Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2021, 10:35 AM   #1

Heading South - Need Help “Dewinterizing”

I hope to dewinterize tomorrow before heading down to Florida. I am reading through the owner’s manual, but would appreciate any suggestions especially with the sequence of the process. For example, at what point should I reinstall the water filter. How do I make sure antifreeze doesn’t get into the water heater? I’m hoping to create a bullet point list that I could use and save for future use.

Tom
2018 Melbourne 24L
TRNewtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:14 AM   #2

Here’s how I dewinterize my pinnacle once we reach warmer weather.
Leave the water panel set to winterize/sanitize, connect and turn on a water source.
Run water thru all lines except fridge ice / water as if you’re winterizing looking for a clear flow. Don’t forget the outside shower, any external port and washer hookups.
Turn off water and set the control panel to tank fill. Turn on supply and run tank fill for a few minutes.
Turn off water, open fresh tank drain and set water panel to city fixtures or whatever yours says to run off external water supply.
Turn on water supply
Open valve to fridge water / ice maker and run a pitcher of water thru. Toss the first few trays of ice
Install filters

Hope this helps
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray75 View Post
Here’s how I dewinterize my pinnacle once we reach warmer weather.
Leave the water panel set to winterize/sanitize, connect and turn on a water source.
Run water thru all lines except fridge ice / water as if you’re winterizing looking for a clear flow. Don’t forget the outside shower, any external port and washer hookups.
Turn off water and set the control panel to tank fill. Turn on supply and run tank fill for a few minutes.
Turn off water, open fresh tank drain and set water panel to city fixtures or whatever yours says to run off external water supply.
Turn on water supply
Open valve to fridge water / ice maker and run a pitcher of water thru. Toss the first few trays of ice
Install filters

Hope this helps
This was very helpful!! Looking forward to warmer weather.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:06 PM   #4

You can delay de-winterizing until you are far enough south to be sure you are out of a freezing temperatures. Pick up a couple of gallons of cheap pink antifreeze for flushing. Use bottled water for drinking and wipes for cleaning.

Then, at your first temperature safe stop flush out the pink and start using water through the system per the instructions above.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
You can delay de-winterizing until you are far enough south to be sure you are out of a freezing temperatures. Pick up a couple of gallons of cheap pink antifreeze for flushing. Use bottled water for drinking and wipes for cleaning.

Then, at your first temperature safe stop flush out the pink and start using water through the system per the instructions above.
Looks like temperatures will only go down to 41 f before we leave. Will pack bottled water and a few gallons of pink antifreeze before heading out.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:55 AM   #6

I’ve been able to clear out all the pink antifreeze, drain the fresh water tank, and fill the fresh water tank with fresh water. The hot water is not getting hot. Looking in the manual there is a diagram of a water heater bypass with three valves. Where are these valves located/how do I access them?
Old 01-17-2021, 10:22 AM   #7

Simple method is to go outside and find the vent for the hot water heater. Usually has an access panel to work drain it and to do repairs on heater. Then do inside and find a panel that has screws or a door to access it inside. On many, this is also where the pump is located. The actual valves are in the lines and may be hidden from view. Flashlight and slowly feeling around the pipes one at a time will help. Watch a couple youtubes on hot water heaters and winterizing.

Old 01-18-2021, 11:19 AM   #8

I finally found the water heater shutoff valves. They are behind a panel (secured with four screws) beneath the refrigerator. Seems like information that could have been in the manual.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:22 AM   #9
Site Team

The manuals are so generic that they are mostly useless for details like that.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
The manuals are so generic that they are mostly useless for details like that.
Agree 100%!!
Old 01-18-2021, 01:17 PM   #11

You will need to access the valves many times over the RV's lifetime. I recommend you install hidden, self closing hinges. I cut off the threads of the screws and glued them into the holes to cover the holes. Saves a lot of time in the long run. Don't lose the screws, hard to find a match.

Old 02-02-2021, 09:16 AM   #12

Now that I have mastered dewinterization, I now need to winterize as we head north again. I have figured out how to drain and bypass the water heater. I know how to drain the water tank. I know that I need to have the pink antifreeze run through the water lines, but I am at a loss on how to get the antifreeze into the water lines. I have taken a flashlight and have looked for the elusive clear hose that supposedly sucks up the antifreeze in all of the bays. No luck finding this hose. Does anyone have a suggestion on where to find this hose and what it may look like and what it is connected to???

Tom
Melbourne 24L
Old 02-02-2021, 09:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNewtown View Post
Now that I have mastered dewinterization, I now need to winterize as we head north again. I have figured out how to drain and bypass the water heater. I know how to drain the water tank. I know that I need to have the pink antifreeze run through the water lines, but I am at a loss on how to get the antifreeze into the water lines. I have taken a flashlight and have looked for the elusive clear hose that supposedly sucks up the antifreeze in all of the bays. No luck finding this hose. Does anyone have a suggestion on where to find this hose and what it may look like and what it is connected to???

Tom
Melbourne 24L
I'm probably not much help but have you looked near the water pump? Not familiar with your Melbourne but if you don't have a wet bay like most with it there, it might be near the water pump???
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:32 AM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
with wet bay usual there's a connection for the AF-Hose, decals should show the valve settings
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:48 AM   #15

I took another look in the wet bay and couldn't identify a connection for the anti freeze hose. With cold temps and snow up north, I've decided to stay in Florida for a few more weeks. I will see if I can find someone around here to help with this issue while I'm still in warm weather.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:48 AM   #16

If you can't locate the suction hose (mine is soft, clear poly hose, very flexible, designed to fit into the top of a gallon jug) anywhere then how about using the blow out method. You need a fitting, $8 on Amazon or anywhere that sells RV stuff and an air compressor. Check your manual, I run 40 psi.

After draining tanks and low point drains I install the fitting, turn on my compressor set to 40 psi and open 1 tap at a time. Hot, then cold, until they stop spitting water. Shut off and move to next one. Let the pressure build up so the small compressor can deliver enough air. Then I wait a few minutes and do a complete round again to let water settle.
Blowout adapter on Amazon $7.49
Cheap compressor at Harbor Freight about $60
Or borrow one, bet someone at that RV park you are in will lend you one and show you how!

Old 02-03-2021, 07:48 AM   #17

Quote:
I took another look in the wet bay and couldn't identify a connection for the anti freeze hose. With cold temps and snow up north, I've decided to stay in Florida for a few more weeks. I will see if I can find someone around here to help with this issue while I'm still in warm weather.
That's great you have the flexibility to stay in FL a little longer. But I'm curious, are you posting in the Class B/C forums also? I'm surprised another Melbourne owner didn't chime in. You're in a fifth wheel forum. I know there's all kinds here, just sayin.....
Old 02-03-2021, 08:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
That's great you have the flexibility to stay in FL a little longer. But I'm curious, are you posting in the Class B/C forums also? I'm surprised another Melbourne owner didn't chime in. You're in a fifth wheel forum. I know there's all kinds here, just sayin.....
Hmm. I am relatively new here and I thought this was a general tech forum. I will try the class C forum. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2021, 08:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Hmm. I am relatively new here and I thought this was a general tech forum. I will try the class C forum. Thanks!
I could be wrong. I'm not even sure how the posts come up, lol.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:04 AM   #20

Tom do you have a gravity fill for your FW tank or do you have a wet bay command center something like this image? If you do, can you post an image of it?

If you have a gravity feed, you need to locate your water pump (follow the noise), and you will have a valve(s) right before the inlet that you need to flip
to direct the pickup to the clear hose.

If you have the wet bay configuration, you use the city hose connection to draw the antifreeze into the system. Do realize, you need a short section of hose (2-4 feet or so, shorter the better). You need to removed & flip over the cone washer, at the city water connection. The flipped cone washer presses on the backflow preventer allowing the pump to draw water into the system. Don't for get to flip it back.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wet Bay Command.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	67723

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote