Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-27-2021, 01:53 PM   #1

Hellllpppppp

We just bought a used 2012 Jayco eagle super lite 5th wheel. This is our first ever season camping. Our grey water tank seems to be full as it is backing up into the kitchen sink. However when looking at the grey water valve (what I assume is the grey water valve since the other valve says black tank on the side) it is all the way out and I am unable to push it back in even if I had wanted to close it. I’ve been doing some research and thought we would need to replace the valve which looks pretty straight forward, except our set up doesn’t look any thing like the YouTube videos I have been watching. Please help!
Attached Thumbnails
E4D29B03-192F-48D0-A146-7A9C6AE464CE.jpg   C5AD3DB0-EC0F-40FF-A238-DEA803654BC8.jpg  
Shanny2890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 02:02 PM   #2

It's a standard blade valve. 4 bolts to remove and then reinstall.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T100...90521174&psc=1
Old 04-27-2021, 02:13 PM   #3

Thank you so much for the link. I have seen those and they look simple enough. Im mainly concerned that the valves are not side by side like I have seen in the video and the top valve looks different then the bottom valve which is identical to the link you sent me. (sorry I know the picture is sideways)
Old 04-27-2021, 02:14 PM   #4

Question: Does your unit have a shower? If so, and the gray tank is indeed full, that's the first place it should show up. That's the lowest drain relative to the tank. Are you sure it's not just your sink that's stopped up?

If the valve is stuck open, and there is an "obstruction" there, it's unlikely that's water-tight. I would assume that if the gray tank is full, and the valve is unable to be closed, at least SOME liquid would be getting by the obstruction. Maybe not though...?

Either way, I would be ready for water to come out of the gray tank when you go taking those 4 bolts out... just in case...

Grumpy's right, replacing that valve isn't difficult in itself. But if you have a backup or obstruction, it can definitely get interesting...

ETA: Sorry, I see it's a fifth wheel; your shower might NOT be the lowest drain...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 02:20 PM   #5

No back up in the shower, I assumed this was because the bathroom was up the few stairs near the bedroom. My grey water 2 tank meter says its full but the only 2 valves I am able to find is the grey and the black. I am unable to find two separate grey valves. The valve is all the way open almost as if I pulled it out too far (I did not use any sort of force to open it) and im unable to push it back in even a little bit. I see no water even a small amount coming out and my sink still has water in it even after sitting for a while.
Old 04-27-2021, 02:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny2890 View Post
Thank you so much for the link. I have seen those and they look simple enough. Im mainly concerned that the valves are not side by side like I have seen in the video and the top valve looks different then the bottom valve which is identical to the link you sent me. (sorry I know the picture is sideways)
Only thing that should be different is the size 1 1/2" or 3" unless one is cable controlled.
Attached Thumbnails
cablevalve.jpg  
Old 04-27-2021, 02:37 PM   #7

Like Bob said be ready to get wet when you unbolt that valve!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 02:40 PM   #8

Here's another discussion on the forum that may help:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ank-16382.html

Is there another grey tank handle somewhere? Maybe "forward" of the one you have pictured? If you find it, make sure your sewer hose is connected before you pull it since you can't get the 2nd one closed yet.

Edit: FWIW, my dad had valves like this on one of his campers. He constantly forgot to open that "other" valve. And it was NOT easy to find on his camper.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 03:35 PM   #9

Gray water can and does stink worse than black!!
Be careful....
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 06:07 PM   #10

I searched high and low for another valve and didnt find another one
Old 04-27-2021, 06:53 PM   #11

Quote:
I searched high and low for another valve and didnt find another one
The specs say 65 gal grey water so that sounds like one tank. Also if there was a 2nd tank there would be another pipe coming into the sewer hose connection from the other side or a second sewer hose connection
Old 04-27-2021, 07:18 PM   #12

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned. Are you sure the valve is close or open? One of my valves looks like it's open but it's not. You have to pull it some more. And the other one looks like it is closed but it's not. So just try gently moving them the other direction so as not to break them. Maybe it's something that simple.

Larry
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:44 PM   #13

Quote:
No back up in the shower, I assumed this was because the bathroom was up the few stairs near the bedroom. My grey water 2 tank meter says its full but the only 2 valves I am able to find is the grey and the black. I am unable to find two separate grey valves. The valve is all the way open almost as if I pulled it out too far (I did not use any sort of force to open it) and im unable to push it back in even a little bit. I see no water even a small amount coming out and my sink still has water in it even after sitting for a while.
Most 5er's have two gray tanks. Gray and gally. My kitchen was in the rear so the gally valve was in the back away from the other two.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:13 PM   #14

My Eagle Ht has 2 grey tanks. One for the bathroom sink and shower, one for the kitchen sink. The valve for the second grey tank is sort of behind the tire. Then it is plumbed into the main drain pipe. Its not easy to see the valve at all.
ceasare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:31 PM   #15

As a related note.... I opened the bottom of my trailer today to try to find a leak. I was surprised how little support the grey and black tanks have.

Larry
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote