my Maxxis tires. They sure hold up a lot better than the original Goodyear Marathons I had, and the second set of Marathons I was dumb enough to buy when I needed the first new set of tires. Thanks to this forum for the tip on Maxxis tires. I think mine were made in Indonesia.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 03:22 PM   #54
Site Team

I didn't realize the original Marathons on our 2012 were made in China until someone here mentioned about theirs. I thought being Goodyear, they were made here. Even though they were holding up well, their age made me get the Endurances last year. The Carlisle Trail HD was my plan B.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 04:27 PM   #55

Again can anyone point out another tire manufacturer that makes a 255/85r16? For the newer northpoints or pinnacle. Other then goodyear that is currently suspended production of them. 235 will NOT work they are not rated for enough weight. If you buy anything other then a 255 goodyear you are buying time bombs for your rv. I've looked at maxxis, trailer king, carliel, Hankook, even Michelin. Nobody has them in the 4080+ weight capacity. Jayco as inadvertently screwed us by using this size of wheel on our heavy 5thwheels. 1 manufacturer that makes them is a bad position to put owners in. Especially when that 1 manufacturer stops production. Jayco should have been putting 17.5 or 19.5 wheels on the big coaches from the start. Multiple tire options then. Yes I love the goodyear endurance that came on my northpoint and I would love to replace then with the same tire but I currently can't because goodyear stopped making them. I'm very happy with the 3.5 years and 30k miles on mine and I still have some tread left but not enough to feel comfortable taking them on another long road tip. And tips or other options would be great
Old 07-02-2021, 05:14 PM   #56

Mad,

A Google search of your tire size brought me here:

https://www.discounttire.com/fitment...size/255-85-16

You might look at them all to determine if any of this will serve your needs.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:40 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Mad,

A Google search of your tire size brought me here:

https://www.discounttire.com/fitment...size/255-85-16

You might look at them all to determine if any of this will serve your needs.

Murff
Murff
I have looked and non of the mud terrain or all terrain options have enough weight capacity. The goodyear tire that comes up on the list shows available in 3 to 5 days. Problem is they don't actually have them. When you oder them it tells you that they are backorder. And on most other sites that will actually give you a date of production they are already 1 to 3 years old. I don't know about you but I'm not paying $1000 for 3 year old tires.. thanks for the surch though.
Old 07-02-2021, 05:56 PM   #58

Maxxis not available some places

After some research I, too, was running Maxxis on our Eagle, purchased from Discount tire in WA. Picked up a deck screw in ME in a way that prevented repair and found out Discount Tire isn’t in the Northeast and Maxxis weren’t available anywhere near. Bought an off brand tire to get back across country then purchased 5 new Endurance, assuming Goodyear is available throughout the country. I don’t advise buying from Discount or Les Schwab if you travel the whole country.
WA5thwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 11:16 AM   #59

I emailed Saliun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipperD View Post
I just had dinner with a tire rep who has his own 5th wheel. He managed western US for Michelin, and now works with a nother company. He says Goodyear has closed down the Endurance tire line for a few years. He says all the tires are coming from China now, but there is a good one named Salium and he suggests buying the most plys for your tire size. I don't know this brand but I'm just sharing.

As a quick follow up to my previous post, I wrote Saliun and got this response:

"We are a wholesale tire distributor of multiple brands of tires, not a tire manufacturer, and we create dedicated websites for each of the brands of tires we distribute; we distribute the Sailun brand of tires in the USA. Sailun offers 2 lines of tires in the size you are inquiring about, LT275/70R18: Terramax HLT, an All_Season Light Truck & SUV Tire, and Terramax A/T 4S, an ON/Off-Road Light Truck & SUV Tire; both are load range E, 10-ply rated. You can review the specs for each tirebelow:

Terramax HLT - Sailun TerraMax H/T All Season Light Truck & SUV Tire
Terramax A/T 4S - Sailun TerraMax A/T On/Off Road Light Truck & SUV Tire"

"Use it or loose it."
SkipperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 11:26 AM   #60

So Sailun doesn't make a trailer tire. Who else is using LT tires on their trailers instead of a trailer tire?

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote