Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #11

After seeing this thread again it has occurred to me that you can tighten the lock with a wrench so they won't turn. There is a jam nut on the inside of the hatch. We had to do that with our trailer when we first bought it.

clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #12

I would love to see a picture of the hole, adapter and lock...

A round hole with a round adapter that accommodates a flat-sided lock has to be the craziest thing I've heard of....the round adapter is still going to spin in the round hole until you firmly affix the two. What materials are the lock adapter and door made from?

Good luck!

Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
I would love to see a picture of the hole, adapter and lock...

A round hole with a round adapter that accommodates a flat-sided lock has to be the craziest thing I've heard of....the round adapter is still going to spin in the round hole until you firmly affix the two. What materials are the lock adapter and door made from?

Good luck!
Agreed, they are simply drilling the holes and plugging in small black plastic sleeves to give you the oval fit of the door lock. The doors are the simple storage doors found on all trailers. Lightweight fiberglass with foam fill. The lock mechs have a nut that you can tighten but be very careful as is it only a low grade material that can and will strip. They are simply relying on the tension of that nut and the face of the lock to hold it in place. A simple turn of a flat head screwdriver will turn the entire cylinder and unlock your door. I guess this is why they finally went to a motor coach style lock mechanism on the newer model years.

I thought about cutting holes and installing them, but I am also not storing a genny or high dollar item in these holds so figured if someone wants my chairs and lights they can have it with minimal damage. Though it's pretty hard to turn my locks now.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #14

I'll add I'm very happy with my Global Link lock replacements. All my keys match now and the fully chromed precision lock body and threads (not cheesy, round-cornered pot metal) fit snugly in the cut-outs. You can crank the nut until you crush the door if you want... the price is very reasonable

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

And...if you don't have the the finger holds already.....these might add more surface tension and allow to increase the torque you can apply to the lock nut....(from my RV parts catalog or source online)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0160.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	9792

Good luck....

Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote