Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-05-2024, 12:46 PM   #1

Help!!

I am trying to grease the wheels. Step one to remove the caps on the wheels and having no luck. I tapped the one seen here with a rubber mallet to loosen it. It is now loose and spinning on the assembly but will not come off. I haven't done this in years, but don't remember it being this difficult. I will blame it on operator error.
Attached Thumbnails
20240505_144006[1].jpg  
Old 05-05-2024, 12:55 PM   #2

I can't tell from the image, but many caps like that only come off once the wheel is off and are simply pushed inward. ~CA (also I would make sure that the spider is dead)
Old 05-05-2024, 01:08 PM   #3

Dang, that's no good. I hadn't planned on taking the wheel off to grease the bearings. Thanks
Old 05-05-2024, 01:09 PM   #4

Doesn't the cap with the Jayco logo pop off giving you access to the rubber cover over the EZ lube grease zirk? Personally I don't like using the EZ lube but I have the same covers just without the Jayco logo and that is how mine work.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 01:15 PM   #5

You mean the small cap with the logo? I didn't think of that let me try that and will update thanks
Old 05-05-2024, 01:16 PM   #6

Picture below for reference.....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20240505_121302985_HDR.jpg  
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 01:22 PM   #7

Thank You, that helps a lot
Old 05-05-2024, 02:12 PM   #8

It's much, much easier if you remove the wheel first. Trying to do it by just removing the plastic top from the cover is extremely messy with grease going everywhere. I place a small cardboard box under the hub to catch the expelled grease. It helps if you have a helper to rotate the hub while you slowly pump the grease.

When I do mine I remove both wheels on one side and the rotate them front to back after I finish lubing the hubs.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 02:20 PM   #9

While on this subject, does anyone know where I can find some of those plastic caps with or without the logo on them? I have lost two of them so far and I don't want to pay the cost of getting the whole cover ($65?)
2018 RAM 1500 Express Air Lift 1000HD
OTR AGIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 03:25 PM   #10
jtw

Be careful not to over grease it, If you pump too much in it will blow by the seal and get all over your brake shoes and drums. I prefer to jack up each wheel spin tire while greasing, now is also a good time to check brake adjustment, you want a slight drag while turning.
Old 05-05-2024, 03:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
Picture below for reference.....

That did it , Thank You. I need to order more grease. It took about 2.5 tubes for 2 wheels and one more left. Amazon here I come
Old 05-05-2024, 04:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtw View Post
Be careful not to over grease it, If you pump too much in it will blow by the seal and get all over your brake shoes and drums. I prefer to jack up each wheel spin tire while greasing, now is also a good time to check brake adjustment, you want a slight drag while turning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
It's much, much easier if you remove the wheel first. Trying to do it by just removing the plastic top from the cover is extremely messy with grease going everywhere. I place a small cardboard box under the hub to catch the expelled grease. It helps if you have a helper to rotate the hub while you slowly pump the grease.

When I do mine I remove both wheels on one side and the rotate them front to back after I finish lubing the hubs.

Thank you both. This brake thing is above my pay grade. I had mine converted to disc brakes shortly after buying, so no drums. It was actually not messy at all, removed the cap and then the rubber cap on the grease nipple. It was very clean. I turned the wheel as I pumped. Had no idea a tube could exhaust itself so fast. I used 2 1/2 tubes on two tires. Have one left and going to Lowes to pick up two more to be safe. I was "the helper" lol. As far as brake adjustment, again, way above my pay grade, however, there is definitely a slight drag while turning. I should add I used the hydraulic legs to raise camper on one side, just barely off the ground. I called my dealer and he said it was fine but not to raise to high because of the suspension. My bride was inside getting the linens ready for our next trip, so I had to wait, felt better with slides closed before raising. I pumped, while turning the wheels, until the old grease started coming out and not an issue at all wiping and wiping. I will finish tomorrow, thank you all your help, mechanic I am not.
Old 05-05-2024, 05:04 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
I will finish tomorrow, thank you all your help, mechanic I am not.
But you are well in your way to becoming one.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 08:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
X2! Lol!
Drum to disc brake conversion was probably one of the best upgrades you could have done. Disc brakes have no adjustment.
Also, good job on spinning the tire/wheel when greasing! Most people don't, including the rv service techs, and then wonder why there is grease blown out all over everything.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 02:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
X2! Lol!
Drum to disc brake conversion was probably one of the best upgrades you could have done. Disc brakes have no adjustment.
Also, good job on spinning the tire/wheel when greasing! Most people don't, including the rv service techs, and then wonder why there is grease blown out all over everything.

Thanks, I am handy, but know when I have exceeded my pay grade. I love the disc brakes, best $3600 spent on the camper. I was commenting to my wife a couple of days ago how much better the truck brakes with the camper attached. I did watch the Dexter EZ-Lube video that helped a lot. I will finish it today God willing, and proceed to washing the bugs off before our next trip.
Old 05-11-2024, 11:49 AM   #16

Must remove wheel.

Yup, you have to take the entire wheel off if you want to grease the hub bearings without using the grease zerks.

Major hassle.
Steck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 11:56 AM   #17
BWG

Order them from your dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTR AGIN View Post
While on this subject, does anyone know where I can find some of those plastic caps with or without the logo on them? I have lost two of them so far and I don't want to pay the cost of getting the whole cover ($65?)
I lost one so I called my Jayco dealer (Sky River in Paso Robles CA), gave the parts guy my VIN and credit card number. I ordered two caps and two stickers for a little over $20 plus shipping. They were delivered to my door in about two weeks.
BWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 06:19 PM   #18

The most important thing to remember when greasing EZLube bearings (which are NOT the same thing as the old Bearing Buddys that used to be used by some) is that you must keep rotating the wheel while greasing to avoid blowing out the inner seal! Here’s a pretty good video on how it’s done.
https://youtu.be/fAIVTfwS14w?si=aaXKIZ6KLJcOm8UA
GaryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 04:20 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
The most important thing to remember when greasing EZLube bearings (which are NOT the same thing as the old Bearing Buddys that used to be used by some) is that you must keep rotating the wheel while greasing to avoid blowing out the inner seal! Hereís a pretty good video on how itís done.
https://youtu.be/fAIVTfwS14w?si=aaXKIZ6KLJcOm8UA

Yes, my arms got a workout spinning the tires. I did watch that video, thanks
Old 05-22-2024, 10:27 PM   #20

If you use the ezlube method, you might get lucky and have the grease stay in the hub. Or you might make an unholy mess inside your brake drum, ruining your brake shoes. It could go either way.
Learn to take the wheel off and repack the bearings and inspect the brakes.
Don't rely on ezlube. You'll be happy you did.

If you do use ezlube, maybe get yourself one of those tiny endoscopes and get a look inside the drums for gobs of grease.

But after almost 5 years of messing with the drum brakes, I stopped using ezlube in the second year, and converted to disc brakes last year.

Funny thing is- now I could go back to ezlube, because on the disc brakes, the rear seal is located away from the brakes, so if it leaks now, it will just go to the ground. And I can easily eyeball the seal without removing anything.